It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
(female)

jumage HB User
Go off of Plavix? Aspirin dose?

My husband has coronary artery disease. He had 3 stents put in almost 6 years ago, and a 4th stent put in last year. The first 3 were bare metal stents and the 4th a drug eluding stent. This past February he had a brief episode where his left arm dropped to his side and he couldn't raise it above a certain point. He went to ER suspecting it might be a stroke but it was a tiny brain bleed. By the time the diagnosis was made (within a few hours) it had already sealed itself and the symptoms were gone. Further tests revealed it had shrunk and 4 weeks later tests showed it almost gone/dried up. Now it's almost a year since the 4th stent was put in and in 2 weeks he's scheduled for a neuclear stress test. If it shows all is well with the stents, his doctors intend to have him stop taking Plavix, also decreas his daily aspirin intake from a regular one (325) to a baby aspirin. His stents have remained clear and, other than the tiny brain bleed (which may have been totally unrelated) he's doing well and feeling so healthy. So, we're very hesitant and concerned about going off of the Plavix, also decreasing the aspirin dosage. Any knowledge and experience with this to share from anyone here?

Old 07-27-2009, 12:43 AM   #2
(female)

judyumcer HB User
Re: Go off of Plavix? Aspirin dose?

Are you kidding? Stop taking plavix with heart stents? You can't stop the plavix. You are on it for life. Get another opinion!

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-27-2009 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Removed quote of the immediately preceding post

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
(female)

gerrisue HB User

I have stents also no heart attack. take plavix and ecotrin daily. doctor took me off plavix and now i am having trouble with stomach could be aspirin,. or it was plavix took it for over a year. but now this problem. just stopped the plavix last week and had a blood test today to see what is wrong with stomach. for some reason i feel it was the plavix and aspirin. or maybe just aspirin. but have very bad stomach ache. up hight right under chest, i just found out today the aorta is there. but they dont think thats it,. ok does anyone else have this problem. stomach ache is 2 weeks old. stopped plavix 7 days ago

Old 01-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
(female)

jaguar63122 HB User

I am 41 year old female and have been off plavix for over 2 years now. Dr. suggested it and I was scared at first, but now I am so glad that I did. I was sooo tired of being bruised from head to toe. I still take a full asprin a day. Dr. said I could switch to baby asprin..but for my own piece of mind I stayed on regular.

My Dr. told me if I was still smoking, overweight, and chol. high...he would keep me on plavix. But my total chol was under 100..I was not overweight and I had quit smoking for over a year. I had planned to just stay on plavix after reading everything you read, but I had to be admitted into the Hospital after massive bleeding (female). They had to take me off plavix to stop the bleeding and I couldn't go back on for over a month...after that long I went to 1/2 a day and then tapered to 0.

Best of Luck...jag

Old 07-27-2010, 12:07 AM   #5
(male)

SpicyT9 HB User

the half life of Plavix and aspirin also are such that doctors ask patients to stop taking aspirin at least 7 to 10 days before any surgical procedure ; and 5 days for Plavix

Old 08-07-2010, 04:27 AM   #6
(male)

fallenhump HB User

In the begining of this year, my Doctor took me off Plavix and on the twenty sixth of May I woke at 3 AM with chest pains, shortness of breath, and sweating. Went to the ER and the Doc tried to put a stent in, could not, so just had angioplasty and all is well. Of course I was put back on the Plavix and went from one regular asprin to two baby asprin. I have two stents and this was my second angioplasty.

Last edited by fallenhump; 08-07-2010 at 04:29 AM.

Closed Thread