It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
(male)

adanny HB User
Just survived heart attack from a 100% blocked LAD - some questions

Hi folks

I was shocked, as I understand many on this Board were, by a heart attack recently. It was caused by a 100% blocked LAD, and happened last friday (4 days back). I am only now understanding how lucky I am to be even writing this. Despite ZERO past history, chest pain or risk factors, some sixth sense compelled me to call 911 when I started feeling a mild chest discomfort. I felt downright STUPID as I made the call, but by the time they got here ~5 minutes later, I was reeling in pain and in the middle of a full fledged attack. They got me to a hospital quickly and my LAD had been cleared and stented within 90-120 minutes of the initial pain.

Reason I am writing is to get some input from the experts here on what to ask my cardiologist. I am meeting him for my first post-attack, detailed discussion in 2 days.

Frankly, I cannot understand how I could have a heart attack...
...I am 38
...have always been ultra sporty, outdoorsy etc (A wannabe-athlete whose eagerness and desire exceeded his talent is how I would describe myself)
...Been working out 8-10 times/month for the last few years
...6 feet tall and have been ~175 pounds or less my whole life
...have had regular healthcheckups although no cardiac stress test
...no family history, Blood pressure always about 120/80 or lower
...cholesterol has been medium to high but not ridiculous (Total: 200-260 for last 4-5 years, but HDL always between 50-65; Total was measured to be 190 the day of the attack). I was trying to get my cholesterol down HARD the last few years via exercise and diet and was loath to get onto statins unless essential
...I have a very healthy diet. I'm a big fan of oatmeal, fruits, vegetables, grains and lentils. And I have limited red meat to 5-6 times/month or less for the last many years.
...don't smoke.
...Drink alcohol but not a lot (~5-20 glasses of mostly red wine per week)

I want to understand from my cardiologist...
1. How does a guy like me get a heart attack at 38? If I'd known, I definitely would not have stayed off those steaks, desserts and Big Macs
2. Why would such a big clot form? can a clot form even if there is little plaque in the arteries?
3. How much plaque blockage is there in my arteries, including the afflicted LAD and others?
4. Did they "service" and de-clog the other arteries as well while they were at it? is that usual/unusual?
5. What possible life style changes could I make beyond the above description? Of course, I am getting onto the standard plavix, zocor, zestril, toprol, aspirin?
6. Did I mention - how does a guy like me get such a massive heart attack at 38?

Apologies in advance if this has been discussed ad nauseum here before. Would appreciate any input, additional questions you would probe with the cardiologist if you were in my shoes.

thanks
adanny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2009, 01:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Just survived heart attack from a 100% blocked LAD - some questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by adanny View Post
...cholesterol has been medium to high but not ridiculous (Total: 200-260 for last 4-5 years, but HDL always between 50-65; Total was measured to be 190 the day of the attack). I was trying to get my cholesterol down HARD the last few years via exercise and diet and was loath to get onto statins unless essential
...I have a very healthy diet. I'm a big fan of oatmeal, fruits, vegetables, grains and lentils. And I have limited red meat to 5-6 times/month or less for the last many years.
To me, the ONLY healthy diet is one where our bodies don't take in more calories, in one meal, or for the day, than our metabolism can properly process. Each one of us has a different tolerance for "total" calories.

If we eat excess calories, regardless of the source or quality, then bedlam breaks loose in our bodies, and either plaque forms and/or our metabolism gets out of balance.

If your diet was not healthy due to excess calories, then surely you've had some other signs, like excessive sweating after eating, fatigue after eating, cloudy or confused thinking or concentration, after eating, etc.

Best of luck and health!

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 11-04-2009 at 07:34 AM.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
(female)

hawaiianmoon HB User

What were your symptoms when you had your attack?

Last edited by hb-mod; 02-26-2010 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "Quick" Reply rather than "Quote" Reply. Thanks!

Old 02-26-2010, 05:50 AM   #4
(male)

adanny HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiianmoon View Post
What were your symptoms when you had your attack?
Had finished my gym routine. Started feeling tired rather than energized. 10 minutes later, after driving hom, started feeling like I hadn't fully swallowed my breakfast (even though it had been more than 1.5 hours since I had eaten). But there was no pain, really. Just this stuck in throat feeling. For reasons still not clear to, I called 911 and despite my protests not to send an ambulance, they did.

10 minutes later, with the EMR crew in my living room, as I was talking to them, I threw up and then things got worse and it was clear I was in Cardiac arrest...couldn't stand, acute central chest pain etc.

Closed Thread