It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
(female)

cherryboo01 HB User
Arm pain & hand cramping!

I have witnessed a situation with my Husband 2 or 3 times now. He won't tell me the times it happens that I don't see it. His left arm will have severe pain and his hand will draw up like a severe cramp. He will grab his inner arm between his elbow and hand and press it very hard trying to stop the pain. It is that severe. His hand is usually very sore for a day or 2 after this. I have seen him go to the ground with this. I first witnessed this about 3 1/2 years ago. But, I know it had happened before then because he told me that. It seems that he doesn't really have to do anything to trigger it! He is 51, heavy smoker and drinker! Is this something that we should be concerned about! I am concerned because he will not go to a doctor!

Old 10-08-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
(male)

pjs009 HB User
Re: Arm pain & hand cramping!

I think the fact that you are posting in the heart disorder board shows that your mind is in the right place with this. I would absolutely have this checked out, especially with his risk factors for heart disease in the smoking and drinking.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
(female)

Robbin72 HB User

I also have these same symptoms. I had surgery on my neck at C8-T1 to relieve an impenged nerve due to herniated disc. this seemed to help some but I am still haveing the samy problems with my arm and hand. Have you found out any information?

Old 04-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
(female)

poohpoohpeapod HB User

I had the same thing my GP said I had carpal tunnel, or maybe it was a nerve. It wasn't. I had a 90 percent blockage, since my stent ...Pain gone. PLEASE MAKE him get a stress test! I could have had a massive MI and died. With God with the help off my Dr.'s I am here.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I suppose a wife might try offering him a ride across town and then when arriving to the hospital telling him you'll pay him to go in just in case he needs the machine that restarts the heart, the amount is the wife's choice I suppose. Of course everyone makes their own health care choices. I am aware that some foods such as a shake or french fries, fats, fried food, meats large amounts of sweets, cheese, eggs with butter or meat may set off a heart attack. A person might not be able to too much about a spouse's outside eating but the wife can help the husband eat properly in the home. There are many tasty recipes that can be eaten from nice vegan or vegetarian cookbooks that are more therapeutic than the average diet.

Celery seed tea is said to be good for the heart. If a person seems to be having an episode some people have had success with cayenne pepper capsules and water. Drinking plenty of water every day may increase chances of survival by preventing dehydrated blood and therefore perhaps decreasing the possibility of clots. A good 50 ounces of water daily for every 100 pounds of body weight.
Avocadoes and whole wheat bread contain natural amounts of vitamin E. Whole wheat bread is said to be the staff of life. Pineapple once in awhile might also be useful as it contains natural bromelain in it. Other foods said to be good for the heart are bananas, walnuts, broccoli, peach, macadamia, grape, garden pea, and cherimoya. I would not mix fruits with vegetables in the same meal. The fruits should be in a separate meal from the vegetable since they are said to make war in the stomach and also they compete for sites of digestion apparently according to what I have heard.
A wife could also help by setting meals on the table at the same times of day and go to bed at the same time every night. A good schedule is said to be good for the health.
When shopping for meals additives even artificial phospates and added calcium in store bread (bad for kidneys)maybe should be avoided, other substances such as tobacco, drugs and alcohol should also be avoided for the health of both and at least to be a good example of better health to other people around.

A wife might invite her husband to go on short walks with her outside in sunshine and unpolluted air every day after meals to increase the circulation. As it is tolerated the walks may be made more brisk according to some sources. A story was told of a man who had a bad heart and he was miserable and decided to run and instead of anything terrible happening he got better! But I would start out more slowly than this fellow.

Closed Thread