It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2008, 09:56 PM   #1
(female)

Kay3282 HB User
Life After A Heart Attack

Hello,
My husband had a Heart Attack in October 2008, At the hospital he did go into cardiac arrest, They used those shock paddles which brought him back, they got the blockage open and he now has a stent.
Since this has happened he's seems different, for one-he is still in shock that he went into cardiac arrest but at the same time, he seems like he is not as happy as he used to be, He is very tired, from what I was told -that's normal, but he is not the same guy he was before this happened. Has anyone gone threw something like this and how did you feel after?
Kay

Old 11-28-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
(male)

MatrixX HB User
Re: Life After A Heart Attack

Its quite normal to be depressed after something like this happens. You need to tell his doctor if he doesn't soon snap out of it as this can hurt his recovery. He needs to do all he can now to make sure he exercises and eats right and takes his meds and remembers you only live once and well he got a 2nd chance at life as if he was not in a hospital when he went into cardiac arrest he could be 6 feet under right now. Every day above ground is a good day especially when your around loved ones and still have your faculties and wits about you. I wish him good luck in the future.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2008, 04:33 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hello Kay,

I am so sorry that yur husband has experienced the trauma of a heart attack, and he is so lucky to have you there with him for the recovery. Patience is the key.

I suffered a heart attack at 42 years old, and it is enough to turn your life upside down. I found that I lost so much confidence in my self, being brought down like that, becoming dependant, when the day before it happened...I was the old me!

All of a sudden everything changes, and you feel such a loss of self. Who IS the new me? The future becomes unknown, and you still have to wonder what recovery will bring. You are weak, and sick, and typically on a complicated regimin of medications (that all have their own side effects). It can be very overwhelming, and certainly depressing.

Having someone like you, there to assure him that everything can be worked out, and that the time spent recovering is essential...that will give him the ability to recover easier, and reduce his stress.

I am 5 years past my heart attack (and 4 strokes too), I am a new person. I am happy everyday I get to live, and am happy to do it with a few restrictions, and alot of medicine, and much more patience. Yes, I take an anti-depressant and an anti-anxiety pill everday, to help even everything out. There is certainly nothing wrong with that.

Give your husband a nice warm hug, tell him that you are there for him, and love him dearly...for you too, get the gift of every minute you have together.
I wish you both the best...

Old 12-01-2008, 09:49 PM   #4
(female)

Kay3282 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Life After A Heart Attack

Hi,
Thank You for your reply's, it dose help. I've been trying to keep him busy and that seems to be raising his spirts, he helped me put up the Christmas lights up outside and we went Christams shopping. We live in a state that is having snow right now so we end up being his the house allot more.
I'm very Thankful he is still hear with us, Our family is very lucky, we are lucky he coded at the hospital instead of at home, he would not be hear.
One more question. when you started on these meds they put you on after a heart attack plus everything you went threw, did you feel like you had Brain Fog, were you more forgetful?
Kay

Last edited by Kay3282; 12-01-2008 at 09:51 PM.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Kay,

Yes, the medications certainly take getting used to, and fatigue is quite normal. I hope you continue to enjoy the holidays, with your family. Prayers for your hubby!

Old 12-07-2008, 05:50 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Beefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB User

Hi Kay,
From what I know cardiac arrest is not uncommon when recovering from a heart attack. I know they often attach the paddles ready for it. Got something to do with the heart's response when having a major blocked artery suddenly reopened. The drugs they administer may also have something to do with it (e.g. the inrush of drugs to the opened artery)
In a video I saw they had the paddles ready but the patient "kick-started" himself after several seconds. The theatre staff treated this as more or less normal, or they were at least prepared for it.
If the arrest period was short I would not read too much into it. But one hell of a harrowing time for all - not the least for hubby!!
Good luck, Beefy

Old 12-08-2008, 10:31 PM   #7
(female)

sara35 HB User

Hello Kay, my name is Sara and my husband had a heart attack Sept.16th of 2008, the difference between our 2 situations is that I've noticed my husbands self confidence is way down, and he has a very short fuse lately, but everything I've read about depression after a heart attack supposedly that is normal....What I'm wondering is are you having the fear I'm having, my husband is only 39 and we have 2 children under 4, until this event I was a stay at home mom....but now I'm heading into the workforce, putting my kids in daycare because I'm so afraid that he could have another one any time and die....I'm also feeling resentful and angry even though I know that's the last thing I can let him know right now, but I'm mad as hell, he almost left me alone and he's been my whole world for my whole adult life, are you feeling this way and when does it go away. I can't sleep at night because my mind is constantly racing with thoughts of raising my kids by myself....

Old 12-09-2008, 05:17 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Beefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB User

Sara (and Kay),
Keep in mind there are many people who survive heart attacks and go on to live healthy lives - for many decades too. It's not just coincidence that people write health books 20 or 30 years after their heart attacks. They stop and take notice! By taking heed of the advice given, and making necessary lifestyle adjustments your family CAN move on and still have many enjoyable years together. Your husband is young enough for this.
Sure, there is the immediate despair, which must be fought back, but there is also the great relief that your husband survived and can recover. Just believe it (go and buy some books and read about it!).
You'll find solace through family and friends - and you'll find who your real friends are!
Beefy.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:17 PM   #9
(female)

