It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 02:12 AM   #1
(male)

Jodac HB User
Heart arrhythmia

Hello,

I have been getting strange heart-beats for a about a year now. I check my pulse and i find every 30 -40 secs or my heart will suddenly give off a really strong beat that seems to echo through my torso.... It's like my heart just... BURBED or something....

There's no pain nor do i feel light-headed and i don't notice it when i exercise (then again my heartrate is usually pounding from a sprint anyways) Other than being an annoyance it doesnt seem to be a problem.

I am 20 years old turning 21 and this condition is keeping me awake at night! i'd be almost asleep then all of a sudden i feel this tremor through my torso! It's very odd but i think my throat takes the blunt of it. (Perhaps its artery being so close to my throat..)

It seems to affect the right side of my wind pipe the most.

At first i thought it was nothing but eventually i went to see my doctor but it's like taking your car to the mechanics... everything was fine in front of the doctor for some reason and my heart beat was fine, it happens randomly!

My doctor told me it could be perhaps too much caffeine or too much stress, which could be true but its been awhile not and no improvement... again my doctor said it could be stress or caffeine the next time i saw him again.

I don't think i have a weak heart because i try to keep in shape regularly, doing alot of weight lifting at the gym but also doing alot of rope skipping ever since i started getting these symtoms but it makes no difference! (at least 400...errr... jumps? a day about 100 at a time)

Anyone have any suggestions? Or is my doctor right? It's just stress? I seem to have this condition pop up almost every day!

Last edited by Jodac; 10-08-2009 at 02:15 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Heart arrhythmia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodac View Post
My doctor told me it could be perhaps too much caffeine or too much stress, which could be true but its been awhile not and no improvement... again my doctor said it could be stress or caffeine the next time i saw him again.
When a doctor has no clue about a health condition, he ALWAYS diagnoses the problem as stress. It is the typical pat answer by almost all medical professionals.

What is happening in your body is that your heart's electrical system is getting stimulated by a release of body chemicals, either Cytokines or Hormones. These chemicals can be released into your body by stress, but also by things you eat or drink, or any kind of allergen, irritant, smoke, pollutant, chemical exposure, dye, material, caffeine, a diet too high in calories, etc.

If you drink a caffeinated beverage, like Coffee, Tea or Soda, you might consider avoiding it. If you consume too many calories, you might consider cutting back on the sugars and treats and goodies and snacks; and then see if your condition improves.

If you smoke or are around others who smoke, it could be causing or exacerbating your problems.

Quote:
I don't think i have a weak heart because i try to keep in shape regularly, doing alot of weight lifting at the gym but also doing alot of rope skipping ever since i started getting these symtoms but it makes no difference! (at least 400...errr... jumps? a day about 100 at a time)
You are probably in great shape. What you need to do is continue to exercise, eat a healthy diet, and find out what irritant is causing an over-stimulation of your heart's electrical system. Many people have this problem mostly in bed, since the bed is the worst place for allergies and irritants.

Quote:
Anyone have any suggestions? Or is my doctor right? It's just stress? I seem to have this condition pop up almost every day!
Does your doctor still get paid for his services? If so, he is right, in his eyes. His business model is working!

When a doctor says that it is probably stress, it means that he doesn't have a clue.

Good luck with finding a solution to your heart arrhythmia problem.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 10-08-2009 at 09:56 AM.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:32 PM   #3
(male)

Jodac HB User

I try and keep it healthy... i don't smoke nor take any recreational drugs.

I DO drink socially but only once a week and even then not TOO heavily.. (about 7-10 drinks for the night)

i DO eat alot of high calorie and high sodium foods... =/ not so much sweets however. The whole reason i do so much exercise is to be able to continue eating such foods (i'm a sucker for potato chips and bagels) while eating these foods hasnt caused me much damage so far (my blood pressure was low-average and my cholesterol was normal too)

I think im gonna try cutting back on those and see if it helps with my heart problem... is it anything serious you think btw? I went to my doctor recently and he said if it keeps bothering me then sleeping on my side should fix the problem.... it didn't T_T

I'm just worried ive done some permanent damage to my heart!!!

Old 10-09-2009, 01:31 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sam78 HB User

