It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #1
(female)

4thof4 HB User
heart pounds after quickly bending over and standing back up

My heart starts pounding sometimes upon uprighting myself when I bend over to get something. It isn't every time that this happens but sometimes. It will pound/race for a minute or so afterward, usually, but today when I bent over to pick up the shampoo bottle the pounding (I can see my chest shaking) lasted for about 10 min. I don't have any pain with this but do feel out of breath, in a way. I keep taking deep breaths as if I need to "catch up" on my breathing. Otherwise, I can breathe normally until my heart suddenly goes back to normal. I also wanted to add that sometimes my heart will race all on it own....no rhyme or reason but I notice it mostly after bending over to pick up something and then I stand backup and it starts pounding. This occurs every few months or so, so far. Today it lasted a long time. The longest time yet. I was beginning to be concerned and then it finally stopped. I must say that right after this latest attack I noticed feeling more tired but was breathing fine and not feeling faint etc. I still feel a little tired, 4 hours later, but not as good as I was feeling prior to this attack in the shower this morning.

Can anyone please tell me what this is? Should I be concerned?

Thanks!!

Old 03-21-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
(female)

4thof4 HB User
Re: heart pounds after quickly bending over and standing back up

I also wanted to add that I do have, and always have, have low blood pressure. Like 90/60 or so. Could this be part of the problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2008, 07:06 AM   #3
(female)

Sheilia01 HB User

My heart started racing whenever I had to bend over and pick things up while doing household chores etc.. The first time was 6 years ago. I bent over and I felt my heart skip a beat then bam..my heart was racing! It scared me to death even though it only lasted about a minute, then bam, another skip and it was back to normal. A few weeks later it happened again and lasted about 10-15 minutes. Then it was happening about every week. I went to the ER a few times during these "tach attacks" but by the time I got there my heart converted back to normal. On Valentines Day, this year, it happened again. I went to the ER because after 30 minutes I still had it. It was finally caught on the EKG, I was told I had PSVT. I already knew thats what I had from all the research I did online. I had all kinds of heart tests done and was told my heart was fine. There are several manuvers you can do to stop an attack. They don't usually work very well for me though. I don't know about you, but when it happens to me, I also have a panic attack. I was put on ATENOLOL to slow my heart rate and maybe stop the attacks. (It's ususlly used for high blood pressure which I don't have, but also slows the heart) I have read many articles where women are diagnosed with panic attacks and what they really had was PSVT. It's NOT dangerous, you don't die from it. Just do a search on "PSVT" and see if it fits your symptoms. Keep us posted. Hope this helps.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:58 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

maybe it is your blood preasure from standing up and it is not adjusting back to normal

Old 03-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #5
(male)

Lukelyus HB User

I've had this problem too. It's not a regular thing, it's not like it happens EVERY time I bend down and stand up again but it certainly does happen to me every now and then.

To be honest, it scares the crap out of me when it does happen.

Particularly one time when I happened to be participating in sports at school, it just suddenly kicked in while I was running and it kept on... and on... and on for what felt like forever, I thought I was going to die that time.

I still kept on running though, because I wasn't sure I wanted people to be concerned about me and let's be honest I really didn't know what I was doing! I just kept running. And it kept right on. And when I finally got inside and sat down it flicked off again pretty quickly after sitting down, however I felt really really ill and totally drained and faint for the rest of the day.

It's about the closest to death I think I've honestly ever felt.

But, I'm sure, that it's not actually a bad thing is it? I'm aware it's something that just happens to people who are sometimes not always physically fit and is related to blood pressure not returning to normal as quickly as it should, so the heart kinda *kicks* to bring it back? Is that correct...?

Old 03-25-2008, 07:23 PM   #6
(female)

4thof4 HB User

Yes yes Luke! It doesn't occur very often but when it does, it is scary. I usually just remain calm and keep trying to breathe through it. I don't panic like a previous poster does and I do remain calm. I'm a very laid back person by nature so I am able to be calm and just wait until it stops. This last time in the shower, though, was a long time before it went back to normal and I was getting concerned. I hate it when it does it though and I'm never sure when/if I should go to the hospital for it. I think if I had to do the holter monitor, nothing would be recorded because it occurs so infrequently. Anyway. Thanks for all of the replies! I'm interested on how much of this has to do with physical fitness and/or blood pressure. I plan on going to the Dr about it as I would like to know exactly what it is.

Thanks!

Old 04-06-2008, 09:11 AM   #7
(male)

sbarron76 HB User

I got this after the birth of my baby...and i still have it...

IT is postural tachycardia syndrome

Closed Thread