It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
(male)

robert06 HB User
aortic valve replacement

hello....this is my first time on a blog so bare with me please. has anyone had an aortic valve replacement surgery that can tell me if they chose a mechanical valve or pig valve? i am struggling with a decision on which to do. i am 53 and in tremendous health.

thank you

Old 11-18-2008, 04:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: aortic valve replacement

Both valves obviously have their pros and cons. The pig valve doesn't last as long, but at the same time, you don't have to take blood thinners for the rest of your life. It's a hard call. Why are you getting an aortic valve replacement (AVR)? Do you have a congenital valve abnormality?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
(male)

robert06 HB User

i have a severe aortic regurgatation. i am going in again in january for a followup echo. my cardiologist said i will hav to get it replaced at some point, so i figured since i am as healthy and strong as i am now, i might as well get it done.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

It is my understanding that valve replacement is not an elective surgery. Are you symptomatic? I have multiple valve regurgitation and am being followed closely and managed on meds at this point. I also have to have an echo every 3 months to watch for any progression. I know that test results will tell at what point my surgery is indicated. As for the type of valve to use; there are many factors to consider, such as age, whether one is a candidate for anticoagulant therapy, etc. If you read up on valve replacements, you will see that even though pig valves are used with much success, they do have a life expectancy and may have to be replaced at some point. The Cleveland Clinic has some wonderful info on the subject if you care to research.

Good luck.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:51 PM   #5
(female)

mel8801 HB User
Thumbs up Re: aortic valve replacement

Hello Robert06....I had my mitral valve repaired in April. When I went into surgery they said if it could not be repaired they would give me what they thought was best in my situation. Thankfully they could repair it. I have heard that the machanical valve has a click that you can always hear and is something you have to get used to. You have to take a blood thinner if you have a machanical valve but not if they give you a pig valve. I have also heard they can replace the aortic valve without doing open heart surgery. Ask your cardiologist about it. I knew I had MV regurgatation for years and would eventually need it replaced or repaired. iIt started getting worse and my heart was beginning to enlarge so I chose to have it done now while I was healthy. I could have waited until later but am glad I had it done now so recovery time was a lot easier than would have been had I waited. God Bless

Old 12-31-2008, 08:12 PM   #6
(male)

JMVB HB User

I have had an artifical aortic valve for almost 30 yrs so they do last a long time. I have taken Warfarin every day since with little trouble other that bruising and longer bleeding from cuts. The pig valves may only last 10-12 years, 1 open heart surgery per life time is enough for me thank you!!!

EDIT:Had 1 episode of internal bleeding I forgot about(~25 yrs ago) on 10mg warfarin daily. I'll take the potential difficulties of warfarin over the possibility of heart surgery every 12-15 years. I reccomend inr checks regularly when first dosed with warfarin until it stabilizes and you reach a comfort level on issues of clotting or bleedout.

Last edited by JMVB; 01-16-2009 at 04:04 PM. Reason: additional info

Old 01-01-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User

In Canada (I'm not sure about the States) there is a guy at Toronto General hospital who does the "endovascular replacement of the aortic valve". It happens without open heart surgery. He puts a catheter in to the femoral artery, goes all the way back to the aorta and then replaces the valve through a catheter. It's crazy actually that that's possible. The procedure isn't available everywhere.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:41 AM   #8
(female)

mel8801 HB User

A few months ago they interviewed 2 men in their 80s that had the Endovascular replacment of the aortic valve done and they were out of the hospital in 2 days and feeling great. That was here in the states but did not catch which state it was in. Talk to you cardiologist. They can also do the mitral vale the same way but they checked me and I was not a candidate for it.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #9
(male)

dwpete HB User

Hi i'm new here and would like to find other people who have had aortic valve replacement and are using warfarin has a blood thinner.I had my bicuspid valve replaced Oct.5th,2007 with a mechanical valve(i'm 46 now)and now take warfarin(cumadin)to keep an inr of 2.5 to 3,my inr so far has been rather inconsistent although the last few months it is in the target,well actually 2.4 this past Monday.Does anyone else here have trouble regulating there inr,also wondering if anyone here uses on of those home inr testing devices,i have been giving some thought to purchasing one myself but like to hear from anyone using one if they think its worth the cost.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:18 PM   #10
(female)

