It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
(female)

Marie111 HB User
Question sudden, quick, chest pains

I'm a female in my mid 20's, and have been getting sudden, startling, sharp chest pains that only last a second or two, and does not impair my daily activity. (It just makes me stop in my tracks for a few seconds and think - woah...what was that - or - ahh! there it is again) This could occur once every couple months, or a couple times a day. Lately, I've been averaging a few times a week. Anyway, the pain is consistently on the left side of my chest (just under or to the outer side of my left breast). I can't detect any pattern of when it comes on (physical activity, eating, etc). In fact, it usually comes on when I'm relaxed - watching tv, walking around the house, etc. When I went to my doctor, he heard a clicking sound through the stethescope, so he sent me to get an echocardiogram - he thought I might have mitral valve prolapse - but that test came out negative. (Then again, I didn't get that pain during the test - would that have mattered?) Every doctor seems to discard it as muscle spasms. [Also, every once in a great while (every couple months or so) I get an irregular heart beat that only lasts a minute or 2 - don't know if that's related]. These sudden sharp pains have been happening like this for several years, and I wish someone could just tell me what it is or why I get them! I don't smoke, I'm not overweight, I'm in good general health. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
(female)

KDD 26 HB User
Re: sudden, quick, chest pains

Hey Marie

Did anyone ever mention costochondritis to you? I am not a medical professional, but I did have some experience with. I had sharp pains in the left side of my chest that lasted momentarily and at varies times throughout the day. Mine didn't occur under my breast, but it did occur to either side especially in the sternum area. It is a very scary thing I know. After ruling out heart problems my doctor diagnosed me with costochondritis.

Costochondritis is inflamation of the cartiledge in your rib cage. It is fairly common in females and occurs mostly on the left side. My doctor made the final diagnosis by pressing on the areas where the pain occured and she was able to cause the pain to come back. Mine was caused by some awkward lifting I had been doing on my left side for a few weeks. It has been about a year and a half since the diagnosis. I will still get twinges occasionly, but only when lifting very heavy objects or having a very bad cough.

Like I said I am no medical professional, but most of what you described sounded like what I had. I hope I was of some help to you.

KDD

Old 02-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
(female)

mel8801 HB User

Hi Marie

Since you had an echocardiogram and no Mitral Valve Prolapse was detected you can rest easy that you DO NOT have that because the pain you are having would not have anything to do with the diagnosis. MVP would show up on the echogram pain or no pain. Good Luck

Old 04-10-2009, 10:40 PM   #4
(female)

jmo727 HB User

I've experienced the same thing for quite some time now. I read about something called Precordial Catch Syndrome. It's nothing serious even though it is painful. I believe this is what causes mine.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-14-2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s) - please read the posting rules

Closed Thread