HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Heart Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/)
-   -   A-Fib and taking pulse rate (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/602360-fib-taking-pulse-rate.html)

tc1414 05-13-2008 07:32 PM

A-Fib and taking pulse rate

Hi-
I was wondering how those who have been diagnosed with A-fib determine their heart rates while experiencing it. I have a Lifesource digital blood pressure monitor/cuff, but am not sure if these take accurate readings while in A-fib.
Also, is it possible to be in A-fib but have a normal pulse rate?

sam78 05-13-2008 10:13 PM

Re: A-Fib and taking pulse rate

The best way to monitor your PULSE if you have afib is to get a watch with a second hand and feel your pulse, either at your wrist or in your neck. Count for one whole minute. Machines are not accurate. If you are in afib you will not have a regular rate, it will vary so machines are not very accurate. That is why is it most accurate to count for one full minute.

Machaon 05-14-2008 02:17 AM

[QUOTE=tc1414;3567866]Hi-
I was wondering how those who have been diagnosed with A-fib determine their heart rates while experiencing it.[/QUOTE]

I've got chronic, persistent A-fib, which means I am in A-fib all the time. Without medication, my heart races about 160bpm, which I determine by taking my pulse for about 15-20 seconds.

I usually use a stethoscope to listen to my heart sounds, to determine how well my heart is beating, rather than determining the specific heart rate.

If my heart is not beating well, like too fast, or too weak, or too hard, or too erratic, then I try to get my heart back into a healthier heart rate, or, at least, avoid further irritating, or putting stress on my heart. I also try to determine what triggered my heart to beat erratically, and then try to avoid that trigger(s) in the future.

[QUOTE]Also, is it possible to be in A-fib but have a normal pulse rate?[/QUOTE]

I am always in A-fib, even on medication, but with the medication, I've got an acceptable pulse rate most of the time.

daveblake 05-15-2008 03:47 PM

[QUOTE=tc1414;3567866]Hi-
I was wondering how those who have been diagnosed with A-fib determine their heart rates while experiencing it. I have a Lifesource digital blood pressure monitor/cuff, but am not sure if these take accurate readings while in A-fib.
Also, is it possible to be in A-fib but have a normal pulse rate?[/QUOTE]

daveblake 05-15-2008 04:02 PM

hi,i also have a-fib and use a sports heart monitor.this is like an elastic belt which fits on your chest and a watch type device for your wrist.mine is made by polar,its waterproof.you should get one at any good sports store,or argos store which is where i got mine.they cost around 60 dollars and are accurate.good luck,dave

tc1414 05-15-2008 06:20 PM

thanks for all the replies so far. i guess i should elaborate on my second question about "a-fibbing" with a normal heart rate...it may be more technical than i indicated.
what i'm wondering is if it's possible for your pulse rate in your arm or neck to be normal (like between 60-80 or so) but for your atria to be "fibbing", or contracting at a rapid rate. or, will your pulse rate always be elevated if you are in a-fib?
Thanks again!

roy30 06-15-2008 11:45 PM

I have had lone af for 8 years and to be sure I have got af I use a Digital B/P monitor ANDModel UA-767 PLUS, this gives B/P,Pulse Rate,heart mark (you can see your heart beating) and also Irregular Heartbeat Indicator for $150 I would not be without it. My normal P/R is 50-60, with af it can be from 75-150 and will always be irregular, as I take one tab of Solavert 80 Mg as soon as I feel my my heart go into af it holds my P/R down to about 90, but will vary a lot until the af has gone, then will be steady & not irregular.
Best of luck.