mel8801 HB User

HI DWPETE.....I have been on Warfarin since April of this year. They want my INR between 2 and 3. I was going weekly for my testing and was always a little above or below. I have only been regulated for 2 months. It is nice onlyto have to go to the lab once a month now instead of weekly. I does take awhile to get it regulated. Too much Vitamin K (leafy dark green veggies) can effect you INR. I would love to talk to someone who has used the home testing kit. My husband and I RV and it would be a lot easier than trying to find a lab in different states /towns.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:53 PM   #11
(male)

dwpete HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel8801 View Post
HI DWPETE.....I have been on Warfarin since April of this year. They want my INR between 2 and 3. I was going weekly for my testing and was always a little above or below. I have only been regulated for 2 months. It is nice onlyto have to go to the lab once a month now instead of weekly. I does take awhile to get it regulated. Too much Vitamin K (leafy dark green veggies) can effect you INR. I would love to talk to someone who has used the home testing kit. My husband and I RV and it would be a lot easier than trying to find a lab in different states /towns.
Hi back Mel,yes right after my surgery they were checking my inr every couple of days,then it went to every week,every other week and so on,now it's just monthly,but i still think hard about getting a home testing machine,if my blood is to thick it will clot on that artificial valve so i like to know its where its supposed to be,my life depends on it.
I only found out i had a problem with the valve in the spring of 2007 and was put on the urgent list for surgery,quite a surprise for me,it was about 6 months and i was under the knife,so to speak,my first ever stay in the hospital,wow.All went well and luckily i'm here to tell my tale.M y only issue now is keeping that inr where its supposed to be.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #12
(male)

dwpete HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMVB View Post
I have had an artifical aortic valve for almost 30 yrs so they do last a long time. I have taken Warfarin every day since with little trouble other that bruising and longer bleeding from cuts. The pig valves may only last 10-12 years, 1 open heart surgery per life time is enough for me thank you!!!
Wow,30 years,thats good to know,what is your target inr,if you don't mind my asking.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #13
(male)

halman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert06 View Post
hello....this is my first time on a blog so bare with me please. has anyone had an aortic valve replacement surgery that can tell me if they chose a mechanical valve or pig valve? i am struggling with a decision on which to do. i am 53 and in tremendous health.

thank you
Robert, my name is Hal, and am 57 yrs, and last October I had a aorta aneurysm repair with the valve replacement for the left ventricular chamber of the heart. The new valve is the artificial valve by St. Jude Medical, and the original heart valve was removed. The surgeon told me that the aorta repair required removing a section and replacing with an artificial splice, and the new valve was placed withing the new piece at the root at the heart. I was told this valve will last the rest of my life, whereas the pig valve is only good for about ten years. The drawback to the artificial valve is that I am on blood thinner medication for the rest of my life. I was expecting a ticking, so to speak, with the new valve, but in reality, it is more like a thumping in the center of my upper chest with every heartbeat. It is like a light strike of a finger on the sternum. It is a little uncomfortable, and I am aware of every heartbeat, and I can even hear and feel the beat in my chest, neck and can even hear the beat. I often wonder if it will soften in time, but I am not sure if it will. You did not say which heart valve you are having a problem with, but I hope my reply may be of some help to you. Good luck.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:28 AM   #14
(male)

JMVB HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwpete View Post
Wow,30 years,thats good to know,what is your target inr,if you don't mind my asking.
2.5 TO 3.5 is what they want but I'm usually about 1.9 with 5mg 4days a week and 7.5 mg 3 days a week. Dr. said liklehood of clotting after 30 yrs is minimal but they do fuss at me about it, only prob in 30 yrs was kidneybleedout on 10mg daily about 25 years ago with 1 week in hospital and transfusion. I check inr at doc ofc about every 6 months sometimes, they fuss about that also! a home machine would be nice. newlys on warfarin should check it regularly(1nc a month?)

Old 03-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #15
(male)

easydoesit HB User

Question for Goldyrm - with your multiple valve regurgiation, do you ever feel chilled or cold all the time?

Closed Thread