It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009, 07:50 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

dolejaly HB User
HELP!!! My heart is going to jump out of my chest...

Over the past 8 months I would have issues once in awhile of waking up in the middle of the night w/ my heart just racing and flipping out accompanied by the feeling of what you would get when your on a roller coaster when your going down a big drop, like that falling feeling. I would also feel lightheaded and I am laying down as I said this would wake me up in the middle of the night. I didn't have a concern due to it wasn't all the time, but for the past 2 months it wasn't just happening through out the night I would get it when I felt tired and would lay down and then it would hit me again, the heart would race and I would feel tightening in my chest,not pain but tightening, it would also bring on headaches there after as well. I do have shortness of breath as well. If I was just sitting around watching t.v it would happen, there was nothing that directly triggered it. Now up until 5 days ago it got worse where it was happening through out the day at night several times through out a 24 hr period. I do have thyroid issues and am on synthroid for that. It was happening so much yesterday I thought it was best I contact the doctor, he had me come in and have it checked. Of course at that time my heart rate was 88, which to my understanding of a woman of 44 and only about 125 - 130 lbs is a little high but not bad, but again at that time it wasn't doing the usual hard flip flops as I was feeling. He requested lab work for many things, but what was weird is I have had lab work several times and I normally quit bleeding afterwards before I even walk out of the lab, but I had a long sleeve shirt on and didn't pay no attention to the cotton/bandage on my arm until 5 hrs later and went to remove it finding that it was fully soaked w/ blood, there wasn't a white spot on the cotton ball, which had never happened before. Also my blood pressure was perfect, which it normally is. I got my lab results this morning, all come back normal that everything looks good as far as that goes, which was "basic metabolic panel, CBC,PLATELETS & AUT DIFF- routine, TSH-routine"..I am scheduled to have what they call a 48 hour holter monitor placed on me tomorrow to check my heart constantly. I have never had heart issues before. Does anyone have any suggestion of what it could be and things to stay direct on my DR. so they don't blow things off. My mom has a heart condition, and to my knowledge most of my aunts died of heart attacks but unknown to what caused them. The DR did say "anxiety possibility" but because when I am just laying around doing nothing it flares up and hits me, that when laying down usually decreases it not causes it and can help if your up and you try laying down that it will start to decrease of anxiety, well my is the opposite of the normal anxiety. I have had some kind of like a burning sensation in my chest cavity, I feel like I am falling, my heart is out of control, a tightening in my chest, and a headache starts up. It feels like my heart at times is going to come out of my chest. I have had some tightening in my neck and left shoulder and high arm area, but never the full arm. Its not painful it is just annoying as heck. If I so much as walk up a set of stairs you would think I just ran 5 miles. Another issue I have been having and I don't know if this is connected or not is sweating, the sweat just pours down my face and even at night when I am sleeping I wake to my heart pounding and my head drenched along w/ I have this feeling in my ankles of like a rubber band is squeezing, I feel my legs and feet are swelled. I also take black cohosh to helps w/ the night/day sweats, but I am having no relief in it helping. Again this had gotten worse and on a daily bases in the past 5 days. I do drink coffee in the morning for about 2 hrs, but that is my only caffeine intake. I did try this morning to drink no coffee and same reaction happened. Beings the coffee intake is at 6a.m and some of these attacks have happened 16 hrs later I didn't think it was connected. So what ever it is had started out slowly and increased over time...Can anyone help in what to look for, suggestion, anything of information would be greatly appreciated......I am sitting here at the computer and i am light headed and all I am doing is typing and my heart is racing as I type.....I am going to try and lay down for about 20 minutes and see what happens next. Yesterday was bad I hope today is better, but so far no change.......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
(male)

jamescott HB User
Re: HELP!!! My heart is going to jump out of my chest...

I'm sorry to hear you are going through all this. However, you're doing the right thing by going directly to the doctor. Some choose to suffer the symptoms and have a greater fear of going to the doctor and finding out what's wrong. You made the right choice.

I can relate to your heart seemingly "flipping" at night. I have the same problem and it can be very scary. I wore a holter monitor for 24 hours and the doctor reported I have PVC's (basically an arrythmia) that are supposedly benign. Monday night the PVC's were so strong I couldn't sleep. Sometimes I have a hard time believing nothing is wrong, but my personal research shows many people suffer from the same issue. I also have high blood pressure and have been on various medicines for the past two months.

I would suggest you start keeping a journal of the symptoms you feel, what you were doing, if you ate or drank something specific, if something makes you feel better, etc. You'll be asked to keep a journal when you wear the holter monitor. You might also bring the journal to your doctor's office to take notes, right down a list of questions, etc.

