It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

laray721 HB User
Fast heartbeat after eating

Hi All, Lately I've been having this feeling of a fast hard pounding heartbeat after I eat. I always have to lay down and rest for a while till it goes back to normal. Forget about going for a walk like some people do after a meal. I'm to weak. This happens when I eat a normal amount of food. I find myself grazing all day to avoid this feeling. I have had all tests done which were fine and a cath that showed 50% blockage in 3 arteries. Which they don't do anything about unless it increases. I,m really worried about this. My question is, how common is this. I was told that the blood goes to digest the food and that makes the heart work harder. I don't seem to hear other people around me having this feeling after they eat. Thank you for any input.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Fast heartbeat after eating

Three possibilities come to mind:
  1. You are eating meals that contain more calories than your body can handle.
  2. You are eating meals that are interacting with medications or herbs.
  3. You are eating meals that contain foods for which you are allergic.

That said, I've suffered from major, debilitating heart disease for over 20 years. I used to suffer from many different heart arrhythmias including a rapid, pounding heart, which pounded for hours. I battled with fatigue, breathing problems, tiredness, mental confusion, disorientation, chest pains, swollen legs and ankles and not a great outlook for my future.

Not any more. I feel great! I haven't felt this good in decades. I lift weights (minimum 360 lifts per day with two ten pound weights) and work out (minimum 360 steps, each leg, per day, on stepper) and power-walk daily (30 minutes twice a day). If I can significantly improve my heart disease and health, while suffering from heart failure, complicated by persistent atrial fibrillation and immune system problems, than anyone, with lesser disease, can do it.

The solution wasn't rocket science, or magic, or even modern medicine. It was diet, DIET, DIET..........

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 05-08-2008 at 05:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

Hi
ive had fast rate when i eat also
i hate it and most doctors wont beleive you

Old 05-05-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I have experienced it too. A certain brand of ranch dressing will trigger it and cheese can do it also. My cardiologist wasn't surprised at all. Also, I stopped taking in any caffeine in the afternoon. It made a difference. I also now take dioxgin.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

laray721 HB User

Why did your doctor put you on dioxgin. And what is it for? I've never been a big eater, and only 2 cups of coffee a day. And always the same food. Meat, potatoes, and salad. It makes no difference if I eat something different than that. I always get a fast heart beat. I never had this problem before. Thats what worries me. All this started when I went into menopause 2 years ago and put on 15 pounds. But maybe thats not the case either. Oh, I just don't know. Thank you for your replies

Old 05-06-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I was put on dixogin because my heart would race, sinus tachycardia. Sometimes I would feel an extra beat so I have some arrythmias. I also have bradycardia. I have been told none of it dangerous but it really was wearing me out. I have had it for years, have seen cardiologists and was asked interesting questions like do I do cocaine or do I have a pacemaker after looking at my EKG. The last cardiologist did a stress ultrasound and saw the little extra beats. The dixogin seems to keep the heart on a normal pattern. I have always been neurotic about the heart though as my dad died of a heart attack at 46.
Also, check out the menopause board and do a little research. Fast heart rate is part of the lovely ordeal of menopause. I was shocked to experience all the thrills as I thought an occasional hot flash was the only curse. ha!
By the way, there is a voluntary recall on Digitek also know as digoxin. These tablets may contain twice the approvel level of active ingredient. THe label may show one of the following manufacturers, Bertek or UDL. You can learn more by going to FDA recalls. I signed up and receive all medication recalls as emails.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:35 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

I am 28 and have been on Toprol XL for about 3 years for sinus tachycardia as well. I also experience the fast heart rate after eating a meal. I too have wondered from time to time what causes this because like you said, it doesn't matter what I eat or how much, it just happens sometimes. I would think also that since I am on the medication that it wouldn't be able to do that, since the medicine is there to prevent the tachycardia. I don't know, it's weird?

Old 05-28-2008, 06:58 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delia79 View Post
I am 28 and have been on Toprol XL for about 3 years for sinus tachycardia as well. I also experience the fast heart rate after eating a meal. I too have wondered from time to time what causes this because like you said, it doesn't matter what I eat or how much, it just happens sometimes. I would think also that since I am on the medication that it wouldn't be able to do that, since the medicine is there to prevent the tachycardia. I don't know, it's weird?
I dont think it is normal however what can we do?

Old 05-28-2008, 07:25 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User

I also have it. I told my husband about it, and he just thought I was a hypochondriac. But it is real, does not happen to me all the time, but has happened on many occasions while eating, or thereafter.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:52 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

aether4 HB User

Check your blood pressure. After you eat blood diverts to your digestive tract to help your organs digest food, for some - such as those with low blood volume or those that may have too much blood gather there, the body may try to compensate by increasing heart rate to get blood to other organs - ie your brain.

Generally the answer is several smaller meals a day so your digestive tract isn't working as hard.

Getting your blood sugar thoroughly tested probably wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aether4 View Post
Check your blood pressure. After you eat blood diverts to your digestive tract to help your organs digest food, for some - such as those with low blood volume or those that may have too much blood gather there, the body may try to compensate by increasing heart rate to get blood to other organs - ie your brain.

Generally the answer is several smaller meals a day so your digestive tract isn't working as hard.

Getting your blood sugar thoroughly tested probably wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Great ideal thanks

Closed Thread