It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
(female)

Friffle HB User
Question Survive a heart attack without medical treatment?

Can a person have a heart attack and survive without having medical treatment?

I'm sure this sounds crazy, but when I was 23 I had been running on a treadmill and as I was finishing and cooling down, started to have dull, achy, crushing chest pain that quickly spread to my neck and left arm. It was painful enough that I was laying on the floor until it was over. I thought that I should call 911, but I thought that there was no way anyone would believe that a 23 year girl would have serious enough chest pain to go to the ER. I felt really sick and nauseous and weak and tired after I finally made my way back to my apartment. I thought that maybe I should just drive myself to the hospital, but I didn't think I felt well enough to drive, so I just got in bed and slept several hours. It was the next day when I woke up and I was still weak and tired, but again I thought that if I were to go to the doctor, they wouldn't believe me because of my age. I felt really crappy for a few days and avoided the treadmill and went on with life as usual.

What do you think happened? Heart attack? Just some kind of panic attack or other harmless thing?

Old 09-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Survive a heart attack without medical treatment?

Hi friffle,

I would make an appointment for an EKG. The EKG will show a heart attack, even years after it happens. By the way, how long ago was this episode? People do have heart attacks, and get no medical care, but that is not optimal, by far. I would see adoctor now, because if you did suffer heart damage, you need to know about it. I wish you the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
(female)

Friffle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by writeleft View Post
Hi friffle,

I would make an appointment for an EKG. The EKG will show a heart attack, even years after it happens. By the way, how long ago was this episode? People do have heart attacks, and get no medical care, but that is not optimal, by far. I would see adoctor now, because if you did suffer heart damage, you need to know about it. I wish you the best.
It was about 11 years ago. I've had some similar but much more mild chest pain several times over the years. I have gone to the Dr for the more recent and more mild pain, but they tell me it's heartburn. I do have acid reflux, but this not the same kind of pain for me as when I am having an acid reflux flare up. A few years ago I told one Dr about the episode I had, but he said it was either heartburn or stress. I don't know what it was but it has always worried me. My father died from a heart attack at 53 and his father wasn't much older when he died from one and many of my dad's relatives have had heart attacks, but no females that I know of. I also have a heart murmur that the Dr says is not serious or a concern. I knew about that before the episode.

Since it has been so long, would it show up on the EKG now? If so, how would I convince my Doctor that I need one?

Last edited by Friffle; 09-17-2009 at 01:24 PM.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I had my first heart attack at 42... I know it shows for at least 7 years, because mine still shows up.

I would ask him to consider your family history, and explain that you are predisposed to heart attack. Perhaps he could refer you to a cardiologist for an exam. Women are not free from heart issues. Prevention is the best medicine, and your own concerns should be reason enough for your doctor to refer you on. Let the cardiologist make the diagnosis, that's his/her specialty.

Closed Thread