I wish I had more answers for you, but hopefully my post will help you somewhat as you can see you're not alone. There are many other posters on the site who are kind, smart and willing to help where they can. It's a great resource.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

dolejaly HB User

Thank you for responding. I am hoping it all ends up that is nothing of a concern. What is weird is I done some research and the same symptoms I have been going through seems to come back possibility of a heart valve disease. Although I may carry all the signs I also know that it could just be nothing more than my heart skipping a beat and nothing to worry about, but it is still scary. My mom has a heart condition of Atrial Fibrillation which I don't know if that is something hereditary along w/ I was just informed that most of the deaths on my moms side of the family was from a heart attack, but my mom was unsure of what actually triggered it or if they had a heart condition prior, but 2 of my aunts were only 45 and 49 yrs of age when they passed away.....I've always been one that I never let sickness get me down and unless it was really severe I didn't bother w/ a doctor, but this does scare me...Again I really appreciate your input, it made me feel better...Thank you.......

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-23-2009 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Removed Quote from previous post, please use Quick Reply rather than Quote Reply

Old 03-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
(male)

jamescott HB User

Glad to be of help. Again, you're on the right path by going to the doctor. Please let us know how you are doing.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

dolejaly HB User

Well I finally got my test results from the 48hr. holter monitor...They said my heart beat has 1-2 extra and that is why I am feeling the way I do, they said I need to be on some beta-blocker(I yet to go and pick up my [prescription)....They told me stress could have caused this, but anyone that knows me has said the same thing if stress was a factor in this it would have happened a long time ago. I plan to make a DR. appt to speak w/ my concerns w/ my doctor on this issue. I have swelling of my feet, ankles and feel like there is a rubber band squeezing my ankle when there is nothing on my feet at all. Plus my stomach is swelled,. from the research I have done that all those symptoms could be related to a heart condition and valve issues. So I am not agreeing w/ my Dr. saying that it could be stress. I understand stress can cause a great deal of problems, but I just have this gut instinct that this isn't the case w/ my heart freaking out the way it does for no reason. It now seems to be consistent instead of episodes as it was before. I don't think it is serious, but I think there is more to the whole story, I plan to get a copy of the test results along w/ a copy of all my recent labs done and hopefully it will all make sense soon to me of everything I am going through.......

Old 03-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Zagreus HB User

I've been diagnosed with an arrhythmia as well and put on a beta blocker. It's been about a week and I've noticed some improvement. It will slow the heart a bit. Good luck, but be sure to talk to the doc about your other concerns.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

dolejaly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagreus View Post
I've been diagnosed with an arrhythmia as well and put on a beta blocker. It's been about a week and I've noticed some improvement. It will slow the heart a bit. Good luck, but be sure to talk to the doc about your other concerns.

Do the beta-blockers make you feel tired or drained in any way?...I don't want any medicine that is going to make me tired....

Old 11-22-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
(female)

Thumpness HB User
Question Re: HELP!!! My heart is going to jump out of my chest...

So what did you find out? I also for the last 3 months have had similar heart and head symptoms, but have been told they are benign. They are very, very annoying. I also have chest pressure but no pain.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:53 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

dolejaly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpness View Post
So what did you find out? I also for the last 3 months have had similar heart and head symptoms, but have been told they are benign. They are very, very annoying. I also have chest pressure but no pain.

Actually I didn't find out anything, I had an ultra sound of the heart and it seemed to come back fine, so they never done any further testing, I still go through the heart palpitations and all, but the only thing I can guess is maybe it is menopause as I see many people kind of describe the same thing that are going through that.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:59 AM   #10
(female)

mel8801 HB User

Hi Dolejaly

Are you seeing a cardiologist or a regular primary care Dr? I would think it best to see a cardiologist since they specialize in heart issues. I have been on beta blockers a number of years. I was on Atenolol for the same issues you are having now and it worked great and did not make me tired. I have since had MVP heart surgery and am now on Metoprolol for A Fib which seems to work very well but does make me tired. If I keep busy I am OK but if I set down to relax I tend to doze off for a few minutes then am fine again. I don't know which is worse..the tiredness or the wierd heartbeat...I think I will choose the tiredness....Also lay off of the caffine. Hope I was of some help...Have a Happy Thanksgiving and best of luck to you.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:12 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

dolejaly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel8801 View Post

Hi Dolejaly

Are you seeing a cardiologist or a regular primary care Dr? I would think it best to see a cardiologist since they specialize in heart issues. I have been on beta blockers a number of years. I was on Atenolol for the same issues you are having now and it worked great and did not make me tired. I have since had MVP heart surgery and am now on Metoprolol for A Fib which seems to work very well but does make me tired. If I keep busy I am OK but if I set down to relax I tend to doze off for a few minutes then am fine again. I don't know which is worse..the tiredness or the wierd heartbeat...I think I will choose the tiredness....Also lay off of the caffine. Hope I was of some help...Have a Happy Thanksgiving and best of luck to you.

Just a primary care dr. He didn't seem to concerned so I just kind of deal w/ it. Although heart conditions seem to run in my family more so w/ my mom and aunts/uncles, but due to my pain meds prolly just adding one more medicine would not be good, I am not for sure why the doctor isn't pushing further testing, sometimes his answers are always related to me getting older..

Old 12-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #12
(male)

sico HB User

I also have this. Beta bloka only makes my HB slower and therefor I can feel the skipped beats more.
When my HB is 80, I cannot feel the skipped beats. When it is 60 due to Beta Bloka, I feel them big time.

Closed Thread