It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
(male)

pk16 HB User
Young Athlete new to beta blockers...Need some help??

I am a 22 year old professional athlete. For the past couple years, i have been getting occasional pacs/pvcs and what we think is some type of svt. I havent been able to catch the svt episodes on an event monitor or ekg so we are not sure what it is but it feels lilke my heart skips a beat then starts beating fast and i can feel every beat. I dont really have any other symptoms but i can tell something is wrong. After 30 seconds to 15 minutes it will go away. This doesnt happen often at all. maybe once every two months and it always happens when im in a high stress situation. I have had every heart test in the world done and they havent been able to determine what it is cause we never caught an episode when it happened. These test included ekgs, chest xray, echos, stress echco, tilt table, event monitors, ep study.

So I went to the cardiologist today to talk about medication. We decided to try a low dose of a beta blocker to help prevent this svt in the future and also help with mild hypertension and stage fright due to my profession. The drug is Metoprolol ER (Toprol XL). I will be taking 25mg per day to start.

My questions are these:

1.) I want to take a very low dose, is 25 mg per day for a 6'4" 235 lbs man considered low?

2.) At this dose, how bad will it decrease my cardio? Intense exercise is an every day job for me. We figured taking a low dose would not hurt my workouts to bad.

3.) Due to working out every day, i already have a pretty low resting heart rate. It is about 50-60 beats per minute. Will the beta blocker send my heart rate to low? Or is the dose low enough that I should not have a problem?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #2
(female)

packergrl HB User
Re: Young Athlete new to beta blockers...Need some help??

Hi- I also started metoprolol 25 mg 11 days ago. I have high blood pressure and LVH. I have weight trained and did the treadmill everyday and haven't noticed any difference with reaching my target heart rate or being fatigued any easier. My only symptom with the meds is a spacey feeling, kind of like dizziness. I am hoping this gets better. Good luck to you-

Old 01-22-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
(male)

GodHand HB User
Re: Young Athlete new to beta blockers...Need some help??

I had them more frequently than that when I drank every other day in undergrad and my Cardiologist refused to give me any medication. Now I barely get any. I guess some doctors just like to give meds, or did you specifically ask for medication?

Closed Thread