It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Thumbs up The four essential steps, that I've taken, that help me live with Heart Failure

I am near 70 and have had Congestive Heart Failure, Persistent Atrial Fibrillation, Chronic Tachycardia, Chronically High Blood Pressure, Immune System Dysfunction, Insulin Resistance, Pre-Diabetes and Asthma for over twenty years.

I have learned four essential steps for lowering my blood pressure down to very healthy levels, reducing my heart rhythm problems, improving my heart failure, improving my Immune System/Neurohormonal System problems, and at the same time improving my general health. These four essential steps could also provide significant improvements to immune disorders, such as Multiple sclerosis (MS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) and Fibromyalgia.

I have no medical training or education, so I don't know how much these four essential steps would help others, but I'll document them here anyway.

The four essential steps are:
  1. Being on a healthy diet.
    In my opinion, the overall healthiest diet, especially for those with chronic disease(s), consists of frequent, small portion, high fiber, low calorie, balanced meals, based on the Glycemic Index.
    Because of the profound improvement in my health, I intend to stay on this small, frequent, high fiber diet the rest of my life. I love it!
  2. Finding out, and avoiding, the things (triggers) that cause over-activation of the Immune System and the NeuroHormonal System.
    Heart Failure, and other heart problems, result in over-active Hormonal Systems, which is the body's attempt to increase the pumping ability of the heart by pouring out excess "helpful" hormones.
    There are also things that trigger either the Immune System or the Neurohormonal System to cause even additional hormones and other body chemicals to be produced, causing unhealthy stress to our systems, and resulting in a worsening of heart failure, high blood pressure, heart rhythm problems, and many other health problems, such as immune systems disorders like MS, CFS and Fibromyalgia. Who would have thought that a curative impact on all these diseases would be as simple, easy and inexpensive, as understanding and avoiding the things that trigger these diseases to get progressively worse!?
    The "helpful" chemicals, hormones and cytokines, are not so helpful when they are over-produced and are constantly circulating in the body. The over-production of these body chemicals need to be blocked or inhibited through either medications, avoiding the "triggers", or both.
    The over-production and over-circulation of hormones, cytokines, etc., can cause damage to organs, glands, joints and nerves, and make you feel sick as a dog, with fatigue, anxiety, mental confusion, headaches, etc..
    Medicines, like Ace Inhibitors, Calcium Channel Blockers, Beta Blockers, Renin Blockers all attempt to block, or inhibit, the overproduction of hormones, and to block or inhibit inflammatory cytokines, such as tumor necrosis factor-a (TNF) and Interleukin-6 (IL). These inflammatory cytokines are additionally produced by the body to counteract the over-production of Hormones, but these inflammatory cytokines can be very damaging, and are what causes worsening Heart Failure and worsens other health problems.
    The more "triggers" of the Immune System, or the NeuroHormonal System, that can be avoided, the less medication that is required. Make sense? For instance, if you can avoid triggers that cause even more over-activation of the adrenal glands, you might thusly require lower dosages of medication that attempt to block the Adrenal Glands, like Beta Blockers.
    The triggers that cause an over-active NeuroHormonal System and the triggers that cause an over-active immune system can be the same triggers or completely different triggers.
  3. Exercise, exercise, exercise!
    Exercise is important, but until my health got better through proper diet and avoiding triggers that cause Heart Failure to get progressively worse, I could only do very limited exercise. Very slowly and gradually I was able to increase physical activity and exercise. Many times I would overdo it and suffer from difficult breathing, chest pains, over-sweating, increased heart rhythm problems and fatigue.
    My current exercise schedule, spread throughout the day, is about fifty pushups a day, 300 lifts with 10 pound weights per day per arm, 450 steps per day, per leg, on my stepper; and power walking one hour per day in two 30 minute sessions. Not bad for a elderly guy suffering from Heart Failure for over 20 years, huh?
    One benefit that I didn't expect to see is a significant improvement in my varicose veins. Who'd of thunk!
  4. Taking the correct meds on the correct schedule.
    Finding out which medicines work best, and when is the best time to take them, is complex and extremely difficult. I've taken, and suffered with, many different heart/blood pressure medications before I figured out what works best for me.
    • To be on the most effective medications, for your unique health problems, you must be in the care of an effective, skilled, caring medical professional. If you are not getting, or feeling better, you should question the ability and effectiveness of your health professional(s).
    I currently take 12.5mg Coreg twice a day; .25mg Digoxin once a day; Warfarin 2.5mg once a day, Flovent and Flonase. You have to admit, that is a very low level of medication for treating all of my chronic diseases.
    • Note 3/30/2009: I Love Coreg!!!

