It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
(female)

Carrrie66 HB User
do you really need medication if heart skips beats

do you really need medication if heart skips beats? My boyfreind is 51, has a good, strong heart, is active but takes a medication like a muscle relaxant, as he descirbed it, not sure what it is, but his heart skips beats sometimes. I'm worried that because I've heard skipped beats are normal, he is unneccesarily taking pills. It's not everyday he takes them, usually a half of one 2-3 times a week. I'm alos concerned what he's taking could mess with his heart. Would a doctor just prescribe something regardless if it was really necessary or not? Any help will be great here! Thanks! Carrie

Old 03-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Re: do you really need medication if heart skips beats

A very common treatment for heart palpitations is something called a beta blocker. In some ways it is kind of a relaxant - I've been told before it helps the heart to relax (or maybe the blood vessels). At any rate, beta blockers have been around for a long time, and taking them for skipped beats is a typical treatment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
(female)

Carrrie66 HB User
Re: do you really need medication if heart skips beats

That could be the medication he has. I am just worried (probably too much!!) that being that his heart is in great condition he could damage it in any way by taking these meds. And my mom was on heart meds and she gave me one of her pills when I was 12 to relax me before I went to bed. I found out later that could have really messed me up, scary thought! I myself have a strong healthy heart, but do get slight palpitations once in a while, usually lying down, Thanks for the info!

Closed Thread