It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2003, 05:25 PM   #1

khudsonwv HB User
Question pacemaker

After suffering from PSVT, afib, aflutter, svt, and inappropriate sinus tach - i tried all of the meds, went thru two ablations with a total of 10 areas burned - ended up in heart block and bradycardia - and now at the age of 34 got a pacemaker last week. My question is this - i was told that the pacemaker insertion would take 20-30 minutes tops - no big deal. however i came out of surgery 3 hours later - cut on at both the left and right clavicals and so bruised and sore that i felt i had been in a fight. on top of that they had punctured my left lung. they indicated that once they entered the left side ( i am right handed ) that the area between my clavical and ribs was too tight and the my veins were too small for the leads - after trying for 1 1/2 hrs they gave up and went to the right were it was eventually placed. Has anyone else had this problem - i was not even warned of the possibility. i know there are kids who have pacemakers and i am definately larger than a child - although i am thin (5'7 130lbs). i would appreciate any input from anyone who has recently had a pacemaker placed.. thanks so much

Old 10-25-2003, 09:20 PM   #2

dettiger2003 HB User
I am 21 years old I've had a pacemaker for as long as I can remember when I got my third one, they put it on my right side should blade, it took awhile it all depends on the doctor and your body. The reason you were so sore, (right by the pacemaker I am assuming) is because they are going moving your musles and breaking tissue to insert the pacemaker. I could not move my right arm for a month. It hurt really bad for about a week. The soreness goes away after awhile. I don't know why they could not insert the pacemaker but i was told that they might not be able to put it on my right side before I went into surgery they did a cath to make sure, my cardiologist told me before hand that I might wake up with to scars. Anyway, I hope this answers some of your question.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2003, 09:44 AM   #3
Inactive

CLC1 HB User
There's a possibility I might have to get a pacemaker...I'm only 19...I'm just praying I don't have to get one.

Old 10-26-2003, 03:28 PM   #4

khudsonwv HB User
thanks for your reply det.. i appreciate it.. i actually have no problem on the side where they put the pacemaker (the right side) - not any pain etc from it... my pacemaker does make a clicking noise that it a little annoying at times.. it is just my left arm - where they tried to get it that is terribly painful. it seems to be getting worse instead of better.. i am hoping with time it will even out... to the person who stated they might get a pacemaker - hang in there - the pacemaker was a piece of cake and i actually feel better for having it.. best of luck to both of you

Old 10-29-2003, 02:23 PM   #5

Mr. Strangeheart HB User
Hi khudsonwv,

I have a question for you. I'm not at the point where a pacemaker would be considered but everything I read says pacemakers are NOT typically used for treating tachycardias. I realize in your case you had to get the pacemaker due to your bradycardia (from your ablation) but what I am wondering is this -does your pacemaker help with your tachycardia too? If so, how does it accomplish this?

Thanks....Strangeheart:^)

Old 10-30-2003, 09:55 AM   #6
Inactive

DJblod HB User
you can't get tachycardia from a supraventricular source if you have heart block!

Old 11-10-2003, 06:11 PM   #7

khudsonwv HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJblod
you can't get tachycardia from a supraventricular source if you have heart block!
i did not say that i have svt with heart block - i had an ablasion to get rid of the svt - too much of the area was burned and i ended up with bradycardia episodes and in heart block.. sorry for the confusion - the pacemaker was due to the heart block not the tach.

Old 11-10-2003, 06:15 PM   #8

khudsonwv HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Strangeheart
Hi khudsonwv,

I have a question for you. I'm not at the point where a pacemaker would be considered but everything I read says pacemakers are NOT typically used for treating tachycardias. I realize in your case you had to get the pacemaker due to your bradycardia (from your ablation) but what I am wondering is this -does your pacemaker help with your tachycardia too? If so, how does it accomplish this?

Thanks....Strangeheart:^)
sorry for the delay - i have been in the hospital (AGAIN) - the pacemaker was inserted to take care of the heart block not the svt (the ablation took care of that) - a pacemaker cannot keep the svts from happening only the brady episodes.... i still have a small chance of having svt - most people would then be put on a beta blocker (in addition to a pacemaker) but i cannot tolerate the beta blockers due to low blood pressure... hope this answered your questions

Old 11-18-2003, 11:10 PM   #9
(male)

Kolar HB User
Heart block

dettiger2003,

My son Nathan was diagnosed with complete heart block in October 2002 at Childrenís Hospital of Michigan. He is 2 1/2 years old. He was fine until his 18-month check-up. Thatís when they notice a low heart rate. They are just keeping an eye on him for now. Just wondering if you had something like that, and hows life with the pacemaker?

Old 11-19-2003, 01:27 PM   #10

dettiger2003 HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolar
dettiger2003,

My son Nathan was diagnosed with complete heart block in October 2002 at Children’s Hospital of Michigan. He is 2 1/2 years old. He was fine until his 18-month check-up. That’s when they notice a low heart rate. They are just keeping an eye on him for now. Just wondering if you had something like that, and hows life with the pacemaker?
Yeah sort of like that I was born with transpostion of the great vessels I have sick sinus, and I have irregular hearts beats. By the way who is your son's doctor at children's I go there too. The pacemake is fine I have 6 month check up at childrens and go into a fib once in a great while but honestly I never think about it... it's just there.