Heart Failure is a progressive disease. That means that it usually gets worse with time, not better. I was limited prior to age 60, but I felt that I was holding my own. Entering my 60's, my health got much worse, with worsening fatigue and weakness, constant chest pains, mental confusion and constant problems breathing, especially when lying down. I was forced to sleep sitting up to limit my breathing and heart rhythm problems.

Now..... close to my 70's, my health is quite good, although I am still limited by my disease(s). My heart is damaged, and while improved, my heart will always be compromised. The most important lesson, I've learned, has been that, even during one's 60's, heart failure does not necessarily have to lead to death and morbidity.

When my symptoms worsened, back in 1998, I started taking my blood pressure many times per day. It wasn't until 2004, when I incorporated all four essential steps, that my blood pressure, and health, started the long journey back towards better health. I started documenting my journey, right here on HealthBoards, in January 2005 on a thread, I called, Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure? The link to that thread is: [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=242229[/url] At that time, I did not really know if I would continue to improve, or continue to get worsening heart failure.

These were my annual "average" blood pressure readings from 1998 through 2008.
  • 1998: 152/97, readings=1016; Standard Deviation= Systolic of 15 and Diastolic of 9
    An average of 152/97 for the ENTIRE YEAR! Is it any wonder why I was getting worse!?
  • 1999 : 146/92, readings=3599; Standard Deviation= Systolic of 14 and Diastolic of 9
    An average of 146/92, each and every day, for the entire year. Better than 1998, but still a serious health problem!
  • 2000 : 145/92, readings=3322; Standard Deviation= Systolic of 12 and Diastolic of 8
  • 2001 : 147/92, readings=2375; Standard Deviation= Systolic of 12 and Diastolic of 7
  • 2002 : 150/96, readings=1423; Standard Deviation= Systolic of 13 and Diastolic of 8
  • 2003 : 151/96, readings=1032; Standard Deviation= Systolic of 13 and Diastolic of 8
  • 2004 : 146/90, readings=2065; Standard Deviation= Systolic of 14 and Diastolic of 8
  • 2005 : 139/86, readings=2526; Standard Deviation= Systolic of 12 and Diastolic of 8
  • 2006 : 136/79, readings=3269; Standard Deviation= Systolic of 12 and Diastolic of 7
  • 2007 : 126/74, readings=2720; Standard Deviation= Systolic of 12 and Diastolic of 7
    An average of 126/74 for the entire year. There is hope that I can survive these nasty diseases!
  • 2008 : 122/72, readings=2543; Standard Deviation= Systolic of 12 and Diastolic of 7

My Cholesterol Numbers are also great, without ever having to take statins!
  • Total Cholesterol: around 160
  • HDL: around 60
  • LDL: around 90
  • Trig: around 60
  • Ratio: < 3

As long as I adhere to the four essential steps, I don't have to worry about my blood pressure or worsening heart failure or heart rhythm problems, etc.

The solution, and steps, one must take, to significantly improve most cases of high blood pressure, worsening heart failure, most heart rhythm disorders and many other immune system diseases are amazingly simple, but takes a lot of work.

My health is slowly improving day by day. I feel younger, stronger, more alert, and with more energy. I never expect my heart to fully recover, but at this point, who cares! After 20+ years of dealing with Heart Failure, I am certainly not going to complain!

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 04-03-2009 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Updated 2008 stats

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
KaileyD (09-24-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2008, 08:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: The four essential steps, that I've taken, that help me live with Heart Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon 11-13-2003, 08:32 PM
... I have noticed, as I have gotten older, that I need to eat a more balanced meal. If I snack on carbohydrates, without including a "proper" amount of fats and protein, my symptoms, especially heart arrythmia and shortness of breath, will get worse.

I do not eat after 7pm at night. I especially do not eat carbohydrates, because, at night, carbohydrates will really get my heart beating badly. At night, once my heart starts jumping, racing, thumping and skipping, it stays that way for hours, and sometimes for the entire night. ...
The quote at the top of this post is one of mine from 2003 during the time in my life when I was trying to figure out why the eating of carbs was causing me to suffer from increased breathing and heart rhythm problems. I did not find out, or accept, the reason for my increase, in nasty heart problems, until 2005 and my nasty, uncomfortable misery continued, and worsened from 2003, until 2005. I went on a healthy diet, December 2004, eventually lost 50 pounds, and my health, and heart failure, slowly and dramatically improved since then.

