It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
(female)

Leesaw73 HB User
Heart does a weird flip-flop out of the blue... Help!

I have not been formally diagnosed with anything and I'm not sure it is a PVC but whatever it is, it has been happening to me for 5 years now. I will be sitting there relaxing or playing on the computer (it usually happens while I am in a relaxed state) and all of the sudden my heart feels like it is doing a complete somersault in my chest. Almost like it has lost its rythm and it is fighting to get the rhythm back. Usually they are small and only last like half a second but just yesterday I had a huge one that landed me in the ER for the first time in my life. I was sitting down looking at the computer and that weird flip-floppy rhythm started but his time it took longer to recover which threw me into a panic attack because I thought my heart was going to stop. I actually got lightheaded but I'm not sure if that was from the "episode" or from the panic attack I had because of it. I was in the ER for about 3 hours. They hooked me up to an EKG to try to catch the episode but of course it didn't happen while I was on the machine. They did blood tests and took a chest exray. The doctor came in and said everything was fine and told me to follow up with my primary doctor to be referred to a cardiologist. The weird thing is though, the doctor in the ER almost seemed like she didn't know what I was talking about when I was explaining the "episode" and how it felt. That has been a huge problem for me. Every time I try to explain to a doctor how it feels they get a baffled look on their face. I tell them it feels like my heart does a flip flop and loses rythm for a minute and they say, "oh that is palpitaitons, just watch your caffiene intake." It is not palpitations! I know what palpitations are. They are when your heart pounds fast for no reason at all and that is not it. It is VERY frustrating trying to get a doctor to understand me. Does anyone know what I am talking about or am I just crazy? My husband even thinks I am a hypochondriac and I am worrying about it too much for nothing.

The following user gives a hug of support to Leesaw73:
keblergirl (04-14-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2008, 12:46 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

aether4 HB User
Re: Heart does a weird flip-flop out of the blue... Help!

Palpitations don't mean that you have a fast heart beat, that's called tachycardia. The term palpitation means that you are just more aware of your heart beating whether it be normal, fast, slow, or abnormal. I often have palpitations even when my heart rate is in the 50s.

Did they give you the EKG while you were laying down flat? And did you explain that your symptoms usually happen when you're sitting upright? Mine looked perfectly normal - when I was laying down flat as this is not when I have any sort of symptoms.
Ask your doctor about a holter monitor, that may be more likely to catch an episode.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
(female)

MrsPM HB User

Hi Leesaw73,

I know exactly what you're talking about because I also get the symptoms you described from time to time and I too explain them as a "flip flop" sensation. These sensations are palpitations, but what the heart is actually doing during these episodes is unknown to me. They may be skipped beats, extra beats, a flutter, fibrillation, or something else, but I know how frustrating it can be trying to articulate these symptoms to a doctor. I noticed sometimes when I change my positions, like bend over, it triggers the flip flop sensations. I too had tests and the doctor found nothing except tachycardia and mild mitral regurgitation.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:36 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

aether4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPM View Post
I too had tests and the doctor found nothing except tachycardia and mild mitral regurgitation.
That's hardly "nothing". Mitral valve prolapse can cause a lot of symptoms and I really suggest you do some reseach about it.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

not enough potassium,iron and other things your body needs can cause it
mine are when i lay down the most
some medications cause it
and dont drink caffiene
you should see a doctor still

Old 06-25-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
(female)

Leesaw73 HB User

I saw my regular family Doctor yesterday and he referred me to a Cardiologist. Yah! I'm not happy about having to do to a cardiologist but I am happy about possibly getting to the bottom of it.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:00 PM   #7
(female)

MrsPM HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aether4 View Post
That's hardly "nothing". Mitral valve prolapse can cause a lot of symptoms and I really suggest you do some reseach about it.
It's not mitral valve prolaspe that I have, it's mild mitral regurgitation with no definite prolapse to be exact. My cardiologist did not seem concerned about it and thinks that my "heart" issues are anxiety/stress related. However, I'm not taking the regurgitation issue too lightly as I am aware of the symptoms and have it in the back of my head that if my symptoms get worse, I will be back at the doctor's and will probably request a different cardiologist. I do appreciate your suggestion to research it though, and it certainly wouldn't hurt to look it up again to refresh my memory

Old 06-25-2008, 09:42 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I have had heart palpatations for years now. I just didn't know what they were. I first had a few when I was in my early 20's. I ran to the doctor and had him give me a chest x ray. I also got hooked up to an EKG machine. I had a weird fluttering sensation in my chest. Felt like a butterfly or twitching. It was weird. It must have been palpatations. I am 43 now and going through perimenopause. ugh! I get them now and then. I could go months without and now they are back again. It is like a painless spasm in there. I describe like it is pushing on my lung and it is pushing air. I don't know. It makes me panick and sets off a panick attack in me. I get mine more if my husband hugs me too tight or if I lay down. If I am laying on my back they start in. I don't know if that elevation does it or not. They say we get them more in perimenopause and menopause. You aren't alone!

Closed Thread