It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2008, 10:04 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

laray721 HB User
Weird, Calf pain & jittery when taking chelated magnesium

Hi Everyone, Since menopause 2 years ago I started having pvc's. I started taking chelated magnesium and began having leg & calf pain while taking it. I've read that this was suppose to help relieve these problems, but I find it caused it for me. I also get jittery, stiff neck and headaches, All from taking magnesium. And I also held some water from it and by the time I went to bed my legs were swollen. But by morning they were fine. I've never heard of anyone having these things happen to them while taking magnesium. When I stopped taking it, this all went away. I also told my uncle who is 87 years old to take chelated magnesium and he went into the start of heart failer from retaining water and needed to go on water pills. He's ok now, but I told him to stop taking the magnesium because I think that had something to do with it. He always took the poor quality magnesium and when I told him to use the chelated one his water problem started. Has anyone ever experience this. This really helped with my depression, but I could not take the headaches and stiff neck it caused. Please, any input. Thank you in advance for your replies.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

ntbd HB User
Re: Weird, Calf pain & jittery when taking chelated magnesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by laray721 View Post
Please, any input.
well, how about if you try to balance it out by taking calcium?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2008, 09:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Have you talked to a pharmacist or looked on line to see if that is a side effect? There may be another type to take. I always take my magnesium with calcium and vitamin D

Old 05-13-2008, 07:59 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

laray721 HB User

Have you talked to a pharmacist or looked on line to see if that is a side effect? There may be another type to take. I always take my magnesium with calcium and vitamin D[/QUOTE]

I have looked on line for hours to try and find out why this would happen. I also took it with calcium and without. No difference. I also took the citrate magnesium, and got headaches from that one to. The first one I took was the oxide one and that is the poor quality one. So I started with the others and started having all these problems. I asked everyone in the vitamin store and they have never heard of it. One person suggested it might be the amino acids.Whatever that means. Thanks

Old 05-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

laray721,
Have you ever had your calcium checked at the doctors? Because that can also be symptoms of high/low calcium.
I have intermittent high calcium and am having trouble taking supplements.
mmee

Old 05-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

laray721 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmee View Post
laray721,
Have you ever had your calcium checked at the doctors? Because that can also be symptoms of high/low calcium.
I have intermittent high calcium and am having trouble taking supplements.
mmee
What are you symptoms when you say you have trouble taking supplements.
Have you taken chelated magnesium. Laray

Old 05-14-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

laray721,
I have been sick for almost 15 months now and trying to find the cause.
My first symptom was rapid heart rate. I actually tried taking magnesium for it, but it did not help. Infact, I think that it made it a little bit worse. Then other symptoms started to develop like the muscle pain all over and muscle spasms, acid reflux, bone pain, weight loss in the beginning now weight gain, and I feel jittery too and many more. I did try taking the calcium and magnesium supplement together and that did not help either. Then about 2 months ago I found out my calcium was high, so I quit taking all supplements and now I still have intermittent high calcium levels. It will go up to 11.0. I get stomach pain too.
I also had the pacs and pvcs too. Not sure what started all of this, but uhhhh Hoping to get better soon. What are all of your symptoms? Do you have different symptoms when taking the magnesium and then stopping the magnesium?
mmee

Old 05-14-2008, 08:03 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

laray721 HB User

Hi, When I took the chelated magnesium I was retaining water, feeling jittery, stiff neck and headachs. And my calfs ached all the time. All this went away when I stopped taking it. I think it has something to do with the chelated one. I could not take it long enough to know if it would of helped. I just could not take all the side effects. So now I'm in search of some other supplement to calm my pvc's down. I have rapid heart rate at times, skipped beats, which I'm feeling right now as I'm typing, Mornings are very hard for me. I wake up very tired and can feel my heart starting to race. sometimes I take ice cubes in my hands to try and slow it down or cold water in my face. I start to panic and then cry. I feel like the next morning I won't make it thru this and die. I don't want to go to bed at night anymore because I know what i'm in for the next morning. My doctor tells me this is all STRESS and I have to calm down and stop worrying. Easier said than done. I just cannot accept this as a part of living. Not when I have to live in fear of dying all the time. Oh well, One day at a time. Laray

Old 05-14-2008, 08:20 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

laray721,
That is exactly how mine all started 15 months ago and it still continues to this day. I take toprol to calm my heart down, some days it works and other days it does not work so well. They told me it was all 'anxiety' too and put me on xanax (did not work) then adivan (did not work) and then klonopin (did not work). I still take .5 mg of klonopin a day but this heart racing is still here. Mine just started that strange beating where I could feel it adding and skipping at the beginning of April. I have worn 3 holter monitors and had an echo stress test also a pulmonary catscan to see if there were any blockages. All come back okay except for this fast pulse. I know exactly what you mean, I feel everyday that I won't make it until the next.
I also have high ANA, which is an antibody count for autoimmune disease, but they could not find any disease that I had relating to it, that was a year ago. Just about 2 months ago, my calcium started coming back intermittently high. I did some research and found that fast heart rate goes with that. It is called hyperparathyroidism. My aunt actually had the disease. I am scheduled with an endo on June 10th for it.
This heart racing is just almost unbearable at times, I know exactly what you mean. Do you know if you have ever had your calcium checked? And also have they checked you for thyroid or adrenal issues? I also have hypoadrenalism, but it took the saliva test to pick it up not the blood test. I always say, 'of course, I am stressed, but the stress is coming from the inside, not the outside world.' That is how I feel, the stress is coming because what is happening to my body, not from my life.
mmee

Old 05-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

laray721 HB User

mmee, I have to go for blood work next week some time. I have been checked for thyroid in the past and always came up normal. I will be checking again for thyroid next week. I have never had my calcium checked. But I will be checking that off to have it done. Thanks for letting me know before I get my blood drawn. I did take a saliva test when I started menopause and I believe that the adrenal test was done. I would have to look it up on the paper work. Yes, this is a real bummer to have to live life this way. I will keep you posted on my blood test results. I will also read up on the conditions you have told me about. Thank you for the input. Laray

Old 05-15-2008, 03:45 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

ntbd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by laray721 View Post
I think it has something to do with the chelated one.
Hi, I'd thought it was assumed all along that the chelated one was being better absorbed by you (because of something particular to your own biochemistry), and so the resulting higher dose was causing the problems.

So then one approach would be to try taking less of the chelated Mg.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:04 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

laray721 HB User

Hi, I did take less. I always start out less of anything I take and work myself up. Either way, less and more did the same thing to me. Laray

Closed Thread