I can now eat after 7pm without suffering any of the old nasty problems.

Here is the link to the 2003 post: [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showpost.php?p=716822&postcount=4[/url]

You can take every single medication known to mankind, and it won't take the place of a healthy diet. That is why I listed "diet" as essential step #1.

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 10-18-2008 at 05:31 AM.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
(male)

paulieboy908 HB User
Thumbs up Re: The four essential steps, that I've taken, that help me live with Heart Failure

Keep up the good work! nice to hear your feeling better.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
(male)

nosa47 HB User
Re: The four essential steps, that I've taken, that help me live with Heart Failure

Machaon:

Just a few lines to let you know that what you are doing is very commandable. Not only are you facing and beating a tough foe in heart disease and getting rewarded for it by feeling better and living your life as normal as possible, but you are also an inspiration to others who are facing the same battle.

I have been dealing with heart disease for almost 22 years where I had a heart attack at the ripe old age of 34. There is no doubt in my mind that diet and exercise are among the top factors along with stress reduction and others needed in fighting this battle.

You are absolutely right in saying that there are great heart medications out there but if you rely solely on them, you will not be getting the best outcome in your treatment. Many, if not most, of the side effects of the various medications are dose-related, and if you make the necessary life-style changes, you can minimize the dosage or even completely eliminate some of them. In the past 22 years, Plavix has been the only heart medication that I took after a stent implant in 2006. I stopped taking it 13 months later. I have been taking aspirin all along (now taking 325 mg daily).

Heart disease is tricky and tough to deal with, but it is not a death sentence. The key is to have self-motivation and to dedicate the time and effort to do your utmost and not to be passive about your treatment. There are a lot of resources on the internet, so educate yourself and work with your cardiologist on what is best for your indvidual case.

There was a time after my initial heart attack where I felt that I will never live to see 40. Now that I am almost 57, I thank God every day for giving me the strength and the will to go on and do the right things. In my own case, faith has been the key catalyst that made everything else possible. I have long ago stopped asking myself why me and rather look at the whole experience as a positive one in that I was given another chance at life and I am making the best of it. My personal inspiration has been my father who at the age of 53 had his first heart attack in 1975. He is now 86 and gets up every morning for his early one-hour walk with my mother. Of course, she has been the one handling the diet factor of his life-style changes.

I wish you continued success in dealing with your condition(s) and hope that others share their success stories. Keep the faith and hope.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosa47 View Post
... You are absolutely right in saying that there are great heart medications out there but if you rely solely on them, you will not be getting the best outcome in your treatment.
When my heart failure and health was starting to get worse, about 10 years ago, I started experimenting with my meds. Over and over again, I increased some, decreased some, tried new medications, went back and tried increasing or decreasing the same meds again, stopped a med, stopped another med, took a particular med twice a day, or three times a day, instead of once a day, etc.

Sometimes, my playing around with my meds helped, but most of the time, any perceived benefit was short-lived. My health continued to get worse.

I was looking for a magic bullet, a pill that would come to my rescue and stop my nasty, worsening health problems. Research shows that these miracle meds extend life and improve the quality of life. So...... why weren't my meds more effective!?

I got my answer when I went on a healthy diet. Only then did I experience significant improvements in my health. As you posted in your note: "but if you rely solely on them, you will not be getting the best outcome in your treatment."

Many people, like myself, just want to pop a pill and do not want to fight the hard fight. It is only after illness gets debilitating, that we resign ourselves to doing the right thing.

Quote:
Many, if not most, of the side effects of the various medications are dose-related, and if you make the necessary life-style changes, you can minimize the dosage or even completely eliminate some of them.
I agree.

I experience very few side effects, if any, from my current meds, but if I increase them, the side effects can get nasty.

Just as you have experienced, in my case, thru life-style changes, I have eliminated most of my meds, and only take minimum doses of my current meds, and I am feeling better and better with each passing week.

Quote:
Heart disease is tricky and tough to deal with, but it is not a death sentence. The key is to have self-motivation and to dedicate the time and effort to do your utmost and not to be passive about your treatment. There are a lot of resources on the internet, so educate yourself and work with your cardiologist on what is best for your indvidual case.
I couldn't agree more. Doctors don't take the time, and don't have the time or inclination, to properly research each patient. Patients should use their doctor's input and diagnosis as just one of the many resources available in order to get the best outcome.

Thanks for your words of encouragement, and for posting about your own heart problems, and your success story.

