HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Heart Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/)
-   -   Dizziness/lightheadedness with PVC's/SVT's-how do you manage? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/701460-dizziness-lightheadedness-pvcs-svts-how-do-you-manage.html)

scott1965 07-01-2009 05:21 AM

Dizziness/lightheadedness with PVC's/SVT's-how do you manage?

I've been diagnosed with both PVC's and SVT's. I had the nuclear stress test done, and the doctor/cardiologist found nothing wrong. He prescribed the usual beta blocker for me (metroprolol).

I've been doing pretty good lately, until this morning when a wave of dizziness/lightheadedness came out of nowhere. I've been getting more exercise (working out in the morning--cardio, etc), so I've been feeling good. I haven't really had any spells in almost a week.

How does everyone else manage the dizzy spells? They scare me; even though the doctors say there's nothing wrong. I'm always afraid that I'll have one behind the wheel of my car or something.

dlindquist83 07-14-2009 02:26 AM

Re: Dizziness/lightheadedness with PVC's/SVT's-how do you manage?

I have PVCs and I get the dizzy spells randomly. I asked the doctor about this and she blames it on anxiety from the PVCs scaring me. I agree I have developed what I think is anxiety from it but I am not sure what to do either. I take 10mg propranolol daily and it really doesnt do anything except make my blood pressure low (107/67) and heart rate slows down to 70s BUT PVCs still continue as usual. I cant even sleep anymore without sleeping medication because I lay there and feel my heart pound out of my chest.

scott1965 07-14-2009 07:57 AM

I take the 50mg metoprolol and I've started an exercise program that I do every morning. The symptoms have decreased since I started exercising, so that's encouraging. I still get them, but they're random and not as severe. Usually, if I cough, I can stop the dizzy spell.

It's just something that I have to live with, I guess. The doctor did say that he could step up the dosage if I want him to. I think I'll stick with the 50mg/day for right now, though.

eirrac 07-31-2009 01:07 PM

Dizziness, fatigue, weakness, and heartburn are common side effects of beta blockers. I suffer from vertigo, tiredness, and acid reflux, and my doctor now wants me to take metoprolol (beta blocker) for newly-diagnosed PVCs. I don't need to have more tiredness, dizziness, and acid reflux than I already have, so am unsure whether to take the metoprolol or not.

jamescott 08-11-2009 09:28 PM

I haven't ever experienced dizziness so I'm thankful. I have been having PVCs for almost 10 months now. I guess I'm getting used to dealing with it. My advice would be to continue your exercise program and report anything unusual to your doctor. I can tell you Metoprolol wasn't for me. I had to switch to a calcium channel blocker instead.

One thing I'd like to ask others is I often feel like I have to cough when my PVCs are really acting up. It's similar to when you go outside on a cold day and you take your first deep breath. It isn't a deep cough. Rather it's a single cough that feels like it begins in my throat at the base of my neck. I wonder if it's pressure building up and then released when the PVC happens? My doctor doesn't really ever say anything about. He just shakes his head and tells me not to worry about. Can anyone else here relate?

eirrac 08-13-2009 07:05 AM

Hi,

Yes, I get the tickly cough too! It's one of the things that tells me my PVCs are more frequent. I also have a tickly cough from sinus, though, so I get it a lot. But the PVC tickle is at the base of my throat, just as you describe. I've talked to others who have this. It's annoying, and I have to cough every little while when my PVCs are acting up, usually about an hour after eating my evening meal. A few hours later, it's gone. (Although I still deal with the sinus thing/cough. I' haven't been taking my usual Sudafed since the PVCs started, because it makes them worse.) And I've stopped Claritin since reading somewhere that there is some speculation now that allergy meds like it can cause reflux, which I'm also dealing with.

jamescott 08-17-2009 09:33 AM

Well, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with the cough. I can also relate to the timing...they are always worse right after dinner. It doesn't seem to matter if I eat a heavy meal, light, drink alcohol or not, or if it's spicey or bland. My PVCs always hit. Also when I first lay down to fall asleep. So strange.

NancyH 08-30-2009 05:44 PM

My dr always told me when I was having then to "cough" or strain like you are going poop! It works for awhile, and lately I've been so uptight about them I slug myself in the chest and that works to but the chest bone gets sore so I don't recommend that one. Any of you folks with PVC's have mitral valve prolapse? It causes PVC's as well as panic and anxiety. I was diagnosed 30yrs ago so just wondering if anyone else has it.

scott1965 08-31-2009 03:03 AM

The doctor did a nuclear stress test on me and found nothing wrong. Normal blood flow through the heart, he did an EKG and found nothing wrong there as well. Both he and the cardiologist both felt that my heart was "normal" except for the PVC's and SVT's. He never mentioned anything about having mitral valve prolapse.

I seem to get the PVC's more than anything, I think. I haven't had an SVT episode for awhile now (thank God).

My doc told me the same thing---bear down like you're going to have a bowel movement. There's some sort of massage you can do underneath your neck, too---but I don't know how to do it.

john_in_nc 10-05-2009 04:12 PM

My cardiologist has me split my Metropolol in half and take half in the morning and half in the evening.
I got pvcs constantly, they are terrible.