It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #1
(male)

mike-s HB User
Furosemide Diuretic

I was recently diagnosed with congestive heart failure, idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy and arterial stenosis of my left leg. I'm currently taking furosemide, lisinopril and an 81mg aspirin along with CoQ10 and a few other supplements; coreg was dropped at least for now. For some reason the furosemide doesn't seem to be working the way it should at times almost like the pills are placebo pills. Has this happened to anyone else and if so what did you do about it? I also take metformin for T2 diabetes which can lower the effectiveness of furosemide but I've been waiting a few hours after taking furosemide before I take the metformin. Thank you for any help! Mike-S

Old 08-16-2009, 12:48 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Furosemide Diuretic

It could be that the Furosemide dosage is not high enough, to work effectively.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2009, 06:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-s View Post
I was recently diagnosed with congestive heart failure, idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy and arterial stenosis of my left leg.
Did you have any warning signs before your diagnosis of heart failure? Breathing problems? Heart palpitations? Weakness? Fatigue? What kind of symptoms caused you to seek medical help?

Quote:
I'm currently taking furosemide, lisinopril and an 81mg aspirin along with CoQ10 and a few other supplements; coreg was dropped at least for now
If you don't mind me asking, why was the Coreg dropped? It is the most powerful med for treating and improving Heart Failure, IMHO. Personally, it has helped me to recover from Heart Failure and has improved the quality of my life.

Quote:
For some reason the furosemide doesn't seem to be working the way it should at times almost like the pills are placebo pills. Has this happened to anyone else and if so what did you do about it?
Why do you think that the furosemide is not working? What is it not doing?

Quote:
I also take metformin for T2 diabetes which can lower the effectiveness of furosemide but I've been waiting a few hours after taking furosemide before I take the metformin. Thank you for any help! Mike-S
The first step to recover from Heart Failure is through diet. When the body mishandles the processing of Insulin, it causes damage to ALL organs of the body, including the heart, kidneys, thyroid, nerves, etc.

Have you modified your diet to deal with the Heart Failure and the Diabetes?

Has your doctor put you on an exercise program?

At any rate, I hope that you do well and recover quickly from your health problems.

Take care..........

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 08-16-2009 at 07:48 AM.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
(male)

mike-s HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by writeleft View Post
It could be that the Furosemide dosage is not high enough, to work effectively.
I'll check with the doctor about upping the dosage. The furosemide seems to be working well today; I took the furosemide by itself with a small amount of food and it has been working as it should. Thank you! Mike

Old 08-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
(male)

mike-s HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
Did you have any warning signs before your diagnosis of heart failure? Breathing problems? Heart palpitations? Weakness? Fatigue? What kind of symptoms caused you to seek medical help?

If you don't mind me asking, why was the Coreg dropped? It is the most powerful med for treating and improving Heart Failure, IMHO. Personally, it has helped me to recover from Heart Failure and has improved the quality of my life.

Why do you think that the furosemide is not working? What is it not doing?

The first step to recover from Heart Failure is through diet. When the body mishandles the processing of Insulin, it causes damage to ALL organs of the body, including the heart, kidneys, thyroid, nerves, etc.

Have you modified your diet to deal with the Heart Failure and the Diabetes?

Has your doctor put you on an exercise program?

At any rate, I hope that you do well and recover quickly from your health problems.

Take care..........

The warning signs I had were the very beginnings of shortness of breath which I thought was from the heat and humidity and the bronchitis, I have a lot of problems with the heat and humidity even without CHF. The path to CHF started on 5-31-2009 with an E/R visit for acute bronchitis; the shortness of breath and my getting blown away doing almost anything gradually worsened until another E/R visit and a four day hospital stay for CHF from 6-11-2009 to 6-14-2009. I had tests done on 7-2-2009 that determined I didn't have artery blockages but I did have dilated cardiomyopathy. About a week ago I had another E/R visit for what seemed like a mild concussion and right arm shaking (causes unknown).

I'm not sure why the Coreg was dropped although I told the doctor I couldn't afford it and he seemed to already have decided to take me off of it.

Furosemide not working: Some days the urine output seems to be drastically reduced during the day with during the night wakeups for trips to the bathroom; other days the urine output is way up for about 8 hours after taking the furosemide. I drink over a liter of water daily and I am going to start measuring the furosemide output to gauge exactly how much there is.

Diet: I'm on a fairly restricted diet for type 2 diabetes with bananas added now and then for potassium.

Exercise: I walk the dog for most of my exercise needs but I've never been given an exercise plan for the CHF; a home health care nurse seemed to be fine with my walking the dog for exercise.

Thank you! Mike

Last edited by mike-s; 08-16-2009 at 04:09 PM.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:53 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-s View Post
The warning signs I had were the very beginnings of shortness of breath which I thought was from the heat and humidity and the bronchitis, I have a lot of problems with the heat and humidity even without CHF.
Heart Failure and Diabetes/Pre-Diabetes/Insulin Resistance both cause shortness of breath and problems with heat and humidity.

Quote:
I had tests done on 7-2-2009 that determined I didn't have artery blockages but I did have dilated cardiomyopathy.
I also have no blockages. I have had a dilated left atrial for over 20 years, with some valve problems and some thickening of my left ventricle and septum. My symptoms really got dramatically worse during 2003-2004, until I went on a strict diet. Since then I've improved quite a bit.

Quote:
I'm not sure why the Coreg was dropped although I told the doctor I couldn't afford it and he seemed to already have decided to take me off of it.
The generic for Coreg, Carvedilol is readily available for $10 for a three months supply, without health insurance. I've gotten it through Walmart. I think that it is the most effective medication for heart failure. I would fire my Cardiologist if he ever tried to get me off of it!

Furosemide is also readily available for $10 for a three months supply.

Quote:
Furosemide not working: Some days the urine output seems to be drastically reduced during the day with during the night wakeups for trips to the bathroom; other days the urine output is way up for about 8 hours after taking the furosemide. I drink over a liter of water daily and I am going to start measuring the furosemide output to gauge exactly how much there is.
We've had difference experience with Furosemide. When I used to take it, I never noticed if it caused any extra trips to the bathroom. I did notice that, if I took too much of it, it caused increased breathing and heart rate problems.

Quote:
Diet: I'm on a fairly restricted diet for type 2 diabetes with bananas added now and then for potassium.
A healthy, appropriate diet is the best "medication" one can take for both Heart Failure and Diabetes. Sounds like you are off to a good start!

Quote:
Exercise: I walk the dog for most of my exercise needs but I've never been given an exercise plan for the CHF; a home health care nurse seemed to be fine with my walking the dog for exercise.

Thank you! Mike
At the beginning of my heart failure problems, it was difficult getting out of bed. I was very weak and fatigued. The slightest effort could give me breathing problems, chest pains and an erratic heart rate for days.

Now...... 20 years later, I am doing at least 150 pushups, 400 steppers; 300 curls and 240 lifts (with 10 pound weights); and a one hour power walk each day. I now view my heart failure more as an inconvenience rather than a health problem.

Best of luck to you with your health in the future. Take care..........

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 08-18-2009 at 09:13 AM.

Closed Thread