Regards, and take care!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 10-24-2008, 09:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
... The more "triggers" of the Immune System that can be avoided, the less medication that is required. Make sense? For instance, if you can avoid triggers that over-activate the adrenal glands, you might thusly require lower dosages of medication that attempt to block the Adrenal Glands, like Beta Blockers. ...
For the past week, I've had a significant increase in breathing difficulties, chest pains, fatigue, feeling lousy and heart rhythm problems. I have had major difficulties in sleeping at night.

I tried avoiding additional "minor" triggers, but that didn't help. I increased my Asthma meds. That didn't help.

So....... then what I did was increase my Coreg from 3.125mg to 9.375mg. I was guessing that, the increase in my symptoms were due to an increase in Adrenal Hormones caused by a "seasonal" increase in allergens in our environment. The increase in Coreg would help to increase the blockage of Adrenal hormones, and hopefully help to relieve some of my misery. Shortly after I took the increased Coreg, I started feeling better, and continued to improve throughout that day and the next day. *For the past two days and nights, I've felt much better.

The bottom line? Well...... as I quoted in my prior post, the more immune system triggers that can be avoided, the less medication is needed. In this case, the increase in seasonal allergens can not be avoided and I needed additional medication, resulting in the increase in Coreg from 3.125mg to 9.375mg. Coreg will stay at 9.375mg until the season changes and there is a reduction in the current level of seasonal allergens.

One problem could be that I won't be able to tolerate the side effects of 9.375mg Coreg, and then would have to reduce it to 6.5mg Coreg, and then see if it was effective at that level.

Another problem could be that Coreg 9.375mg would lower my low, healthy blood pressure too much. That hasn't happened yet. I would like to stay at 9.375mg.

Another problem could be that the improvements in my health were just a coincidence and had nothing to do with the increased Coreg. That, of course, is possible, but improbable. I don't think it is all just a remarkable coincidence.

Patients expect their doctors to have all the answers. Doctors are expected to prescribe the correct medications for our very unique, individual bodies, environments and lifestyles, at the correct levels and on a correct medicine schedule. It just ain't possible. The best way to get better is to be very proactive in one's own care, follow the four essential steps, and be very lucky in hitting the mark.

One other thing that I do know is that surviving Heart Failure, Atrial Fibrillation, Tachycardia, Asthma, Insulin Resistance and an overactive Immune System is a full time job that NEVER lets me forget that I have these nasty health problems.

* 10/25/08 4th day on 9.375mg Coreg, and still feeling good!
Not getting syncope (fainting) this time, on the increased Coreg. Probably because I am no longer taking either my CCB or my AceI. I am also able to come into contact with some Immune System "triggers" for the first time in a long time, without health problems. This makes things a lot easier on me!

It's too early to fully assess, but I would LOVE to get my dose of Coreg up to at least 25mg per day. At least there is hope that, without the interaction with other meds, I can finally increase Coreg up to a much more beneficial dosage.

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 10-25-2008 at 08:54 AM.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:20 AM   #7
(female)

Angelincorth HB User

Many people, like myself, just want to pop a pill and do not want to fight the hard fight. It is only after illness gets debilitating, that we resign ourselves to doing the right thing.

I believe that diet and exercise are important factors that maintain a healthy lifestyle and good heart health, what if you have problems exercising, I have found Q10 has helped me exercise and I am getting fitter by the day, just a suggestion that may help you.

Helen

Old 10-29-2008, 08:19 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Beefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB User

Helen,
Interesting that you find Q10 helpful. The last time I tried it - a few years back - I could not detect any energy increase, so I gave it up. It is of course supposed to be the source of "cellular energy" , whatever that is. I tried a few different doses. What dose did you find was effective, and for what sort of energetic activities?
Thanks for your help, Beefy.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:00 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
For the past week, I've had a significant increase in breathing difficulties, chest pains, fatigue, feeling lousy and heart rhythm problems. I have had major difficulties in sleeping at night.

So....... then what I did was increase my Coreg from 3.125mg to 9.375mg.

Shortly after I took the increased Coreg, I started feeling better, and continued to improve throughout that day and the next day. *For the past two days and nights, I've felt much better. ...
I have been feeling excellent since I increased my Coreg from 3.125mg, EXCELLENT! I am sleeping through the night, lying down, and waking up in the morning feeling refreshed and alert, despite all my nasty health problems. So...... I've decided a futher increase in Coreg was warranted. I've increased my Coreg from 9.375mg to 12.5mg. It's been nine days since I increased Coreg from 3.125mg to 9.375mg; and four days since I increased Coreg from 9.375mg to 12.5mg. Time will tell how well I tolerate 12.5mg. I've never been able to tolerate either 9.375mg or 12.5mg, but I had always been on multiple medications, which I think interacted with the Coreg. More and more, I feel that multiple similar medications cause more problems than their benefits. Now that I am just on Digoxin, Warfarin, Flonase and Coreg; I think that I have a much better chance surviving the increased dose of Coreg.

