It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2008, 10:09 AM   #1
(female)

wolf0999 HB User
aortic valve replacement

Hello,
I have severe aortic stenosis and require surgery. I am 84 years old and have asthma. One cardiologist said I need surgery; the other cardiologist agreed but but said I would probably not recover due to my age and condition. Two cardiac surgeons after reviewing my echocardigram but not examining me recommended surgery immediately. My aortic stenosis is worsening. I agree I need surgery but will I recover? I don't know which doctor to listen to. Has anyone over the age of 80 had aortic valve replacement surgery? How did you recover? How are you now? Would you opt for surgery if you had it to do over again? I am scared. I was told I could have a stroke. What advice could anyone give? I appreciate you response. I live in the Boston area. Thank you

Wolf0999

Old 08-10-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
(female)

mel8801 HB User
Re: aortic valve replacement

Hi....I don't know anyone over 80 that has hdd that sort of vavle replacement but I did see on the news a few weeks ago that they can now do aeortic valve replacement through the groin so you don't have to do the open heart. They interviewed 2 men over 80 that had it done and were out and about in 2 days. It is worth asking your Dr. about. I had mitral valve surgery and there were people over 80 on my floor that had bypass surgery and they were all doing fine. I am 63 and figured if they can do it so can I. Good luck and GOD bless you. Anything that can be done for you that will make you feel better I would say go for it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
(male)

jungle jim HB User

Hi woolfo999, i am 75 and i had AVR Jan this year, was in hosp 10 days and contacted phneumonia as a bonus, i also needed both hips replaced and it was decided the aortic valve was more important. What i strongly suggest is that you take very seriously the advise you will be given and carry out to the letter, because the last thing you want is to be taken back in because you done something you should not have done and the new valve has torn . After you r discharge you will be nearly back to normal in about 6/8 weeks, so be patient and take your time. call me if you need any more info jungle jim

Last edited by jungle jim; 08-12-2008 at 02:55 PM.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:23 AM   #4
(female)

wolf0999 HB User

Hi Jungle Jim,

Thank you for your encouraging reply. I am replying for my mother. She was admitted in hospital on 8/12/08 for worsening symptoms. Surgery is scheduled for 8/22/08. I will keep you updated. God bless you and may you continue to grow stronger.

wolf0999's daughter

Old 08-16-2008, 03:46 AM   #5
(male)

jungle jim HB User

age rearly is not that big an issue, it`s what kind of condition your body is in , if you are in general good health then that`s the key factor to a succesfull operation. But allways have a P ositive M ental A ttitude [P.M.A.] good luck j jim

Closed Thread