It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Very Low Heart Rate

My heart rate averages 55 BPM. My mother also has the same average. I'm also in pretty good shape (even if I could stand to lose quite a bit of weight). I do at least 30-60 minutes of cardio a day, so I am at least decently fit. I recently had a stress test and echo for palpitations that started a little over a month ago - both tests were just fine. I'm also wearing an event monitor for 30 days, but they seem to be getting fewer and fewer. My concern is that I keep noticing that my heartrate gets very low at night. I've found it on several occasions at 41 BMP. I try not to worry about it since I really have no symptoms to go with it. I intend to ask my cardio about it when I follow up in a few weeks. I also will do the event recorder when it's low like that as well. I just wonder if anyone else has found themselves with such a low heart rate without taking any type of medication? I'm 31 and outside of a broken thyroid (i am hypothyroid after treatment for Graves disease) I'm pretty healthy - so why would my heart rate be sooooo low?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Very Low Heart Rate

Since you are not experiencing any noticible symptoms, such as lethargy, dizzyness, fatigue, fainting etc., I would not worry. Worrying doesn't help anything, but it sure is the first thing we do, isn't it?

I certainly would ask you Dr. at your next appointment, as you plan too. My first guess is that he/she will attribute much of it to genetics, and your healthy lifestyle to the rest. Everyone maintains a unique set of "numbers"...a specific range where we operate naturally. I personally would not feel myself, with a heart rate of 55-but you do.

It's when our "numbers" fluctuate wildly, or suddenly shoot up or down...that's when to become concerned, and your body will tell you immediately.

I wish you the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

My husband was recently diagnosed wsith a slow heart rate - ranging from 41-55. However he was on Atenolol (BP med), which also slows down the heart. His doc took him off the Atenolol and ordered the 24-hr halter monitor test, and also a stress test (whole day test, in 2 parts). Since he's been off the Atenolol his rate has improved greatly. It's now in the 60-70 range. But he needs to replace the Atenolol with a larger dose of Nifedimine to control the systolic BP, which rose after stopping Atenolol. He did the halter test on Feb. 5, but we don't yet have the result. Any idea how long it takes to get the result of that kind of test?

Oh, forgot to mention. Even while he was on Atenolol with the low heart rate, he too did not have any symptoms, but his regular internist said it was safer to come off Atenolol as even without symptoms, some peolple ''could'' pass out

I'm hoping he won't need a pacemaker, but I don't think he will as in his case the Atenolol seemed to have caused the problem.

Monte

Last edited by montesflus; 02-11-2009 at 11:11 PM.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

Thanks to both of you for your responses!
I do hope it's simply genetics - or maybe even part of my palpitations or something that is giving me funny numbers when my BP machine gives me my heartrate (although when I check manually, it's pretty close). I really don't worry when it's like 48, but when I see 41, that worries me I asked my husband what he would do if he were me and he made the astute observation that he would never know since he never checks his blood pressure I used to have highish BP, but it was mostly attributable to White Coat. My numbers are often really low now - 105/70. I sometimes wonder if my thyroid is not completely "up" or something, even though my numbers are technically in the range. My mothers dad did have a pacemaker, but nobody can seem to remember why. At any rate, I really appreciate the input. It's funny how I want to attribute my issues to some type of disease, when the truth of the matter is I feel really healthy for the first time in years. I've lost 60 pounds in the last few years, I can jog for 30 minutes at a time, I quit smoking, I rarely drink and now I seem to worry more about my health than I did when I was fat, smoking, drinking & pigging out. Ugh!

Oh - and I've heard the halter results can sometimes take a while. I'm not really sure why though.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

What accomplishments Zekat! I would encourage you to enjoy your new found health, sometimes we just "know too much" when we battle health issues...but you have done the work to overcome all these things. Good for you!

Closed Thread