It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
Ablation procedure for atrial Fibrillation

I'd appreciate any responses of anyone who has had the Ablation Procedure for chronic Atrial Fibrillation.

Anyone know if this is possible for a active woman in her 70's .
I'm wondering if this would be best or a Pace Maker.

Cardiologist prescribed Coumadin this week.
I've been reading about the Ablation Procedure, which i am not familiar with.
Any comment appreciated.

Live Life well
BeHappy2

Old 09-22-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
(female)

ainteasybeingme HB User
Re: Ablation procedure for atrial Fibrillation

Hey there-- I did have an abalation procedure for my atrial fib and skipped heartbeats. Before the procedure they do an EP study to map the area affected and that is the area they ablate. Unfortunately for me --they could not map the area because they could not get my heart to skip or race (although it plagues me all the time but not when it needs to haha). I did have a bleed afterward which was quickly controlled and with no lifting or bending over for a few weeks the recovery was very easy. I think it is a generally safe procedure and know a few others who have successfully had it done and it changed their lives!! Take care and good luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
(female)

babag1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeHappy2 View Post
I'd appreciate any responses of anyone who has had the Ablation Procedure for chronic Atrial Fibrillation.

Any comment appreciated.

Live Life well
BeHappy2

Old 09-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
(female)

babag1 HB User

I sure do know about what you may be going thru. I had my first ablation in 2003, 2nd one in 2005 and now in a few weeks, i will be having my 3rd one. I hope this will be my last one.
I am 69 yrs old and am also on coumadin and rhythmol until my scheduled operation onf 10/16 at the u. Of michigan hospt.
It is not a bad procedure and can tell u all about it. It's only usually an overnite stay. Don't know what your case will be but i never needed a pacemaker.
It would be nice to once again get off both meds. As coumadin usually needs atleast a once a month bloodtest to keep it in range.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
(male)

itawes HB User

I had two procedures, one for the right side and a second one for the left side. They run the ablation instrument through the groin artery. On the second procedure, I had a slight issue with bleeding after the procedure but just a minor hiccup and had to wait longer than expected. Overnight hospital stay is normal although I did not stay overnight for the second procedure so maybe that was the reason for the bleeding. Only pain was at the start when they made an incision for the ablation instrument in my groin. This can be minimized by asking for heavier sedation and you kinda fall asleep for this brief period.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #6
(female)

babag1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeHappy2 View Post

Any comment appreciated.

Live Life well
BeHappy2
i just had my 3rd ablation for atrial fib and flutter. sometimes when they ablate, the nerve is cut and should heal over but...sometimes the nerve grows back as so the fib/flutters return as in my case. i have been on coumadin several times and also rhythmn meds. sometimes meds don't work but since 2003 they have new ones. i have had this since 2003 as far as i know and i have all the bad symtoms weakness, breathless, fatigue, and a irratic heartbeat. it is always great for me to have an ablation.
occasionally someone that has an ablation to cure these irregular beats, it might be possible to have a pacemaker in the end of a "procedure" but not in my case. i am a woman 69 1/2. i have great electrophysiologists in michigan at the u. of m.
i think atrial fib (faster than 300 bpm) and atrial flutter (slower but still very fast) are the most common rhythm problems with the heart but less problamatic then others. because i just had my ablation, i am on coumadin (blood thinner) for a 3 mo period until my next appt. shows my heart is in normal rhythm and the ablations have healed over. as far as how many of these procedure a person can have? as long as your health is stable, the drs. say as many as you want to have.
thank god for health insurance. if i can tell you more, ask away.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
(female)

babag1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainteasybeingme View Post
Hey there-- I did have an abalation procedure for my atrial fib and skipped heartbeats. Before the procedure they do an EP study to map the area affected and that is the area they ablate. Unfortunately for me --they could not map the area because they could not get my heart to skip or race (although it plagues me all the time but not when it needs to haha). I did have a bleed afterward which was quickly controlled and with no lifting or bending over for a few weeks the recovery was very easy. I think it is a generally safe procedure and know a few others who have successfully had it done and it changed their lives!! Take care and good luck to you!
things have changed since my first ablation procedure in 2003. just this month the electrophysiologist drs.and nurses removed the meds i was on in about a 3 week period to no drugs the day of my procedure. you say they couldn't make your heart do what they wanted it to do? without my drugs, it put me back in atrial fib and flutter two days before the procedure that i waited to have for a 6mos wait. drs. are busy. so when i went into the hospt. i was in a wheelchair breathless and when it was done, i walked out of the hospt. on my own. great...

Closed Thread