It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
(male)

scott1965 HB User
Does everyone with atrial fib take blood thinners?

I use another medication for sexual dysfunction (trimix); which wouldn't work too well if I was diagnosed with A-Fib and the doctor prescribed Coumadin or another type of blood thinner.

Besides, my wife doesn't like the idea of going on blood thinners if it's not necessary. Does everyone who has A-Fibs or SVT's or PVC's HAVE to take blood thinners?

Old 05-10-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: Does everyone with atrial fib take blood thinners?

My mother is 84 years old and has had atrial fib since she was 23 and has never taken blood thinners. I have tachycardia and premature beats and take dixogin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2009, 06:46 AM   #3
(male)

scott1965 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel52 View Post
My mother is 84 years old and has had atrial fib since she was 23 and has never taken blood thinners. I have tachycardia and premature beats and take dixogin

Ok---that sounds a little more re-assuring.

What does the dixogin do?

Old 05-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

It reduced the many episodes of the rapid heart beats and that feeling like my heart was going to jump up out of my throat. Also that extra awareness of my heart beat. I also would have bradycardia, slow beat, and it would feel like my heart was beating really hard but slow. For me, it just evened things out. I don't know why all the other cardiologists didn't address it with meds. I suffered for years and had alot of fear

Old 05-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

I've been in a permanent state of AFib for over 20 years. Digoxin has kept it from causing tachycardia, but my left atrium is ALWAYS in a constant state of symptom-less fibrillation.

I've also been on Coumadin/Warfarin for over 20 years. My INR averages at a low level, around 1.5, whereas the optimum level is somewhere between 2-3. Mine is low because of my diet, which is rich in Vitamin K. It is my understanding that, Warfarin significantly reduces the risk of a blood clot, even at INR levels lower than 2.

Whether or not one choses to take Warfarin depends upon your clot-risk assessment and the level of risk you decide to take. I've been on Warfarin for over 20 years, and, for the most part, it hasn't given me any problems. To me, it is almost an innocuous medication. I welcome the added protection against clots that Warfarin provides.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 06-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
(female)

babag1 HB User

scott-i don't know how old you are or what, if anything, they have done to control or cure your atrial fib but, until they cure it possibly by an ablation, the coumadin or "other" blood thinner would be a preventive if your blood should clot as you could have a stoke and i am sure you would not want that. i will have my 3rd ablation for atrial fib soon as there is a lineup and i am on coumadin until then or perhaps forever (which i hope is a long time)-69yr old woman

Old 06-14-2009, 04:01 AM   #7
(male)

babette1 HB User

I have had afib with bradycardia for 18 years and have been on warfarin the entire time. After four years of fighting against doctors advice to get a pacemaker, I did so and it has made a tremendous difference for the better. I try to adjust my diet so that my INR stays between 2-3 so I get my boold checked monthly. I have had no ill effects from the warfarin and since I am very active, welcome the protection against possible stroke.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:56 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Connie122516 HB User

No, everyone with AFib does not have to take a blood thinner.

My elderly mother has had it for decades and takes only a baby aspirin every other day; the doc did say she would be better off on Coumadin but she can't take that because of other medical issues she has.

Something is working; she is almost 93.

Last edited by Connie122516; 06-14-2009 at 08:57 AM.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
(female)

babag1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1965 View Post
I use another medication for sexual dysfunction (trimix); which wouldn't work too well if I was diagnosed with A-Fib and the doctor prescribed Coumadin or another type of blood thinner.

Besides, my wife doesn't like the idea of going on blood thinners if it's not necessary. Does everyone who has A-Fibs or SVT's or PVC's HAVE to take blood thinners?

Old 09-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
(female)

babag1 HB User

i am suRe there are many people on blood thinners for whatever the reason. I have had 2 a fib ablations and both times have gone on bloodthinners as the a fib returNed both times. I am hoping with my upcoming 3rd ablation for a fib works and can once again go off coumadin.
I haven't had a salad in 6mos. As they don't want you eating much vitamin k. A salad once again would help my diet.
Taking coumadin for me wasn't bad. I just have dull knives in my kitchen. I have it tested usually once a month to keep it on the thin side and go with the amt. Of coumadin they tell me to. So far, it's been just right for months. Good luck.

Last edited by babag1; 09-22-2009 at 12:33 PM. Reason: SPELLING.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

Fizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB User

I have paroxymal afib and have been on Tikosyn and warfarin for several years. I've gotten so used to taking warfarin that I think nothing of it other than the monthly INR checks.

Closed Thread