It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2003, 04:13 PM   #1

YesterdaysChild HB User
Post almost blanking out/passing out?

I've had premature beats/hard thumps/irregular beats since 20, and now I'm 29. Lately, I've noticed something different. Usually, when I get skipped beats, I feel like I'm dropping for a split second or I cough to catch my breath. Lately, I feel like the skipped beats is going to my brain... like I'm going ot faint for a split second. I haven't gotten an echo yet but my EKG was a little bit abnormal but the doc said because I'm young, I don't need to worry. Anyone almost faint like me?

Old 10-12-2003, 06:20 PM   #2

parkermom HB User
First of all, you need to get an Echocardiogram! Secondly, you need to get another cardiologist! For a doctor to say you should not worry "because you're young" is ridiculous. Do you have a family history of any heart disorders or conditions??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2003, 06:50 PM   #3
Inactive

cutup HB User
Yes, I have felt that before also. Just for a split second you feel like you are going to pass out. I don't know whether you need to be concerned or not. I did have heart blockage, but my doctors never mentioned that the feeling of fainting was a symptom. I always felt that it was part of the palpatations.

It's always best to discuss your concerns with your doctor and if you are not satisfied go somewhere else for a second opinion.

Old 10-12-2003, 07:23 PM   #4
(male)

Gojoe HB UserGojoe HB User
I have felt that way, too. My PVC's began when I was about 20 and happened sporadically for many years. I started having runs of bigeminy (beat-skip-beat-skip) in my early 40's and that's when I would feel, just for a moment, like I might pass out. I am now 47 and am taking 200 mg of atenolol for my blood pressure and enlarged heart. That helps tremendously with the PVC's!

Old 10-16-2003, 12:50 AM   #5

YesterdaysChild HB User
My parents don't have a heart condition. My grandparents on both sides died of heart attacks when they were in their mid 70's, except for my grandfather who died of old age.

My blood pressure is low sometimes... like 95/38 , but it only drops at night.

Im concerned about the passing out. I don't pass out, but for that brief second, it's scary. No pain or anything. But it does seem like my electrical rhythm isn't right. I'm scared of sudden death. I've seen people on the news die of sudden death, and I'm scared that might happen.

My doctor recommended me to get an echo, so hopefully I'll be able to get that soon.

Old 10-16-2003, 06:41 AM   #6

beckysma HB User
I have the same. The weekend before last I was driving down the interstate with my 2 kids in the backseat, had a run of PVC's and began to pass out. I mean my field of vision got very narrow, and I could feel all this pressure in my ears. I was terrified, and had to manage to get through 2 lanes of traffic to pull over, and by this time was in a full-blown panic attack. I was very close to a hospital so I went to the ER. By this time the event was over, so of course they sent me home saying I was fine.

I have an appt with a new cardiologist on Monday. I plan to grill him for information about WHY this happens, and what can be done. I'm alone with my kids a lot and CANNOT be passing out. Especially when I'm driving them!

You should definitely see a cardiologist to get checked out. I'll keep you posted and let you know what answers I get.

Old 10-30-2003, 11:09 AM   #7
(female)

jmsimon HB User
WOW!!! I get the same problems, I passed out outside of a restaraunt, I began feeling really sick to my stomach so I ran outside to get some air, I was seeing spots and started to black out, had chest pain and difficulty breathing, I ended up in the hospital for 5 days with a heart blockage and they sent me home saying I was fine. I'm only 23 and have an extreme family history of heart disease. No one seems to help. At least I'm not the only one!

Old 10-30-2003, 12:11 PM   #8
Inactive

DJblod HB User
why does everyone suggest echos for everything? this sounds like a rhythm problem - you need a cardiac monitor more than an echo

Old 10-30-2003, 12:18 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
I've also had problems with almost passing out. I've had serious heart disease involving the beating of my heart and high blood pressure for decades.

My heart would go into a very rapid beat (tachycardia). The only time I would feel like passing out, was just at the beginning, when it felt like the heart was skipping a beat, or two, prior to going nuts and beating fast.

An EKG or a blood pressure reading will only show how the heart is doing at that particular time. For hearts with permanent damage, the EKG is very good at reflecting permanent problem. For hearts like mine, if my heart is not misbehaving in the doctor's office, then the EKG reflects a stable heart at that time and does not show my heart at times of irritation or stress.

Things that can set my heart off, or raise my blood pressure are: allergens, the pollens in the air, the pollution in the air, chemicals, dyes, cotton, dust, certain foods, newsprint, stress, carbonless paper, etc.. It can take just one irritant to set off my heart, or raise my blood pressure. Or, it can take several irritants before my heart reacts badly.

Good luck....

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Old 10-30-2003, 12:24 PM   #10
(female)

jmsimon HB User
It took 20 years to diagnise my father with atrial AND ventricle problems because every time they'd do a test nothing happened, it was a fluke that he was in the dr's office when he had the symptoms and they did an EKG and found the problems. Its disheartening how the medical profession works sometimes.

Old 10-30-2003, 12:35 PM   #11
Inactive

DJblod HB User
that's what a cardiomemo or Reveal is for!

Old 10-30-2003, 12:36 PM   #12
(female)

jmsimon HB User
That didn't pick up anything in his case for some reason.

Old 10-30-2003, 12:42 PM   #13
Inactive

DJblod HB User
he had a Reveal?

Old 10-30-2003, 12:52 PM   #14
(female)

jmsimon HB User
I'm not positive about that, but he had holters and event monitors, but they just didn't pick anything up until the one day he was at the dr's. Sort of weird.

Old 10-30-2003, 12:58 PM   #15
Inactive

DJblod HB User
Reveal's are relatively recent technology so probably not. you can't blame the medical profession for tests not picking up problems

Closed Thread