So far, no side effects from Coreg, only feeling much better on Coreg. I love Coreg!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 11-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #10
(male)

earl1964 HB User

I think your post is an excellent one however I was disallusioned to hear of new study by Dr. Christopher O' Connor of Duke University that says heart failure patients do not benefit from excercise. This was on MSNBC's homepage under the health heading. What does everyone think?

Old 11-11-2008, 07:05 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

How are you managing on 12.5 mg of Coreg? I hope you continue to feel great and that you can tolerate the increased dose.

Your post is very inspiring. How good of you to share your insights and triumphs! Yours is an amazing story! It shows that the road to success can be a long one, with many twists and turns. The trick is to learn from the setbacks and use them to one's advantage.

What have you done to overcome your shortness of breath? I am finding it very restricting.

Wishing you good health and continued success.

flowergirl

Old 11-12-2008, 06:39 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl1964 View Post
... Study by Dr. Christopher O' Connor of Duke University that says heart failure patients do not benefit from excercise.
How can a doctor say that?!

Physical exercise is essential to our metabolism and the overall health of our bodies, even for those with heart failure. It doesn't matter if the patient has heart failure, or diabetes, or immune system dysfunction, or allergies, or headaches, etc., exercise and diet are the two best medications that we can take, PERIOD!

One thing to think of is that the medical world does not make too much money from healthy patients, who exercise and eat healthy diets.

For those, like me, with Heart Failure, you have to start slow and easy, within the limitations of the injured heart. To me, my limitation level was easy. If I overdid it, I would suffer from nasty breathing problems and "increased" heart rhythm problems, for up to three days.

At first I could not do any physical exercise. When I would go shopping, I would tire easily. I usually had to return home within about an hour. The slightest effort caused increased symptoms. But, I could walk. My wife and I walked an hour per day, in our home, in two 30 minute sessions. Sometimes, of course, I could not even walk without increased symptoms and breathing problems. Sometimes, I could not walk for several days, due to breathing problems and weakness, etc.

The biggest impact on my health was going on a very healthy, frequent feeding, small meal, low calorie, low carb diet. The first two years of that diet brought my blood pressure down to much healthier levels, and my health improved quite a bit. During that time, we continued our one hour a day walking, even though, at times I had to stop due to breathing problems.

As I improved, due to diet, I was also able to increase my exercise, but with very limited physical exercise. I've also slowly learned about the things/irritants that trigger the over-production of Immune System, and NeuroHormonal body chemicals, which are responsible for worsening Heart Failure, and Immune System diseases such as Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). The Pharmaceutical Industry makes expensive medications that help to block, or inhibit, the "triggers", but they don't document the obvious "triggers", probably because too many sufferers would become much better, and need fewer medications and fewer doctor visits, causing huge, billion dollar loses for both the Pharmaceutical Industry and the Medical Industry!

Currently, as a result of diet, exercise, taking the most effective medications and avoiding the "triggers", I am doing about 100 pushups per day, 300 lifts per day with two ten-pound weights, and 300 steps per leg per day, and I am feeling much better and stronger. My heart is still damaged, but it is stronger and I can do much more without increased symptoms. Even so, once in a while, I'll do my lifts too close together and strain my heart and I will have breathing problems, and my heart will start jumping around, but that only lasts for about an hour, instead of lasting three days as before.

Exercise works for me. But........ I started slow and easy.

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 03-19-2009 at 03:18 PM.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:23 PM   #13
(male)

nosa47 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl1964 View Post
I think your post is an excellent one however I was disallusioned to hear of new study by Dr. Christopher O' Connor of Duke University that says heart failure patients do not benefit from excercise. This was on MSNBC's homepage under the health heading. What does everyone think?
The headline on this subject on MSNBC home page is very misleading. I researched the subject from other sources on the internet which gave a completely different picture than what was headlined on MSNBC. As usual, it seems the the news media would rather highlight bad news rather than good ones.