Jodac. What is sounds like to me, based on what you have told us... that you are probably having premature beats. What you described is a common description of what people say they feel. When you have a premature beat, the heart then has a slight pause which makes the next beat really hard and heavy but it is a very full beat. That one beat produces a higher flow of blood which travels through your body. Some people say that they feel like someone punched them in the heart of the lungs, or hiccups. Most people it happens at random times and of course very common to go into the doctor and even have lots of tests and they cant find anything because they are so random. If you consider premature beats as what you could be possibly having, then yes what the doctor said would be correct... stress, caffeine, and alcohol are known to make these worse. You may just have these occasional beats (even when not stressed or having caffeine or alcohol) if you do put those in the mix you could have more of them. Prematures beats are extremely common. They are harmless but can become bothersome. Sometimes there can be one area that these beats originate from and when you lay in certains positions can irritate it. You wouldnt think your heart has much room to manuever around in there but to some extent it does. I think you are on the right track with your diet changes. Sometimes these beats just come as they please, I swear they have a mind of their own!!! Honestly stress can make things worse and he could possibly be right but there is likely other cause to them then just stress. Keep up the exercise and dont stress (oh geesh I said that word ) about it, they will likely either resolve in time or you will just get use to them.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodac View Post
i DO eat alot of high calorie and high sodium foods... =/ not so much sweets however. The whole reason i do so much exercise is to be able to continue eating such foods (i'm a sucker for potato chips and bagels) while eating these foods hasnt caused me much damage so far (my blood pressure was low-average and my cholesterol was normal too)
At your young age, usually consuming high calories has minimal impact because it can be burned off. However, depending upon your metabolism and your tendency towards Calorie Dysfunction, such as in Diabetes, those excess calories can cause all kinds of mayhem and misery in one's body, including breathing problems, heart rhythm dysfunction, tiredness, fatigue, memory fog, high blood pressure, etc.

In my case, I was able to eat loads of chips, beer, sweets, snacks, fast food, etc., well into my 40's before my health started deteriorating from my heart rhythm problems.

Quote:
I think im gonna try cutting back on those and see if it helps with my heart problem...
It'll be interesting, and a nice easy solution for you, if a change in diet helps. However, there are many other things that can stimulate one's Hormonal or Immune Systems, causing Heart Rhythm Malfunctions, such as you are experiencing. Connecting the dots, and figuring out exactly what combination of factors "triggers" cause Heart Arrhythmias can be extremely complicated and difficult to do. OTOH, you could get lucky and figure out what is causing, or triggering your problems right away!

Quote:
is it anything serious you think btw? I went to my doctor recently and he said if it keeps bothering me then sleeping on my side should fix the problem.... it didn't T_T
Sleeping on one's side?! What kind of advice was that?!

When you went into the waiting room, were there all kinds of dogs, birds and cats waiting for treatment in the waiting room? Did the doctor try to put you up on a table and examine your teeth?

Quote:
I'm just worried ive done some permanent damage to my heart!!!
The best judge of heart damage, in my non-professional opinion (I am merely a fellow patient), is your symptoms.

Do you get out of breath easy, especially when exercising or doing work? Do you sweat easy when applying yourself? Do you get chest pains, especially when doing physical stuff? Ever feel fatigued or like you are going to pass out? How often does your heart race, or skip a bunch of beats when doing physical exercise or work?

Regardless, of how you are now, heart problems, such as yours, though probably minor right now (I am guessing), tend to get slowly and progressively worse if not taken care of now. You certainly don't want to go on heart meds, if you can avoid them, because of the numerous side effects, such as tiredness and lack of energy, so if you can find out what is causing your problems, and avoid the "triggers" of your heart rhythm dysfunctions, you might avoid or improve any future heart or health problems.

Take care.....

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 10-09-2009 at 07:57 AM.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
(male)

Jodac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
Do you get out of breath easy, especially when exercising or doing work? Do you sweat easy when applying yourself? Do you get chest pains, especially when doing physical stuff? Ever feel fatigued or like you are going to pass out? How often does your heart race, or skip a bunch of beats when doing physical exercise or work?
Umm i don't really get out of breath too easily tho nowdays when i do some intense cardio activity (like a FULL ON sprint) i feel fine until i turn off the machine and afew a few moments i feel nausea and sometimes vomit... i hear it's normal tho (again on the internet) when doing an intense workout that i'm not used to (other than skipping i usually only do weights and rarely much cardio activity)

I used to be a competative swimmer and never really had these problems before although on another note... when i used to finish a race, after going ALL out i do remember feeling VERY sick if i exited the water too soon (like hopping out of the pool right after a race) but feeling fine once again after jumping back into the pool, i figured its because i didn't do a warm down perhaps? Haven't really looked too much into this

Nope, never really felt my heart skip a beat while exercising, it does race tho but i figured thats because i'm doing physical activity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam78 View Post
When you have a premature beat, the heart then has a slight pause which makes the next beat really hard and heavy but it is a very full beat.
That's RIGHT on the money! It seriously feels like my heart has done a hiccup!

It's always been something like "...normal beat...normal beat...normal beat...normal beat...BAM! STRONG BEAT... normal beat..."

There's no pain nor any other symptoms only annoyance! Although i feel it the LEAST after a doing some weights and my whole body feels tired from it.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
(female)

lltomich HB Userlltomich HB User

I wouldn't worry much, just cut back on the bad stuff a bit. There are so many of us on here that are older and our heart has been through a lot and we are still kicking! I had AVNRT which gave me heart rates of 180 - 240 most of my life until an ablation, had PVC's/PAC's, ventricular tachycardia from adenosine, the heart is amazing! Takes a lot to do it damage. Worrying is a bad thing in my opinion. I workout at least 2 hours a day even after all of what you read above. Stress kills, don't stress!!!

Closed Thread