It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
(female)

writerrosebud HB User
Radical personality change after open heart surgery

My gentleman friend is 87, and was a sweet, loving, affectionate, kind, helpful, and mentally sharp man. Five days ago he underwent open heart surgery (which he wanted) to have an aortic valve replaced, and a double bypass. Ever since he woke up, he has been a different person. He is nasty, mean, uncooperative, and demanding. He gives the nurses a constant bad time by taking off his clothing and getting out of bed (even when still attached by tubing to a multitude of machines). He demanded pizza for breakfast, and Coke to drink. This is so strange because he NEVER drinks Coke (he has always insisted it is bad for the brain.) He took his blood pressure cuff off, rolled it up, twisted it, then stuffed it into a pillow! When asked why he did that, he replied, "Why not?!" When we who love him visit him, he tells us to leave him alone. Yesterday he shook his index finger in my face, while gritting his teeth. All the family is puzzled at his weird behavior. He doesn't seem like the same person. Has anyone else had this experience? Can anyone out there explain it?

Last edited by writerrosebud; 04-05-2008 at 08:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2008, 04:55 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Lutheran122 HB User
Re: Radical personality change after open heart surgery

It has to be a reaction to all the different meds including the anaesthesia he has had to deal with during and since the operation. 87 is pretty old to be getting open heart surgery and anaesthesia takes a long time to leave the body of an older person. Of course I am guessing but it sound plausible to me..what do the doctors and nurses say? I am pretty sure they have seen this happen more then a few times before to others.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mileena42 HB User
Re: Radical personality change after open heart surgery

I have heard that sometimes Open Heart makes a person overly emotional. I guess it wouldn't be such a long shot for it to go the opposite way and make them a little (or a lot) mean. It's a tough thing to have to go through, and he IS an older man! I think if you all just be patient, you will see the old friend you have always loved start to return.

Mileena

Closed Thread