It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2009, 06:39 AM   #1
(female)

linda 42 HB User
my mother has congestive heart failure her heart is only working at 23 percent how lo

my mother has congestive heart failure her heart is only working at 23 percent how long does she have?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2009, 07:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: my mother has congestive heart failure her heart is only working at 23 percent ho

I've had congestive heart failure for over 20 years. Up until 2004, I continued to get worse. Heart Failure is a progressive disease, in which most patient's health deteriorates over time, especially as they get elderly and their immune system weakens.

That said, starting in 2005 my Heart Failure and Health started getting significantly better due to four things, as follows:
  1. I started on a small calorie, small meal, frequent, balanced healthy diet.
  2. I avoided irritants and stimulants that irritate the heart and/or cause increases in blood pressure.
  3. I slowly increased my exercise, as tolerated.
  4. I worked with my cardiologist to make sure that I was taking the most effective medication.

Everyone is different, but........... Heart Failure can get better.

How is your mom's overall health? How bad are her symptoms? Is she able to get around...... do housework........ go to work...... go out to eat........ do exercise? Any leg, foot or ankle swelling? Is she constantly out of breath?

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 05-20-2009 at 09:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Fizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB User
Re: my mother has congestive heart failure her heart is only working at 23 percent ho

Linda:

I've had congestive heart failure at least since 1993, when I was hospitalized with it. I have an ejection fraction now of 20 - 25%.

So far, I live a very normal life and intend to keep doing so. It is difficult to predict mortality for this problem except on a very general basis.

Closed Thread