It appears that they did a secondary study with certain adjustments on "specific baseline characteristics" which took into account clinical factors predicting hospitalization or death, and they found that exercise is not only safe but SIGNIFICANTLY beneficial for patients with heart failure. They went on to say that the study will change the old belief system that exercise might be too risky for heart failure patients. If you do a research under Duke study on heart failure patients, you can read the articles that conclude that the outcome of the study is completely different from what you read on MSNBC headlines.

This is another example of the importance of each patient being active in his/her own treatment and evaluating their own condition and listening to their body and not just rely on what is being dictated to them. I wonder how many poor souls out there who read the headlines and did not follow through on researching the subject, and decided to stop exercising even though they were feeling and doing better with the exercise. That is really sad and makes one very

Old 11-14-2008, 12:40 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
How are you managing on 12.5 mg of Coreg? I hope you continue to feel great and that you can tolerate the increased dose.
So far, no reaction to the increased dose, except for an acceptable bounce up in blood pressure, which usually goes back down after about 10 days.

Quote:
Your post is very inspiring. How good of you to share your insights and triumphs! Yours is an amazing story! It shows that the road to success can be a long one, with many twists and turns. The trick is to learn from the setbacks and use them to one's advantage.
Your comment, that it is a long road to success, is right on. There are many twists and turns, and not everything makes sense. The more pro-active a patient can get, the better chance of making an improvement. We are basically on our own due to our broken medical system.

Quote:
What have you done to overcome your shortness of breath? I am finding it very restricting.
My breathing difficulties have improved quite a bit, but it is still an ongoing problem. I've got Heart Failure, Asthma and Insulin Resistance (pre-diabetes II state), all of which cause my breathing problems. A week ago, I got too close to someone who was smoking, and I suffered with a tight chest for two days. It was nasty, especially at night.

Sugar is like poison to me, and causes breathing difficulties. So I stay away from simple carbs, and stick closely to low glycemic foods.

If I exert myself too much, I also have problems breathing. I lift two 10 pound weights, in two sets of 30, and then do a set or two of at least 10 pushups. If I do them too close together, I'll have breathing difficulties.

So....... in my case, too much physical exertion, too many carbs or contact with various irritants or allergens cause my breathing problems. How about you? Have you found any major causes of your breathing problems?

Quote:
Wishing you good health and continued success.

flowergirl
I hope that this is the start of your best times!

Take care.

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 12-16-2008, 11:19 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
... I've increased my Coreg from 9.375mg to 12.5mg. It's been nine days since I increased Coreg from 3.125mg to 9.375mg; and four days since I increased Coreg from 9.375mg to 12.5mg.
I've been on 6.25mg Coreg, twice a day (12.5mg total), for about 46 days. Doing quite well on it. I do not intend any additional increase in Coreg.

Quote:
Now that I am just on Digoxin, Warfarin, Flonase and Coreg; I think that I have a much better chance surviving the increased dose of Coreg.
During August, I increased my calories which caused an increase in my blood pressure. My average blood pressure was getting too low, so I wondered what an increase in calories would do. After I increased the size of my meals, as time progressed, my average blood pressure kept creeping up, week after week, month after month.

For reference:
  • For the entire year 2002 : 150/96
  • For the entire year 2003 : 151/96

Current year readings:
  • In August, BP was 112/69
  • In Sept, BP was 116/68
  • In Oct, BP was 124/73
  • In Nov, BP was 126/74

December 1st, I started taking a Nitro under my tongue at 4pm, for it's lowing effect on my blood pressure, during the evening hours when blood pressure is at it's highest.

My blood pressure averages are based on daily blood pressure readings, normally ranging from 6am to 10pm.

On December 6th, I stopped taking the Nitro and started taking 10mg of Quinapril, an Ace Inhibitor. As a result, my average blood pressure, for December, has dropped down to more reasonable levels.

For December, so far, my average BP has been 123/72.

I decided to resume taking Quinapril because of positive articles about Coreg and Ace Inhibitors reversing Heart Failure and Cardiomyopathy, and because I wanted a lower, average BP.

So far, no side effects from the increased Coreg, or the Quinapril, even though I have very high levels of potassium in my diet.

It has not been easy battling Heart Failure, Persistent Atrial Fibrillation, Immune System Dysfunction, Asthma, Sinusitis, Multiple Chemical Sensitivities and Chronically High Blood Pressure all at the same time.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Doing well after 20+ years of Heart Failure, Persistent Atrial Fibrillation, Asthma, MCS, Insulin Resistance, Hypertension, Immune Dysfunction.

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 12-17-2008 at 06:10 AM.

Closed Thread