It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
(female)

MyHeartScary HB User
Wink Please help me, my heart is freaking me out!

I'v had some anxiety attacks since i have had my children. Not to blame it on them at all. But you see that,... I do not think is my problem. I had first felt this many years ago. My heart, with no warning started to race. My heart felt as if it was filling up like a ballon and finally giving way and started to race. The first time it ever happend it had only lasted for a short time. It has done this every now and again for some time. But for some reason, it is felling like it is getting stronger? And lasting longer. Today, I got the, (no worning) sudden rappid heart beat and it would not slow down! I got very dizzy. I pulled my leggs up onto the sofa and layed flat with my feet on a pillow. My left hand had a slite tingle to it on up my arm. Not numbing but a tingle. I felt an empty hollowness and a heart beat in my throat. Almost to where I was loosing my breath. But not so much. Very, dizzy and a sence of fright. After about 60 sec. to about a min and a half it stared to slow down. Please, if you have any answers to what this may be? Not please note that I already have been hooked to the EKG machine. at the hospitals E.R. I need better answers. My grandchildren need me! ( Could it be a panic attack or even another anxiety attack? Or are they one in the same? ) How do those symtoms feel?

Last edited by MyHeartScary; 04-20-2008 at 02:12 PM. Reason: I had other questions at the bottem of this.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:37 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User
Re: Please help me, my heart is freaking me out!

you might get a holtor montor or some more test
something must be wrong
see you doctor and drink plenty of water,eat bananas or something with potassium in it
and make sure your iron level is okay
lets us know what the doctor said

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
(female)

MyHeartScary HB User

Yes, and thank you for the info. The only problem is that the last time I seen the Dr. about cristmas, I had all the blood work done that they figured I needed. They had told me my potassium was way to high and every thing else was just fine as for the iron level and cholestrol. My Dr. claims that everything is normal. But when my heart pounded like that, it was not so natural. If I had to count the beats, I would say over 120 a min. And you could see my chest moving just like it was going to jump out. I will, ask about the holter monitor. And thanks again! If you or any one can think of anything more?? I am very scared because of the feeling I had in front of my grandson. Not a good feeling.

Last edited by MyHeartScary; 04-12-2008 at 08:58 PM.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
(female)

WATCHOUT! HB User

I am 35 and have mitral valve regurgitation...basically a leaky valve...You could have mitral valve prolapse..as it can give you symptoms and also make you anxious. Get an echocardiogram done if you can..that will check to see if your heart has any prolapses, leaks, or abnormalities. My heart rate goes up to around 140..it IS very scary when it happens. I take propranolol for my heart issues. Also check your blood pressure, that can cause your heart to race too. I get short of breath, dizzy, everything a panic attack would give you...I TOO get anxiety attacks...at times..but the heart can make you feel that way...I mean anyone whose heart is racing will get panicked...its normal to feel anxiety wondering whats wrong. Good Luck!

Old 04-17-2008, 04:56 PM   #5
(female)

MyHeartScary HB User

Thanks so much for that advise. Sorry it took so long to get back to ya-all. I did make an appt. with my dr. Only he can not get me in till may 19th. If you are still listening, (Watchout) or any one else that is reading this, I am going into surg. on my spine from an accident at work in two weeks. Will this make my surg. high risk? Or am I safe? My dr. has not taken the time to talk with me yet and I have so much to ask. I'm not even sure of the correct questions to ask him without sounding like a dummy? Can you advise this dummy? I want to wake up after the surg!

Old 04-18-2008, 06:19 AM   #6
(male)

NFPA1001 HB User

Hi. First of all the most important thing is for you to not worry. I know I am one to talk, because I am the King of Worry, but, I have found that worrying only makes things worse.

I too have had heart racing / palpatations. Pretty much my whole life. Mine have been a bit different than yours, but there are a lot of reasons as to why your heart might do that.

My first guess would be anxiety. It's amazing what anxiety can do to our bodies, especially our hearts. Secondly I would ask if you consume a lot of caffeine. That was the number one source of my heart palps. Lastly it sounds like you may have svt. (supraventricular tachycardia) very benign and controlable.

Go to your doc, tell him what's going on and ask for a full cardiac work up. I know you had an ekg but that's just one test. Get a 24 hr. holter, a stress ekg, a myoview scan, a 21 day event recorder.

Again, don't worry (easier said than done)

Good luck.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:29 AM   #7
(male)

Gorilla43 HB User

First things first, when talking to a doctor about ailments that concern you there is no such thing as a dumb question or sounding like a dummy. This is your life and your emotions, and nobody has the right to judge you for that.

You should have a consultation with the surgeon before the date of surgery. When you do, if you haven't been able to speak to your doctor yet, explain to the surgeon your fears and what has happened with your heart palpitations.

If the doctor doesn't know you are going in for surgery, contact his office and tell them that you might need a check up before going in (always a good idea before surgery.)

Surgeons will take good care of you and will go out of their way to make sure that there is nothing wrong with you that might effect the outcome of the operation in some way.

Like has been said, the best thing to do is stay relaxed and don't focus on stress or anxiety causing issues.

Take care, and keep us posted please.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #8
(female)

MyHeartScary HB User

Thanks you two. you have given me enough to go on for now. I went to see one of my Drs. yesterday for some patchy hair loss I kinda figured was from this accident I was in at work. IT IS... and he tells me I also may have "Post Troumatic Stress Dissorder". That would make some sence to some of this, as for the palps getting harder and longer than i remember them to be that is. But I will not stop at that! I will take all-ya-all's advise and get the correct testing done. Between my mother's stroke and great grandma's heart attack, I can not take the chance. I will keep ya-all posted. And thanks again.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #9
(male)

Gorilla43 HB User

Thanks for the update, and glad to see that you are getting more relaxed. Keep it up!

Closed Thread