It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2009, 04:01 AM   #1
(female)

Leelou77 HB User
Slightly enlarged heart

Hi, I'm new here, but thought I might get some piece of mind
Apologies if I go on abit but here goes, I'm 32 years old and admit I am overweight, I went to see my doctor as I'd had a bit of a cough with bouts of breathless. My doctor thought it might be my asthma returning after 10 years, but sent me for a chest x-ray to check for any underlying causes. Anway I got home on thursday night to a letter from my doctors saying thr x-ray showed my lungs were fine, but it showed my heart was slightly enlarged and that I was booked in for an echocardiogram for a week on tuesday. But now i'm worried about what this means, should I be too worried? I have to admit the breathlessness isn't easing much, even with the inhalers. Any advice good or bad, would be appreciated thanks x

Old 07-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
(male)

Cowpin8 HB User
Re: Slightly enlarged heart

Dont get worried. That will just increase your anxiety symptoms. I am a 40-year old male and an avid weight-lifter. I have an enlarged heart also. What I have is called Left Ventricular Hypertrophy. It is probably due to my weight-lifting. In your case, being overweight can cause high blood pressure which in turn makes the heart work harder to pump blood and in turn can thicken or enlarge the Left Ventricle. You are young, BUT, there are Blood Pressure medications that help lower your BP which can reverse the heart thickening. If they thought it was severe I believe they would have ordered a Cardiac CT Scan instead of a Echo Test. I have had both tests in the last 5 months. An Echo Test is not as accurate as a Cardiac CT Scan. My Echo Test came back with extreme thickness of the heart, so I then went for a Cardiac CT Scan which showed that the Echo Test was way off. I have Borderline LVH. It is 1-2 mm. thicker than normal. Stay calm until you get the results. If you can, go for the Cardiac CT Scan. It is the Gold Standard of Heart Disease tests. It will give you Peace of Mind. Good Luck and let us know what happens.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
(female)

Leelou77 HB User

Thanks a lot for your reply Cowpin, I know I am trying not to get too stressed about it. Do you have to take any medication or anything? Regarding the test, I haven't really had much input into what tests i'm having, I haven't spoke to my doctor since I got the letter, I've got to go and see him once I've had the Echo. Regarding the issue about me being overweight, I have been trying to lose weight, but seem to be struggling since the symptoms started, but hey will keep at it. Not sure if you can help and not sure if this sounds stupid, but am I still ok to go to the gym whilst this is going on? Thanks again for your reply and will write on here as soon as I know anything, I'm sure it won't be as bad as I'm imagining .

Old 07-19-2009, 11:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpin8 View Post
I am a 40-year old male and an avid weight-lifter. I have an enlarged heart also.
But isn't athlete's enlarged heart expected and not usually dangerous (the heart grows stronger due to exercise, but has time to rest when not doing exercise; however, in rare cases, the growth is abnormal and sometimes leads to sudden cardiac arrest in young athletes), in contrast to enlarged heart due to high blood pressure (the heart grows, but it is constantly being strained and has no time to rest and eventually "wears out" and becomes weaker)?

To the original poster: ask your doctor if your condition has any limitations on (increasing) exercise or if you should ramp up exercise more gradually than usual. If you can (increase) exercise, that likely will help you lose body fat and lower blood pressure.

Last edited by tjlhb; 07-19-2009 at 11:13 PM.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:31 AM   #5
(female)

Leelou77 HB User

Thanks tjlhb, I will ask the doctor when I see him, but not seeing him till 4th Aug, and want to go this week. I'll go but will take it easy. Thanks again

The Following User Says Thank You to Leelou77 For This Useful Post:
anjeweleyez01 (10-10-2012)
Old 07-22-2009, 07:55 PM   #6
(male)

GodHand HB User

My LV dimensions were 5.6cm diastolic, and my cardiologist said 5.4cm is the maximum. He said my heart is very minimally enlarged, but also said it's not infrequent. On the contrary, I read on the cardiolography association's journal that 5.9cm is now considered the maximum amount, which puts me in the normal range. Every doctor I've seen has not been worried about it, as my ejection fraction is in the 60-65% range every time, and I'm 27.

I do suffer from PVCs that are benign, as my father has them, too. I get them for 2 weeks at a time (sometimes a few days more), then they will go away completely for 6+ months so the doctor refused to put me on medication for it saying to just live with it. He claims it's from anxiety (also diagnosed with anxiety and OCD.

I was told I didn't have to return to my Cardiologist unless things got unbearable with the PVCs. He did 2 echos and my family doctor did numerous EKGs with Holter, etc. All normal minus this ambiguous "minimal enlargement."

I'm not worried about it. I run 5 miles per day fine, and I am not short of breath unless I have a panic attack or my anxiety gets extremely high. No loss in activity or excessive tiredness, either.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
(female)

Leelou77 HB User

Thanks godhand, sorry to sound dim, but what exactly are PVCs? Thanks

Old 07-26-2009, 06:22 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User

My husband's echoes and CT scans were always off, by at least .7 cm. Research I did showed that a slightly enlarged heart will alter the results of an echo. I found it very interesting that someone else had this same experience. He went through a lot of needless worry, like the poster here did.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
(female)

Leelou77 HB User

Hi LInda

Did they say what caused the enlarged heart? Did he suffer any effects from it? How is he now?

Thanks

Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1652 View Post
My husband's echoes and CT scans were always off, by at least .7 cm. Research I did showed that a slightly enlarged heart will alter the results of an echo. I found it very interesting that someone else had this same experience. He went through a lot of needless worry, like the poster here did.

Last edited by Leelou77; 07-26-2009 at 01:22 PM.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:36 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User

His cardiologist has NEVER said a word about his slightly enlarged heart. The reason we know is because Dave requested a copy of his MRI report. Dave has jogged for 35 years, so that is probably the reason for it. It hasn't caused him any problems. It just messes up his echo accuracy.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:40 PM   #11
(female)

Leelou77 HB User

Thanks Linda, hopefully mine'll come back ok. I'm more concerned with the breathlessness, but hopefully get some answers over the next week or so ta lisa

Old 07-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #12
(male)

Gojoe HB UserGojoe HB User

The main thing is to find out why your heart has enlarged, even if it is only a small amount, and to find out how well it is pumping. My heart enlarged from high blood pressure and was pumping poorly. Hope thinsg check out ok.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #13
(female)

Leelou77 HB User

Thanks Gojoe, have things been sorted with u?

I'm going to try and get some answers tomorrow

Thanks again

Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojoe View Post
The main thing is to find out why your heart has enlarged, even if it is only a small amount, and to find out how well it is pumping. My heart enlarged from high blood pressure and was pumping poorly. Hope thinsg check out ok.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #14
(male)

acs123 HB User

HI ...
I hope things get fine ur way ...
Can it get normal as same is problem with me in the left side..

acs

Closed Thread