It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
(female)

Burton24 HB User
Exclamation Rapid heart beat in 9 year old daughter

Today while playing at a spray park my daughter came to me and said look at my chest. Her heart was beating so hard I could see it! She said she could also feel it in her throat. It lasted about 4 minutes then it stopped like a switch. Her resting heart rate now is 96. While playing after the episode it was 112. She said she felt fine the whole time. I didn't think to check her rate while it was happening. I was trying not to let on to her that I was scared! She does have a sniffly nose. Please post your thoughts.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
(male)

stophypertensio HB User
Re: Rapid heart beat in 9 year old daughter

you should see my heart after i jog 5 miles!

everytime someone engages in exercising, their pulse will shoot up and won't come down after some time, this is normal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton24 View Post
Today while playing at a spray park my daughter came to me and said look at my chest. Her heart was beating so hard I could see it! She said she could also feel it in her throat. It lasted about 4 minutes then it stopped like a switch.
Sounds like your daughter has some form of Paroxysmal Tachycardia. Paroxysmal refers to the sudden, fast onset, and Tachycardia refers to the fast heart beat. Mine used to come on as a result of cigarette smoke, even on someone's clothing. I assume that, at 9, your daughter doesn't smoke yet.

My Tachycardia came with strong fast heartbeats, or weak fast heartbeats. When strong, it was very noticeable to others, and you could actually see my chest, or my shirt jumping with the beat.

There are many other things or irritants that can cause Tachycardia, such as caffeine, interactions between medications and foods or drinks, medications, drugs, cold or asthma remedies, etc. Usually they aren't too dangerous, especially if they are infrequent, and go away on their own. If the tachycardia doesn't go away on it's own, then it is important to seek medical helping in getting the heart to go back to normal rhythm.

How often does this happen? Or...... was this the first time that you are aware of?

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 06-06-2009 at 06:54 AM.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
(female)

Jayhawk9 HB User

I would have it checked out. A friend of ours that is 11 just found that she has SVT and described some of the symptoms your child has had. She has also had bad headaches due to the rapid pumping of blood if that helps to know this.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:03 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

YOur little one might have a case of SVT. Supra Ventricular Tachycardia. Also referred to as PSVT. More frightening than dangerous, but she needs to be seen by a PEDIATRIC cardiologist. The symptoms you describe are spot on. If you had tried to take her heart rate during the episode, you wouldn't have been able to count it. Because kids' heart rates are higher than adults' their SVT episodes run a lot faster.

SVT is so weird like that. You can be enjoying a lifetime of good health and BAM! You can crop up with SVT out of the clear blue. 2 year olds, 10 year olds, 30 year olds 60 year olds. It doesn't matter. The cardiologist will do a holter monitor most likely, to see if it can catch an episode and record it. They will also do an EKG just to see what's what. All painless, non-fussy procedures. Make a journal to track how frequent and how long lasting the episodes are, so you are prepared for the MD.

Also, if it takes forever to get an appointment with a decent pediatric cardiologist, there are a few tricks you can do while you wait. If she is having an episode, stand her on her head! Truly, I'm not kidding. Or, you can have her bear down on her midsection really hard as if she were trying to push out a stubborn bowel movement. Or, you can fill a sink with freezing water and ice cubes and have her dunk her face and head in. I know this sounds nuts, but these can be very effective tricks in a pinch.

Good luck and hang in there.

Closed Thread