It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
Blood Thinners

Anyone have any advice or knowledge about taking blood thinners? Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 04-16-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
Re: Blood Thinners

You mean people on the Heart board don't have experience with this?????? Anyone? TIA FLFLOWERGIRL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2008, 06:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

I've been on warfarin (coumadin) for over 20 years. I take it daily for the prevention of stroke.

The most common caution regarding blood thinners relates to excessive bleeding. Personally, I've never had a problem with excessive bleeding or "delayed" clotting after having a blood test, or after getting a cut.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 04-17-2008 at 06:21 AM.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Blood Thinners

Flowergirl

I took Warfarin for six month when I had an ankle fusion. The doctor gave it to me to prevent blood clots. The only problem I had was it was difficult to stop the bleeding when I had a cut. Take care.

Nadine

Old 04-17-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you Nadine!!! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 04-17-2008, 08:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Machaon--Thank you for your reply. Wow, 20 years is a long time. My Mom at 74yrs, was just put on Coumadin for stroke prevention and I was concerned. Glad to hear that you are having a good experience. Thanks again for your input I really appreciated it. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 04-29-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
(female)

eavabug HB User

I'm 28 and have been on blood thinners for over a year and will have to continue taking them for the rest of my life. The problem with blood thinners is making sure that one is getting the right dosage. To much can cause internal bleeding and not enough pretty much defeats the purpose of taking them. Not sure how well your mothers health or mental state is but its extremely important that she NEVER takes a double dose. One of the older gentlemen who I see occasionally at the lab accidentally took a double dose the other day and ended up in ICU.

Its also very important for her to get weekly/monthly blood draws to make sure her numbers are in the proper range. Coumadin and I have a love - hate relationship. I can't live without it and I hate living with it.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:54 PM   #8
(male)

dannyp HB User

Hi,
Me again.
I was on Plavix for a six weeks. I was put on it because my blood platelets were clumping when I was admitted at the hospital the first time. On my third hospital stay the nurse was attempting to put an IV in my arm and switched from one arm to the other. Attempt 1 started bleeding and before I saw it I had a big pool of blood beside my stretcher. They took me off of it right away and now I take a daily dose coated aspirin instead.
My opinion is that a person needs to have regular blood tests when they start taking it to ensure you are taking the correct dosage. But LOL Nothing ever goes easy with me anyway...

Last edited by dannyp; 04-29-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:36 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

A rat poisoning also a blood thinner......... It sold at the hardware shop. Scary.

Closed Thread