It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
(female)

sevfam HB User
feelings after a super ventricular tachycardia spell

About a month ago I had what they call SVT. Out of the blue my heart jumped to 194 beats per minute. My work called 911, they gave me two doses of something that stopped and restarted my heart. By the time we reached the er, it was back to normal. A few hours later, I was sent home. My heart hasn't felt "right" ever since. The dr says all the tests are coming back normal. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? My dr told me its probably anxieties now. I just want my life back! I want to feel good again...That was the first time anything like that had ever happened to me.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:22 AM   #2
(female)

bb123 HB User
Re: feelings after a super ventricular tachycardia spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevfam View Post
About a month ago I had what they call SVT. Out of the blue my heart jumped to 194 beats per minute. My work called 911, they gave me two doses of something that stopped and restarted my heart. By the time we reached the er, it was back to normal. A few hours later, I was sent home. My heart hasn't felt "right" ever since. The dr says all the tests are coming back normal. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? My dr told me its probably anxieties now. I just want my life back! I want to feel good again...That was the first time anything like that had ever happened to me.
Hello,
Sorry to hear that. ou will get our life back. Just scary, yea, I have been there.
My advice to you is to go back to other sites and you will read ALOT of info on SVT. I am on meds now and after 6 months, I am finally back to myself again.
Good luck, the more you think about your heart, it doesn't do any good.
Part of it is anxiety, it tend to come on after having SVT. don't know why.
Just accept it and you will be alright.

Take Care...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2008, 05:54 AM   #3
(male)

tc1414 HB User

howdy...i definitely can relate to your experience. i went to the ER for an unrelated matter, and was found to be in atrial fibrillation while i was there. they didn't know it was a-fib at the time, though, and thought it might have been some kind of svt, so they also gave me the adenosine, which was injected via an IV...it was the strangest, most uncomfortable feeling i've ever felt in my life! but yes, my heart has not felt the same since, either. i am, though, on a beta blocker, so that could attribute to a lot of my feelings in this case. hope things get better for you soon!

Old 05-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

with any type of fast or odd rate of the heart it makes you feel ill
im still praying to get back to normal

Old 05-17-2008, 07:38 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

fancis HB User

SVT can be scary. I'll have short episodes still even though I'm on a Beta Blocker. Having an episode like that come on definitely can lead to anxiety. I'm afraid all the time of having an episode, even though I know that it's not supposed to be deadly. It's your heart, how could you not worry? Hang in there and read up on it.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:37 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

The drug they gave you in the ambulance is called adenosene and it probably make you feel like you were going to pass out. I hate it and have had it done many times.

Being someone who had lived with SVTs for 16 years, I have lived a normal life. There are a few factors besides meds that tend to help me stay SVT free. Decreasing stress and anxiety, limiting caffeine and sweet foods, watching my Potassium and Magnesium levels and regular exercise.
I have also noticed that I have more episodes in the fall and winter and have figured out that this may be because of lack of sunlight and Vitamin D. So, I try to sit out in the sun every other week for 30 minutes or even go to the tanning bed for 5-10 minutes. Not enough to get sun damage, but just enough to feel the warmth on my face and body and hence Vitamin D production.
Everyone is different, but I would talk to your doctor about checking your thyroid which can cause SVT and your Potassium levels. It seems that whenever I can not convert myself to a normal rate that my Potassium is low.
They have yet to find the cause of mine and continue to guess why they happen.

Your definately not the only one who has them. Many people write them off as panic attacks and don't seek medical attention.

I would ask you doctor for some extra Atenolol or other Beta Blocker to have on hand just in case you have an episode. I usually take 2 tablets of 20mgs and mine are down in an hour.

Good Luck,
Lyl

Last edited by lylone; 05-20-2008 at 07:43 AM.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #7
(female)

tired47 HB User

Hi! Just wanted to say I agree to really watching your magnesium levels and potassium. I have been diagnosed with SVT, had failed abalation because Dr. said it was not physical but due to low mag levels. We are still trying to find why my mag levels drop- am taking large amounts of magnesium as well as just switched to Diltia instead of verapamil to try and keep heart rate down. It is a scary feeling, especially in the middle of the night. I take a magnesium pill and it helps the big palps and slow it down. Good luck to you.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:08 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tired47 View Post
Hi! Just wanted to say I agree to really watching your magnesium levels and potassium. I have been diagnosed with SVT, had failed abalation because Dr. said it was not physical but due to low mag levels. We are still trying to find why my mag levels drop- am taking large amounts of magnesium as well as just switched to Diltia instead of verapamil to try and keep heart rate down. It is a scary feeling, especially in the middle of the night. I take a magnesium pill and it helps the big palps and slow it down. Good luck to you.
Do you have low or high blood preasure

Old 05-21-2008, 05:25 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

They haven't suggested ablation for me either since mine are controlled by meds. I have also known a few people to have it done and their SVTs and PVCs have gotten worse.
I was also on Verapamil for over 15 years and they recently switched me to Diltiazem. I have borderline high blood pressure, but with the Diltiazem and low dose of Atenolol my bp runs low. I am due to see the cardio next month and want to see if they can decrease the Diltiazem since my bp is low and Ihave been having dizzy spells. I see numbers in the 99/56 range in the morning and normally are 110/68. I just don't want the SVTs to rear their ugly head since I have been free of them for almost 6 months.

Lyl

Last edited by lylone; 05-21-2008 at 05:26 AM.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:56 PM   #10
(male)

Aliba HB User

Mine was near 300 and pretty scarey.

I found there were a number of secondary triggers, primarily caffeine, but what set off an episode for me 95% of the time was - heat. If I started feeling ill I'd get to a place where I could take off shoes and socks and I would start feeling better. Put my feet on cool cement and watch the water around my feet! Heat would do me in. Even after having the ablation surgery heat still bothers me. I guess I'm heat intolerant.

But I went to doctor's for about 15 or 17 years before I finally got one who figures out what was wrong. What made me the most frustrated was they kept saying everything was fine and I had a REALLY hard time finding one who would even refer me to a cardiologist. Most said it was stress or anxiety which it wasn't. Sure, 135 could be stress. 190? Unlikely. 300 for me? Not a chance.

Be persistent. Get a referal to a cardiologist if you haven't been already and get them to put you on a 30 day event monitor. This is a device that you carry around on your belt for 30 days and when you feel something wrong you press a button. Very simple, but it is important to get them as much information about an episode as you can. Any doctor who says "nothing is wrong" without having an episode "on tape" isn't worth seeing regularly.

Mine had to be captured on tape because I had a rare type of WPW that doesn't show on a regular EKG and most doctors only look for the normal.

Keep it up, learn what you can and be persistent and you'll get it all nailed down.

Closed Thread