It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2003, 02:53 PM   #1

tracey2775 HB User
Post One big thump in chest

Appart from the usual fast beats/fluttering and funny flip flop heart beats, does anyone get what feels like one big thump? It aslo makes me light headed for that split second. It almost feels like my heart has fallen onto the floor.

------------------
tracey

Old 10-25-2003, 03:33 PM   #2
Inactive

gigi777 HB User
yes tracey i get those too. Ive been taking magnesium 500mg and it has made the pvcs so much better. Maybe that might help you too. I know these things are so scary.

[This message has been edited by gigi777 (edited 10-25-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2003, 03:44 PM   #3

tracey2775 HB User
Hi Gigi, thanks for responding. I used to take magnesium regular but now the doctor has put me on beta blockers. The first couple of days, my heart was so calm, it frightened me i couldnt feel it beating, but now my palps have returned. There not as bad as what they have been but they still send me inot a panic attack. Can i still take magnesium while on these meds? Cos i know if you have an underactive thyroid, you need to consult your doctor so maybe you have to with these as well.

------------------
tracey

Old 10-25-2003, 03:53 PM   #4
Inactive

gigi777 HB User
I really don't know. I always heard magnesium wasnt toxic but i don't know about mixing them with meds. I tried inderal once about 5 years ago and it made me feel the darn things more. so i havent taken meds since then. Just started mag about 2 months ago and it seems to quiet them down some for me. Ive got alot information and help from a group on the internet called peoplewithpvcs [url="http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/PeoplewithPVCs/messages/26875"]http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/PeoplewithPVCs/messages/26875[/url] this group is awesome and so informative.
Take care

Old 10-27-2003, 06:54 PM   #5

parkermom HB User
what was your diagnosis??

Old 10-28-2003, 04:50 PM   #6
(male)

Just tired HB User
Hi. I usually don't post but this is something that I have experiance in. The large thump that you feel is usually caused by your heart "skipping " a beat. Without getting to technical, your heart has a premature beat then does a double rest before beating again. Nothing to worry about unless you have a underlying condition. While your heart rests the blood flow does not stop and you get an an over-supply of blood. When your heart beats again, it has almost twice the blood in it. This sends a surge throughout your body that will startle you. In my case, this used to really scare me. But after 30 yrs., I figure that if it was really bad, it would have killed me already. As for medication, I have tried whatever the doctor gave me with no success. But I learned to live with it. But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to find a med that would help you.
As for feeling faint or passing out, my understanding is that you can only pass out if the blood flow to the brain decreases. When you get this "thump" in your chest, it usually increases your anxiety level and makes your heart pump faster increasing the blood flow. I have anxiety with panic attacks and have had this condition for over 30 years. My doctor has stopped giving me all these anti-anxiety meds since most of the time the side effects of these drugs are usually worse the the condition they are designed to help. The only drug I take is Ativan on an "use as needed" basis which I place under my tounge as soon as I feel a panic attack coming.
Hope this helps.

Old 06-11-2004, 12:14 AM   #7

bbsal HB User
Re: One big thump in chest

what you described is exactly what im having.it seems to do it out of no were!it like to do it alot after i drink or eat for some reason.i feel a weird sensation in my chest almost like i got to burp then boom i get a big thump right under my left rib cage.its very scary and sent me to the er last week.im going to the heart doctor in another week since the er told me everything looks fine with the heart.all they did was a xray,blood work and a ekg.i dont think thats enough to tell me its ok yet,maybe after a ultrasound or some better testing will i stop worrying.hopefully this new heart doc will find whats wrong with me.

Old 07-20-2004, 02:27 AM   #8

jcomeau HB User
Re: One big thump in chest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsal
what you described is exactly what im having.it seems to do it out of no were!it like to do it alot after i drink or eat for some reason.i feel a weird sensation in my chest almost like i got to burp then boom i get a big thump right under my left rib cage.its very scary and sent me to the er last week.im going to the heart doctor in another week since the er told me everything looks fine with the heart.all they did was a xray,blood work and a ekg.i dont think thats enough to tell me its ok yet,maybe after a ultrasound or some better testing will i stop worrying.hopefully this new heart doc will find whats wrong with me.
What's wrong is that you keep [URL=http://justinspence.com/salwise.htm]scamming people on eBay[/URL] and in the Lexus Owner's club. Your food and drink were purchased with stolen money. Maybe jail food will be better for you... you're going to find out pretty soon, one way or the other. Your days of living off other peoples' suffering are coming to an end.

Last edited by jcomeau; 07-20-2004 at 02:35 AM. Reason: link didn't come out right

Closed Thread