Kay3282 HB User

Hi Sara,
I think we both have gone threw some emotional trama, At night when he is sleeping I think to myself, he could be 6 feet under if we didn't call 911 like we did and we are very lucky. My husband is 47 years old, we have 4 children-2 are moved out and we have two at home, one is down symdrome, My son who is Downs is such a Daddy's boy, I don't know what he would do without him. Isn't it amazing how your life can change with a snap of a finger. I'm not angery but I wish I had my husband back-he used to be funny and it seems like his funny is gone, yes he is short fused, just like your husband, Is you husband on allot of medications? My is one 5 plus a baby asprin. I think if they do what the Doctor says, they should be okay, my brother had a heart attack 6 years ago and he is still around, he changed also after his heart attack but in time he did get back to his old self, still talks about his heath but he can focus on things he enjoys like his grandchildren and vacations. I think they go threw such an emotional scare, it takes time to get over it, I find if I keep my husband busy-he's better-
Kay

Old 12-16-2008, 08:11 PM   #10
(male)

Xenyth HB User

Hi There,

Iíve been though a similar thing your hubby is now going through. I had a heart attack in March 2003 and the same as your hubby had a stent fitted. I was in my 40's at the time.

Its a shock to the system in more ways than one especially as Iíd always been so fit, no warning, no pre pain, nothing that suggested there was anything wrong, so when something like a heart attack happens it does more than take the wind out of your sails.

You feel suddenly less like a man or at least I did, I canít explain why.

When the doctors tell you that you have had a heart attack, your first thoughts or mine were, but, but, but Iím only 48, your second is, thatís it im screwed this can only mean an early death, then your thought process kicks in which follows with depression, anger, frustration, fear, and questions lots and lots of questions, a lot of which cannot be answered or at least not to our satisfaction.

Having a heart attack at a youngish age takes something away from you, before my heart attack I was fit, I played rugby, cricket, football, I went dancing, and I did all the usual social things. I was fun to be around, always the life and soul of any gathering and laughed all the time. I was quite mad if im honest, but in a good way. I spent a lot of time in and out of the country due to the business im in. After the heart attack all that stopped.
I didnít want to go out, I stopped playing the sports and all the social stuff stopped. I became pretty much the opposite of the person I used to be and I guess not much fun to live with as my poor suffering wife would attest to.

With me it was fear, fear of leaving people I loved behind, fear of having another heart attack, fear of dying, fear of collapsing somewhere outside in front of strangers or in another country. I hated going out alone, I hated being in the house alone, I became anxious at the slightest chest pain niggle, snapping at the wife if she said go get it checked out and that in turn making me short tempered.

I suspect your husband is having a lot of those self same thoughts

It changes some people in a way we least expect, I never used to worry about anything, back then I worried about everything...It wasnít doing me any good and it was hurting the people around me.

Now 5 years later, Iím still here, Iím pretty much back to the chap I once was. It took awhile to get back on the horse so to speak but no one but I could do it. My life has changed somewhat, I now donít smoke; I eat healthily and exercise when I can. I still donít like going out alone, I donít like being in the house alone, but I face it and deal with it. I still get anxious from time to time but I deal with it a lot better now than I did back then.

In hindsight it takes awhile to adjust to whatís happened to us, some people deal with it right away some of us take a little longer to come to terms with whatís happened to us. Iíve learned that having a heart attack isnít the end as I thought it was, we just have to re-evaluate make some lifestyle changes and be positive and try not to take things out on the persons that are closest to us....

I hope the above essay helped in some way to undestand some of how he maybe feeling.

I do hope your husband gets better very soon, from my experience its a time thing, once he gets it sorted in his own head Im sure things will improve.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:47 PM   #11
(female)

sara35 HB User

yes my husband is on 6 meds. plus aspirin, my husband is losing a lot of weight, I'm wondering if it's the meds. did this also happen to your husband?

Old 12-20-2008, 09:14 AM   #12
(female)

Kay3282 HB User

Dear Xenyth,
I really appreciate your post, it really helped me understand what he is going threw, I've been very patient and I'm hoping he will do a turn around soon, it hasn't even been two months yet. He is only 47 years old but he was a smoker, they said that is what caused this becasue his colesterol is low and he never had any heart problems before this, it was just like yours, it came out of the blue and really caught him and the entire family off guard. He stopped smoking and frankly that is a very hard task to do, I hope he has the streght to continue to be a non smoker, Are you still on allot of medication? I'm glad your doing well , your a surviver, many people are not as lucky and I've also told my husband that, He is a lucky man.
kay

Old 12-21-2008, 07:30 AM   #13
(female)

Kay3282 HB User

Hi Sara,
Your husband is mostly likey loosing weight becasue he is on a low fat diet, dose he have to watch his sodium also? All those foods can be a factor to weight lose. My brother had a heart attack about 8 years ago, he lost allot of weight once he was put on a restricted diet, By brother was a little on the heavy side, My husband has not lost weight but he quit smoking and becasue of that-he is eating more. My husband has always been one of those people who can eat what ever he wants and not gain weight. How is your husband doing now? Mentally and physically?
Kay

Old 12-21-2008, 11:00 PM   #14
(female)

sara35 HB User

Mentally he seems ok, he's a little short of patience at time but I think that's to be expected but he's not sleeping well, I think he has more fear than he's letting me know about. Physically I think he's good, he bruises easy because of the blood thinner, so his body looks a wreck at times but he's not having pain or anything, he's also a lot more effected by the cold with the blood thinners....

Old 12-23-2008, 11:14 PM   #15
(female)

SternFan HB User

Hello
I'm Lady I'm 47 I had a heart attack when I was just 40
and I'm sorry to say I have never been the same
I was in the best shape of my life when this happened to me
I have problems with depression every since then
I worry that I'm going to have another one
this has gotten a little better with time but it's always there
and I found myself taking it out on others