Old 11-19-2003, 08:08 PM   #11
(male)

Kolar HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by dettiger2003
Yeah sort of like that I was born with transpostion of the great vessels I have sick sinus, and I have irregular hearts beats. By the way who is your son's doctor at children's I go there too. The pacemake is fine I have 6 month check up at childrens and go into a fib once in a great while but honestly I never think about it... it's just there.
His doctor is Michael Epstein. My son was there in March 2003. He is supposed have his check-ups once a year for Know. Until he shows some symptoms. His heart rate stays at about 55 bpm. ( I think normal is about 100 bpm for his age.) He acts like a normal kid, he never slows down...

Old 11-19-2003, 11:08 PM   #12

dettiger2003 HB User
Re: pacemaker

I see peter karpawitch. They are great over there I have been going there all my life. Yeah when I was little too I never stopped I got my pacemaker when I was 3 or 4 I kept fainting but it was really that my heart was stopping they didn't know it yet. I'm not really pacemaker dependent because if it stopped working which it has before my heart beats at 30 beats per minute. I hope that everything turns out well for you and your son. I think that it is better too growing up knowing about what you have and living with it when you are young because when you are young you think you are invincible, in fact sometimes I think I still am... Good luck and keep my updated on your son I will be praying for him.

Old 11-20-2003, 11:58 PM   #13

beaker returns HB User
Smile Re: pacemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLC1
There's a possibility I might have to get a pacemaker...I'm only 19...I'm just praying I don't have to get one.
Hello there CLC1, Im now 26 last year i suffered sudden death cardic arrest, the only way to stop my heart from doing its little thing that it does was for me to get an ICD, With in the last year of having this device, it has saved my life twice, I know that being so young worries you, but trust me once you find out that the device has just saved your life you are very thankful for it afterward. What is your reason for possibly getting a pacemaker? See i have a problem that no one can seem to figure out, i have been to several doctors across the nation, and they still have no idea what is going on with my heart. My heart likes to beat at the normal rate of say 60 but then it will just like to go to 300 bpm or so and then before i get shocked within the time limit it corrects itself and goes back to the 60bpm. Well If you do have to get a pacemaker all i can say is that when i woke from my coma and heard that i had an ICD(which is like a pacemaker) i was ****** off, but now that it has saved my life a couple of times im thankful for it. Good luck to you

Old 11-21-2003, 03:45 PM   #14

khudsonwv HB User
Re: Heart block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolar
dettiger2003,

My son Nathan was diagnosed with complete heart block in October 2002 at Children’s Hospital of Michigan. He is 2 1/2 years old. He was fine until his 18-month check-up. That’s when they notice a low heart rate. They are just keeping an eye on him for now. Just wondering if you had something like that, and hows life with the pacemaker?
My slow heart rate and heart block was actual caused due to a cardiac ablation - my rate was staying around 31 and bp was 70s/40s.. the pace maker has made huge change with my heart rate - obviously now i cannot go below 60 and we are considering raising my rate to 70... still have some arrythmia but it is much better - as for the pacemaker itself i can varely tell that it is there - i had no problem with the sight - just the problem on the opposite side where the doctor could not get it in - i still have nerve damage but it should resolve soon i hope.. i have only rare restriction - no jack hammers (lol) like i would use one anyway and i have to use the cell phone on the opposite side - no MRIs etc. i wish you and your son the best of luck

Last edited by khudsonwv; 11-21-2003 at 03:48 PM.

Old 11-21-2003, 03:53 PM   #15

khudsonwv HB User
Re: pacemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker returns
Hello there CLC1, Im now 26 last year i suffered sudden death cardic arrest, the only way to stop my heart from doing its little thing that it does was for me to get an ICD, With in the last year of having this device, it has saved my life twice, I know that being so young worries you, but trust me once you find out that the device has just saved your life you are very thankful for it afterward. What is your reason for possibly getting a pacemaker? See i have a problem that no one can seem to figure out, i have been to several doctors across the nation, and they still have no idea what is going on with my heart. My heart likes to beat at the normal rate of say 60 but then it will just like to go to 300 bpm or so and then before i get shocked within the time limit it corrects itself and goes back to the 60bpm. Well If you do have to get a pacemaker all i can say is that when i woke from my coma and heard that i had an ICD(which is like a pacemaker) i was ****** off, but now that it has saved my life a couple of times im thankful for it. Good luck to you
AS anyone mentioned the diagnosis of PSVT - sudden increase in heart rate that comes on suddenly and goes away suddenly - also drops your BP - making you go out???? that is what i had my rate only went to 250 which was bad enough - have you gone to an electrophysiologist? they specialize in heart rythm abnormalities.. GOOD LUCK

Closed Thread