It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
(male)

jj9500 HB User
Don't settle for acid reflux as a diagnosis if chest pain continues...

I just want to share this with folks so the same thing doesn't happen to them. My father has been dealing with chest pains that come and go for years now and the doc kept telling him it was acid reflux. He's been on and off every PPI you can imagine> About 5 months ago, this started to get really bad. It started to burn upon exertion when he would do simple tasks (but this wasn't ALL the time). He went to doc where they decided they should do a scope (endoscopy again). He's had several over the years. But, before that they wanted to rule out any heart problems so sent him for this "state of the art" CT scan that would tell if anything was wrong with the heart. They did the CT scan and said that dad had some minor plaque build up which was nothing to be alarmed about for a man of his 73 years. So he was given the green light for the endoscopy. He went for the endoscopy with his GI doc. Results = nothing wrong. Just continue taking his Nexium for acid reflux and said the pains are most likely stress/anxiety related. He continued with his meds and things didn't get any better> He called in GP to let him know. His GP then ordered a nuclear stress test. Dad went for that and actually had one of his bad pains during the procedure. The results went to his GP who a few days later reviewed them with dad. The GP said that dad may not be getting enough blood to his heart and would like him to go to see a cardilogist to talk about the results. Mind you throughout the weeks of this my dads still getting pains upon exertion (even when watering the grass). He goes to see the cardiologist who looks at the test results from the stress test and said "well maybe we should do an angiogram..what do you think?" He's asking my dad! The cardiologists states it would be a good idea to do this, but according to what he sees, he doesn't believe they will find anything. It is most likely anxiety related. Well, they set his angiogram up for 4 weeks out. My sibliongs and I told dad that that is unacceptable and he should demand a quicker appointment and stress that he continues to have these pains. Well, imagine that..they get him in in 2 days. He had the angiogram and was 99% blocked in his left main artery. 70% blocked in another. Another 30% and another 40% in two others. He did have one stent put in the 99% blocked artery and now feels FANTASTIC. All the sleepless nights, so called Acid Reflux pain, and pain upon exertion are GONE. Your body knows when something is just not right. Listen to it. We're lucky dad did not have a heart attack and suffer any heart damage. We thank God above. He jsut needs to stay on Plavix and asprin now and exercise and eat healthy (yes even at 73)! His concern now is why this wasn't found with the ct scan and why the docs blew it off as anxiety or acid reflux after all the tests they sent him through. I told him don't worry about that. Thank God you're ok!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2008, 06:41 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User
Re: Don't settle for acid reflux as a diagnosis if chest pain continues...

Thank you so much for sharing and caring

Closed Thread