It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
(female)

nicolette36 HB User
catheter ablation a horrific experience..........

hello everyone.i had a successful ablation of 2 pathways last week.unfortunately i was refused any sedation and i found the whole 3 hour procedure painful and traumatic.ironically the actual ablation was the least painful.it took a whole hour before the catheters were in place,one site in my groin,the other under collarbone,i found the insertion at the groin site painful,i was numbed but there was still discomfort particulary when they changed catheters and i had to go through it all again.i felt pain everywhere throughout........in my heart and my right rib in particular,once the procedure was finally over the removal of my groin catheter was agony and i was given no explanation as to why.........i am still suffering alot of pain from this site,there is no sign of infection and the bruising is lessening.i am feeling frustrated,i was led to believe this was a non invasive procedure and i would be pretty much back to normal within a week.that has not been the case at all!!i am feeling exhausted,although i have noticed my palps have all but gone.has anyone else found the whole thing an ordeal??

Old 07-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
(female)

Chantal231 HB User
Re: catheter ablation a horrific experience..........

Hi Nicolette,

I'm truly sorry for your ordeal and pain. Why were you refused sedation? I know I would have called it off right then.

I'm happy the procedure was successful but you should not have had to suffer pain.

Chantal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2008, 12:51 AM   #3
(female)

nicolette36 HB User

they wouldnt sedate me since they didnt want any meds interfering with the ability to induce my svt........as it was they found it very easy!!

Old 07-02-2008, 03:41 AM   #4
(female)

but HB User

Hi,

Im really sorry you had such an awful experience, but i want you to know you are not alone. I had an unsuccesful ablation 2 years ago and am still suffering with complications that it caused. Im not sure if this is any consolation to you, but i had sedation and still found the whole thing painful and stressful. To me the sedation in my case was pointless as i was aware of the whole experience and it didnt dull my pain.

I also suffered pain in the groin for a while after and was told that it takes a while for the nerves in that area to settle down, i still occaional get discomfort there but it is bearable.

i hope this helps and that you feel better soon. i
but.x

Old 07-02-2008, 07:26 AM   #5
(female)

nicolette36 HB User

thankyou,it is very reassuring to know i am not alone.i didnt know you could suffer nerve pain afterwards,anyways i have an appointment with the nurse later on,i dont think that after a whole week i should still be in so much discomfort.how do you know if you have a fistula?

Old 07-06-2008, 07:11 AM   #6
(female)

but HB User

fistulas within the chest following ablation have only been reported a couple of times worldwide following ablation. (havnt checked stats recently but did alot of research following my ablation in2006).

The most common side effects after an ablation are pericaridtis, infection, or blood clots.

The groin sites can also get a haematoma (collection of blood under the skin) but this usually resolves itself.

I dont think it is uncommon to feel sore and off colour for a week or so after the ablation, but for some reason patients often are not told this.

Also, i was told not to drive for 6 weeks after mine. (car insurance invalid during this time?)

hope this helps.
but.x

Old 07-06-2008, 09:31 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

sam78 HB User

Sorry for your experience Nicole, next time you are offered sedation, TAKE IT. Putting the catheters in and manipulating them can be painful, they can hit multiple nerves. They are painful when they get hit, not to mention its a weird feeling to have wires in your heart doing funky things. However, probably the most likely reason you dont feel good is they did change your heart rhythm. Your heart and your system is so used to those premature beats, that it had somewhat gotten used to them. After you have an ablation, your heart is essentially "reset". It has to learn to do things right again, without that area that was making extra beats. Your physician should have talked to you about this, but obviously didnt. Sometimes when people get ablation they do feel worse for a short time because their body isnt used to this "normalcy". I was told it can take 2-3 weeks and sometimes longer depending on what they did. If you just have premature beats, I would bet a couple weeks at most. Give it some time and before you know it you will feel like a 100% and happy that your palps are much better.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:18 AM   #8
(female)

nicolette36 HB User

thankyou all,well i did have a haematoma in my groin which was causing the pain,im glad to say that is much better now,just a little swelling now.i am getting the odd 'thumping' sensation in my heart but no svt,i do get the occassional feeling i am about to have an attack but i have heard that is normal,so far so good!!

Old 07-11-2008, 11:53 AM   #9
(female)

itsmebeck HB User

I too have had an ablation, two actually, within a month of each other. (The first wasn't successful so they did it again.) I was sedated both times, although I still woke up frequently and remember a lot of it, most of the second one actually. I was awake when they inserted the caths into my groin and my neck and it was very painful!! They are cutting you with a scalpel, so of course it's going to hurt! I also remember feeling the wires moving through my chest and it was a bit painful, but more odd than anything. The worst part for me was after they took the caths out and were applying pressure to the wound. That hurt like nothing I've ever felt before. I had issues with clotting so they had to apply pressure for a very long time and I just wanted to curl up in a ball and cry it hurt so bad. I too got a very large hematoma on my groin and it took a good month before it went away completly. It was pretty sore for a good week as well. The first ablation lasted 6 hours, and I definitely didn't feel like myself for a good 4 days afterward. I remember wanting to do nothing but sleep for probably the first 3 days, I just couldn't get enough sleep. The second ablation was only 4 hours and with that one I really did feel back to normal pretty much immediately. But definitely take it easy and try not to read too much into everyone else's story, everyone is different and everyone will respond differently to the ablation! I'm a perfect example since I had a HORRILBE time of it the first time, and the second, it couldn't have gone any better!!

Closed Thread