It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2003, 09:48 AM   #1

Mr. Strangeheart HB User
Post Questions for Anyone with SVT - Is it Supposed to Feel Like This?.

Hello,

I'm a newby to this message board. I have been diagnosed with SVT, sinus tachycardia, PVC's and PAC's after wearing an event monitor earlier this year. My SVT episodes are almost always very short - a few seconds ususually. They are always quick to begin and quick to end. What is strange is that they do not all feel the same. Sometimes the fluttering is so subtle I hardly notice it. And sometimes it feels like the heart is just going to rumble its way right out of my chest because it is so rough.

Usually, I don't get too light-headed or anything - unless the episode goes on for say more than 15 or 20 seconds. But what is concerning me is that yesterday I had about a ten-second episode which made me EXTREMELY light-headed immediately when it started. I've never become so light-headed so quickly before. This kind of has me spooked because it acted differently than anything I have experienced before. I'm worried now about the potential for ventricular tachycardia.

Has anyone else with diagnosed SVT experienced quick-onset of profound light-headedness or dizziness after only a few seconds of the tachycardia?

For those of you with diagnosed SVT, do you notice that there are differences in how they feel? Sometimes the heart pounds, sometimes it is soft, sometimes dizzy, sometimes not?

Thanks...I would really appreciate hearing from you.

-Mr. Stangeheart.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2003, 06:10 PM   #2

khudsonwv HB User
sorry to hear of your problem - i know that it is aggravating. it sounds like you have psvt - paroxymal sinus ventricular tachycardia. it comes on quick and goes quick - sometime not causing any problems and sometimes causing blackout spells etc. it is not life threatening - only really scary - however if you have a spell at the wrong time i.e. driving etc it can be extremely dangerous. speak with a good cardiologist or electrophysiologist. it can be helped with meds (didn't work for me - made me too sick), or by ablation (had three) or at the worst a pacemaker (got mine last week - i am 34). best of luck to you - take care of yourself....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2003, 07:26 PM   #3

Mr. Strangeheart HB User
Thanks for your response khudsonwv. I really appreciate it. So, in your experience with SVT, did you ever have episodes that very quickly (like within a few seconds) made you feel like you were going to black out?

Old 10-24-2003, 07:37 PM   #4

Mr. Strangeheart HB User
Hi khudsonwv,

(I thought I posted a message to you once but then I did not see it appear so I am trying again. I guess I'm still getting the hang of this).

I appreciate your response very much. Thank you. As always, it is nice to talk to someone who can relate. So, specifically, do you ever remember having episodes of SVT that left you profoundly light-headed after just a few seconds?

Old 10-25-2003, 08:17 PM   #5

khudsonwv HB User
i definately remember many episodes like that - that is exactly what psvt does. i had one episode in may - where it hit so fast that before i knew it i fell and cracked my head open on the kitchen counter. i was in the hospital for a week. that was by far my worst episode - but it left me afraid to drive or to be alone with my kids ( i have a 2yr old and an 8 yr old) - these episodes are usually associated with ringing or buzzing in my ears and a tunnel vision effect and my heart rate usually shoots up to 250 bpm and only lasts for 1 minute if that. i was tried on many meds but could not tolerate any. then had a total of 10 ablations which backfired and i got a pacemaker last week (i am only 34)...i hope i answered your question - i have been thru a lot in two yrs and also worked for a group of cardiologists so i got a lot of info on this.. let me know if you have any other questions.. good luck

[This message has been edited by khudsonwv (edited 10-25-2003).]

Old 10-25-2003, 09:34 PM   #6

Mr. Strangeheart HB User
Hi khudsonwv,

Wow! Thanks for your help. I've been so depressed since this last episode - thinking that it could be something worse than just SVT. This sounds strange I know but it is nice to know that SVT can do this. I was really worried it could have been V-tach. I know the heart monitor is the only way to know for sure but I feel better for now - THANK YOU.

I am a 42 year old male. My doctor thinks I have some type of autoimmune collagen vascular disease. I have many symptoms including raynauds in my hands and feet, digestive problems, cold sensitivity, shortness of breath, skin changes, swallowing discomfort, heart palpitations, etc. etc. etc. (Gosh! This sounds terrible but really I look normal and carry on with life pretty much as normal). I have been through more medical testing over the past two years than I care to discuss. But the palpitations are my biggest concern. They are the one symptom that makes me feel like I'm just going to keel over!

Do you know the cause of your SVT? Do you also notice that you get an increased number of PVC's and PAC's too? Is your pacemaker helping?

-Mr. Strangeheart.

Old 10-26-2003, 04:37 PM   #7

khudsonwv HB User
well i can guarantee that what caused my svt did not cause yours - lol - mine was brought on by the birth of my second daughter. it actually caused several arrythmias. from svt, psvt, afib, atrial flutter, inappropriate sinus tach, pvc and pacs. the pacemaker has helped the problem cause i am no longer in heart block... the day i got my pacemaker - i had a run of v-tach - it was horrible and i actually thought i was dying - luckily i was in the hospital when it happened and boy you should have seen the nurses come running..lol .. but it only happened because my heart muscle was stressed from the pacemaker insertion.. i truly wish you the best - i know how annoying the constant tests etc can be- try to hang in there....

Old 10-27-2003, 08:46 AM   #8

Mr. Strangeheart HB User
Yep...you are definitely right that we don't share the same cause for our palpitations!

So, I'm curious...how did the V-tach feel differently than the SVT?

Old 10-27-2003, 09:14 AM   #9

NMc HB User
Hi Strangeheart:
The skin changes you mention, do these include development of dark red spots on your trunk, upper thighs, and/or arms?

