It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
(female)

sportsfantb HB User
anteroseptal infarction?

what is an anteroseptal infarction?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: anteroseptal infarction?

Hi there,

An anteroseptal infarction refers to the specific area of the heart which has died because it did not receive bloodflow. Anteroseptal refers to the front of the heart above the wall (or septum) which divides the left side from the right side of the heart. The blood has three main arteries which supply the various regions of it. The anterior portion of the heart is supplied by the left anterior descending artery (LAD) and if it blocks off, the entire front portion of the heart can infarct leaving the patient with a serious amount of damaged heart which won't pump properly; however, often the large LAD won't block off, but one of its tributaries will. This is likely what happens in the case of someone who has an anteroseptal infarct.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
(female)

sportsfantb HB User

Thank you so much for the explanation! Do you know, is this something that can be treated with medication? Is surgery of some kind involved? I had a routine EKG and the finding was "Contour abnormality consistent with anteroseptal infarct, age unknown" I've been referred to a cardiologist, but can't get in for over a week and the not knowing is worrisome to say the least. Thank you!

Old 03-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfantb View Post
Thank you so much for the explanation! Do you know, is this something that can be treated with medication? Is surgery of some kind involved? I had a routine EKG and the finding was "Contour abnormality consistent with anteroseptal infarct, age unknown" I've been referred to a cardiologist, but can't get in for over a week and the not knowing is worrisome to say the least. Thank you!
Do you have diabetes?

The ECG suggests that you've had a small heart attack in the past that was either asymptomatic, or you had symptoms that were mild but the damage was done. The actual small heart attack can't be reversed; however, the cardiologist will do a number of investigations to assess your risk for this happening further, and then put you on medications to prevent this from happening again.

There are five major risk factors for heart attacks and they are:

High cholesterol
High blood pressure
Family history of someone with coronary artery disease <65 in female relatives and <60 in male relatives
Smoking
Diabetes.

Four of those five are modifiable with a healthy diet, exercise and of course medications. You will also probably have an echocardiogram done to assess your heart's pump function and a stress test to see the further burden of atherosclerotic coronary disease you have.

Given that you've already had a small heart attack, at the very minimum you'll be put on a beta-blocker and aspirin. Other medications you're put on depends on what they see after they've investigated you.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
(female)

sportsfantb HB User

I just wanted to thank you for all your helpful information! I was able to move up my appointment. The cardiologist did another EKG and again it showed some abnormalities. However, the ultra-sound showed that there was no damage and everthing is good! My blood pressure was a little high and they want to keep an eye on it, but otherwise, I'm good to go.(no, I don't have diabetes) Can't tell you how relieved I am! I really appreciate your help. Thanks again.

Closed Thread