It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
(female)

PepperBrutus HB User
Problems with dyes used for stress tests?

has anyone experienced problems with dyes being used for heart stress tests using dyes? My husband has had one of these tests every year for around 16 years! Now we're hearing that there may be reports that this dye could cause harmful effects. We're wondering if this may have caused his CML (leukemia) which was diagnosed in 2000. Anyone heard of any reports regarding this? Thanks...I'n new to the board and am hoping to get some information.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
(female)

ellemae11 HB User
Re: Problems with dyes used for stress tests?

If he was given an Isotope (Thallium) and then used the treadmill then he had no dye. It was only an isotope. I haven't heard of problems with thallium. Of course that doesn't mean there hasn't been any. Thallium is cumulative in the system so you would need to ask the radiologist or his cancer doctor about the CML relation.

If he could not do the treadmill then he would be given a drug in addition to the thallium. The purpose of the other drug is to speed up the heart as if he was on the treadmill.
Years ago there was a drug that caused problems (persantine). I don't think it is used all all any more. I now it is not used in my area at all.

Last edited by ellemae11; 08-10-2008 at 05:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2008, 06:36 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

dont know
but they give me fast heart rate

Old 08-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
(female)

ellemae11 HB User

If you were not on the treadmill then they gave you a drug to make your heart beat fast. That is how they can simulate you being on the treadmill. It would not be thallium but the other drug.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

They used Persantine to speedy up my heart in 2006. After that, the dr didn't happy with my test so he injected the Thallium and returned the next day to have a scan.

Before that, I was anemic. After that, I was anemic and my body didn't want to store and make iron. End up was having an iron infusion. It dropped very quick. The GI doc thought that my body produced the cells to kill my own organs. After running a heap of tests, all negative. They leave me alone. Now my hb is growing by itself a little. It is a good sign tho.

I was suspected the Thallium (one dose only). If every year has a dose, I think I'll end up with something unexpected too!

Old 08-18-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
(male)

Pokey449 HB User

I use to be a nuclear medicine technologist and gave lots of people thallium 201 to assess people's hearts. It has pretty short 1/2 life and is out of your system ina couple-three days. The radiation exposure is less than that of a chest xray. I wouldn't worry about the thallium. Pokey

Closed Thread