Old 10-27-2003, 08:09 PM   #10

Mr. Strangeheart HB User
Hi,

No, actually my skin-change is different than that. It looks pretty much normal unless it is irritated by something - then it gets very red, irritated and inflamed-looking. I get terrible rashes from bandages if they are on for more than a couple days.

My skin also "dents" in more than it used too - like I am retaining fluids. Normally this would make me consider "heart" as a cause but this has been going on for 2 1/2 years - much longer than any heart symptoms I've had. I showed this to my doctor once and asked him what would cause this and he said perhaps vasoconstriction of the blood vessels (which happens in scleroderma, lupus, and other similar diseases).

I probably didn't help you much huh! Do you have an autoimmune disease?

-Strangeheart.

Old 10-28-2003, 08:37 AM   #11

NMc HB User
Hi Strangeheart:
I don't have an autoimmune disorder but I do have similar symptoms as you. I'm still awaiting the results of tests to rule out (or confirm) something called Fabry's disease - specifically, the "cardiac variant" form of the disease. I was struck by your description of symptoms (Raynaud's, palpitations, cold intolerance, shortness of breath, etc.) and wondered if your "skin changes" may have been the angiokeratomas associated with Fabry's. I was going to suggest you ask your doctor to test for levels of the enzyme Alpha-galactosidase-a, if your description of skin changes pointed towards angiokeratomas. Have any of the tests you've undergone examined RA factor?

Old 10-28-2003, 05:08 PM   #12

khudsonwv HB User
my svt and psvt episodes where awful- during the episode i usually thought that i would die before they were over - but the v tach episode i had in the hospital was much worse - it actually felt like the bed moved and it just totally took my breath - i think i actually saw my life flash before my eyes - my husband saw the look on my face and knew something was really wrong and he ran for the nurses station but they had already saw it on my monitor and came running to me. they said that i had 18 beats of v tach but i really only felt three - which was bad enough. the cardiothoracic surgeon said that it was cause by the trauma to my heart from the pacemaker. i guess he was right it has not - thank god - happened again. it is really hard to explain the difference but there truely is... i didn't think anything could be worse than my psvt episodes but i was wrong.... hope this helps.. you shoudl really consider seeing an electrophysiologist - they specialize in arrythmias and an EP study could possibly pin point your problem..

take care

Old 10-28-2003, 07:42 PM   #13

Mr. Strangeheart HB User
Hi NMc,

I appreciate the suggestion about Fabry's disease - that is the first I've heard of that one - and I've researched some strange ones over the past couple of years!LOL

I took a few minutes and checked the web about Fabry's disease. I can see why it peaked your curiosity but it doest not quite fit for me. I have soooo many symptoms that correspond to some type of collagen vascular disease. Actually, I have been pretty sure for a couple years that that is what I was dealing with and just now my doctors are starting to believe it too. The problem is that we still don't know which collagen vascular disease it is - sometimes these diseases stay "undifferentiated" and never actually develop into a named disease. All my blood tests are always negative which does not help either.

I hope for your sake you do have some easily treatable disease. It sounds like this "Fabry's Disease" can be treated.

Thanks again...Strangeheart:^)

Old 10-28-2003, 07:48 PM   #14

Mr. Strangeheart HB User
Thanks khudsonwv,

I appreciate all the information you have provided me. That VT episode sounds terrible - just terrible. Your description of it scared me even - because I, like you, feel that just the SVT episodes are going to kill me. The one I had a few days ago must have been going really fast because usually I can feel the fluttering in my chest but this time I did not even feel that - it just hit like "BOOM" out of nowhere. It is a good thing I was sitting down in a nice comfy chair when it happened because I thought I was "going down for the count." But I'm still here!

Thanks again for all your help. Are you a regular member to this message board? I'd like to talk to you again in the future maybe.

-Strangeheart:^)

Old 10-30-2003, 10:31 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Just wanted to share some of my experiences with you just in case it could be of help.

I have had high blood pressure and heart beating problems for about 20 years.

I am on a calcium channel blocker(CCB), and an Ace Inhibitor(ACE), Digoxin and Warfarin. If I eat or drink any product that contains calcium, within two hours of my taking my CCB or my Digoxin, I'll get heart beating problems, such as a strong, rapid heartbeat that might last all night. When it gets real strong, the beating is clearly visible and will make my shirt jump.

I am very cautious of taking multiple heart medicines since, in most cases, they have never been tested together, and the side effects are numerous. The more different meds are combined, the more chance of a bad interaction or increased side effects. Unfortunately, I have to take more than one heart med, but I've stopped taking certain meds that do not work well with the ones that I am on.

I have found out that I experience fewer side effects if I separate my different meds by up to two hours, including my vitamins/minerals.

My heart never beats correctly. It is always skipping beats, or thumping, or jumping, or racing. My heartbeat and blood pressure are both effected by allergens, the pollens in the air, the pollution in the air, chemicals, dyes, cotton, dust, certain foods, newsprint, stress, carbonless paper, etc.

My problems also get worse after 8pm (ref: circadian rhythm).

I have been under the care of a great Cardiologist, for many years, who has kept me doing quite well, despite the problems I have with my heart. I have found out that the more I understand what causes my heart to misbehave, the better I can manage it.

I have kept a log of my blood pressure readings for the past six years, totally about 12,500 BP readings. By keeping a log I have found out about how widely my blood pressure varies based on the hour of the day, based on when I take certain meds, and based on encountering certain irritants. The log has also helped my to track what irritants contribute to making my heart beat incorrectly.

Best of luck and health to you.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Closed Thread