It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
(male)

Paczer HB User
Been taking a daily "overdose" of Amiodarone for years

At a routine checkup for my mother at her cardiologist we discovered that she has been taking 200 mg of amiodarone daily when she should have been taking only 100 mg each day. I think this error in daily dosage may have been taking place since she started her maintenance on this drug, so we're talking several years.

The cardio doctor didn't seem too concerned. He said the heart doesn't become dependent on the higher dosage, and to use the correct 100 mg daily dose from this point going forward. (An aside: This error in the dosage was not his fault.)

My first question is how concerned should we be about this daily "overdosage" of this powerful drug? I know it has a long half life (the drug remains in your system for weeks if one was to discontinue using it) and has a long list of potential side-effects. Is there something through a test, or what have you, the doctor should monitor closely for the next couple months or more to see what effect this correction of the dosage has on her?

All of this begs another question: How does a doctor determine what dose a patient should go on? From what I understand, the recommended daily dosage for some patients is 100 mg and other patients 200 mg, but I have no idea how a doctor reaches the conclusion of which dosage to give for each individual patient.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Been taking a daily "overdose" of Amiodarone for years

I hope that your mother is decreasing her dosage, from 200mg to 100mg, at a safe rate. After two years on Amiodarone, a sudden decrease of 100mg could result in some nasty reactions, IMHO.

Check with the doctor, about the rate of the weaning. If he says that it is perfectly safe to go from 200mg to 100mg, then ask for his opinion in writing.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
(male)

Paczer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
I hope that your mother is decreasing her dosage, from 200mg to 100mg, at a safe rate. After two years on Amiodarone, a sudden decrease of 100mg could result in some nasty reactions, IMHO.

Check with the doctor, about the rate of the weaning. If he says that it is perfectly safe to go from 200mg to 100mg, then ask for his opinion in writing.

Machaon, I appreciate for your input. What kind of nasty reactions are possible?

To dose at 100mg I am cutting a 200 mg pill in half (today is the first day). I assume you mean go to 150 mg for a while. Can a pill be cut in quarters and would that advsersely affect how it is absorbed by the body, or is there a lower dosage pill?

Much thanks

Old 11-25-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paczer View Post
Machaon, I appreciate for your input. What kind of nasty reactions are possible?
I am not a doctor, nor do I have any experience with Amiodarone. But..... in my own experience with heart disease and medication, over the past 20 years, there are a lot of "rebound" effects, among others, when reducing medication too fast.

Amiodarone usually is used to treat a fast heart rate. I would imagine, if the dose is reduced too fast, then your mother might have problems with a return of her fast heart rate.

My normal reactions to reducing my heart meds too fast, is increased breathing problems, heart rhythm problems, weakness and higher blood pressure.

Quote:
To dose at 100mg I am cutting a 200 mg pill in half (today is the first day). I assume you mean go to 150 mg for a while. Can a pill be cut in quarters and would that advsersely affect how it is absorbed by the body, or is there a lower dosage pill?

Much thanks
I have no idea. It's best to contact the doctor, tell him you are concerned about rebound tachycardia, and are interested in weaning your mother down to 100mg. If he insists that there is no problem with a rapid reduction from 200mg to 100mg, I would get it in writing. Your mother was on 200mg for two long years.

Amiodarone, like most heart medications, suppresses the activity of certain glands and body hormones. When a heart medication is reduced, or stopped, the glands tend to take a while to recover. It's best to use caution when reducing medication, IMHO.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Closed Thread