It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2008, 11:06 PM   #1
(male)

chicagoan HB User
ep study could not induce my arrhythmia

hi. i've experienced an arrhythmia/tachycardia for several years now, but it's been very illusive. at my cardiologist's suggestion, i wore an event monitor for about a month, and got some good recordings of it. after looking at the recordings (200+bpm), he suggested that i have an ep study to determine the type of arrhythmia (he predicted it was an avnrt), and an ablation to fix the arrhythmia. i had this procedure yesterday--was on the table for six hours--and he wasn't able to induce ANY arrhythmia. i have a few questions:

1) is it common not to be able to induce an arrhythmia in an ep study? he used several pacing protocols and even adenosine, and couldn't get any evidence of accessory pathways or dual av nodal physiology (according to the report);

2) could the ep study have made the arrhythmia worse? after i got home today, i started having more symptoms than i usually do, even after taking my toprol xl; and

3) is there any reason to believe that a second ep study will reveal the arrhythmia so he can ablate it? are there any additional risks for having another procedure?

Last edited by chicagoan; 04-04-2008 at 11:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2008, 09:09 AM   #2
(female)

itsmebeck HB User
Re: ep study could not induce my arrhythmia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoan View Post
hi. i've experienced an arrhythmia/tachycardia for several years now, but it's been very illusive. at my cardiologist's suggestion, i wore an event monitor for about a month, and got some good recordings of it. after looking at the recordings (200+bpm), he suggested that i have an ep study to determine the type of arrhythmia (he predicted it was an avnrt), and an ablation to fix the arrhythmia. i had this procedure yesterday--was on the table for six hours--and he wasn't able to induce ANY arrhythmia. i have a few questions:

1) is it common not to be able to induce an arrhythmia in an ep study? he used several pacing protocols and even adenosine, and couldn't get any evidence of accessory pathways or dual av nodal physiology (according to the report);

2) could the ep study have made the arrhythmia worse? after i got home today, i started having more symptoms than i usually do, even after taking my toprol xl; and

3) is there any reason to believe that a second ep study will reveal the arrhythmia so he can ablate it? are there any additional risks for having another procedure?
Hmm.. I can try to answer you questions.. I my self have had two ep studies, along with the ablations.. The first time (Jan of this year) they were able to induce the arrhythmia, but were not able to successfully ablate it. They did try though! (I was also on the table for a good 6 hours.) After that, they decided to do a few more tests, and studied my heart more and a month later we did another ep study with a whole new game plan. This time they WERE successful and I haven't had any PVCs since. (I was having 15,000+ a day.) The ablations did create another problem though. After the first one I started having SVT. The further away from the ablations I get, the less and less I'm having the SVT though, so we're pretty sure it was just a side effect from the ep study. So in my experience, the second ablation was exactly what I needed, and I'd do it again in a heart beat!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread