It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
(female)

Galena1022 HB User
Accelerated heart rate

I am a 46 year old female and my heart rate is accelerated at all times. I can be laying down and have a heart rate of 115 bpm and with the slightest exertion (carrying a small basket of clothes up 6 stairs) it can go up to 150 bpm. I had a stress ECHO last Friday and within 3 minutes of just walking with no incline it was all the way up to 156 and with a slight incline and still just walking it was at 173 by the 5 minute mark. I purchased a heart rate monitor (watch) from the local fitness store and am wearing it most of the time just to try and track what causes it to rise and fall. For the most part the lowest it has been in the past week was 99 for a split second before it jumped back up to 115.

Any clues to what this might be? The stress test showed that my heart is fine but there is fluid in my lungs so I am having a CT scan with contrast later today to see what that is all about. Needless to say this seems to be taking over my life because I am afraid of something really major happening.

Thanks in advance for any ideas that you may be able to pass my way.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
(female)

Jcoope28 HB User
Re: Accelerated heart rate

Innapropriate sinus tachycardia. I have it. That is exactly how it presents itself and all your tests will come back normal. It is not fatal and just more of a nuisance than anything. The Dr. can give you a beta blocker which will help wonderfully with it. I can suggest one that does not have to many side effects is Acebutolol. Also Bystolic is a good one and doesnt make you drowsy. It is better off to take a pill to slow it down because otherwise the heart muscle never gets a chance to rest and can possibly lead to heart failure if allowed to continue for months and years untreated. Good Luck and feel free to email me with any questions. I have been through many many tests for the same thing.
Jenn C.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2009, 05:09 AM   #3
(female)

Galena1022 HB User
Re: Accelerated heart rate

Well thank you for responding to my post. Since I wrote that I have found that I have a 3" x 1" pericardial cyst and not fluid in the lungs. I was referred to Mayo Clinic by the cardiologist in my area since he had never seen one this large. Mayo Clinic said it is nothing to worry about and they believe that surgery would be riskier than not having surgery to remove it. So they have put me on a low dose beta blocker to help with the heart rate and the slightly elevated blood pressure and I seem to be doing fine. I will be returning to Mayo in January or February of next year to have them take another ultra sound to see if the cyst has increased, decreased or stayed the same size. So now it is just going to be a waiting game until I am re-evaluated.

Closed Thread