It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2008, 03:16 AM   #1
(female)

mel8801 HB User
Cool Getting ready for surgery (Help)

Hi...I am new to board but I really need some encouraging words. I am having Mitral Valve suregry 4-16-08. I was OK until I went to my pre-op today and they told me everything they were going to do. My biggest fear is waking up
in recovery ad seeing all the tubes. I am 63 years old and in otherwise great shape and feel kinda foolish for be so afraid. Anybody have any advice on how to calm down??? Thanks for your time Mel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2008, 06:40 AM   #2
(male)

ellisci HB User
Re: Getting ready for surgery (Help)

good luck mel !

Please come back to the board and let me know how you got on.

I am at the very early stages of going for open heart surgery on my mitral valve to hopefully repair it. I am waiting to see the surgeon for my 1st consultation after been told following an endoscopy that i will require surgery.

I am only 34 but this is something i have had since birth.

I wish you very well with your operation.
I think your anxieties are all completely natural so try not to worry too much. The tubes are just hospital things needed to monitor your health after your operation.

I bet after a few days you will be free of them.

Take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2008, 07:45 AM   #3
(female)

mel8801 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Getting ready for surgery (Help)

Hi Ellisci,

I am just setting around waiting for Wednesday. I did not know until recently that MVP was inheritied. Mine really started acting up in the 70's after my daughter was born. They kept it under control with Meds
up until now. I have had other surgeries before but the anticipation of this one is really scary. When is your surgery? I am hoping they can either repair mine and if not put in a cow valve. They last longer than pig valves and you don't need blood thinners afterward. I have to go into the hospital 0n Tuesday for a catherization first to make sure I have no clogged arteries and then I will stay overnight and have to operation on Wednesday. They say ICU that day and maybe the next then back to my own room. On the internet I have seen pictures of people 24 hours after surgery in their own room and they look fine so that is what I am counting on. Since mine will be so new I hope I can give you some encouraging words or answer any question you have before you have your surgery. I wish I would have known someone who has had the same thing done. It makes it alot easier if you have someone to talk to. Keep in touch...Melba

Old 04-14-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
(male)

ellisci HB User

hello mel

nice to hear back from you so quickly.

my referral to the surgeon has not yet been completed so at the moment its a waiting game. I know who i want to be referred to and once that goes ahead i will feel i am in good hands. i am just praying it can be repaired rather than replaced as i am only 34 and i dont want a lifetime of new valves when there shelf life is up.

You seem to be preparing well for your operation. Try if you can to stay relaxed and think about all the people with the same problems so you know your not alone.

Hopefully when the operation is over and your awake you will find time to have a little smile when you remember your worries about the tubes afterwards.

Concentrate hard on getting rid of those tubes and going for a walk about after a day or so.

Take care !

Old 04-14-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
(female)

mel8801 HB User

Thanks again for you thoughts!!!!!!

Old 09-08-2008, 03:45 AM   #6
(male)

ellisci HB User

Hi Mel

Hope you can remember this thread, it dates back before your op.

Hope all went well with you ?

Mine is on the 16th September, feeling pretty nervous myself now , truth be told

Closed Thread