It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
(female)

pixietwin HB User
Heart rate increases when I lie down

I started taking Toprol XL 25 mg 2x a day plus one Altace 2.5 mg about a month ago for HBP plus a fast pulse. I have been doing great but noticed about a week ago that my heart beats faster when I lie down. I have a home bp wrist machine so I used to test sitting and lying down. My pulse used to beat slower when I would lie down - for example my pulse would change from low 70s to mid 60s after I laid down. Now I am finding that it gets about 10 bpm faster when I lay on my back or side. I can sit in a chair and my pulse might be 72 but then I recline or lay down and it goes up to 81-87. Why would this happen? I haven't noticed any other negative effects but I'm worried. I can't find anything online about a faster pulse when lying down - all I've found is that your pulse is supposed to decrease...not increase. I will go make a doc appt next month because I need to get refills but in the meantime I'd like to know if anybody else experiences this. OH, another strange thing is that when it happens at bedtime, the higher pulse lasts about 4-5 hours. Usually after that it goes back to the low 70s. Should I be worried?

Old 11-26-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Heart rate increases when I lie down

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixietwin View Post
... I have been doing great but noticed about a week ago that my heart beats faster when I lie down.
I've always had the same problem. I have a combination of heart disease and allergies. When I come into contact with an allergen or irritant, it not only gets my heart jumping around, skipping beats, and beating faster, it also can raise my blood pressure, stuff up my nose, and bring on breathing difficulties (Asthma).

Because of my weak heart, and valve problems, lying down is always a problem, whether on back, left side or right side, but when lying down in bed I suffer the worst symptoms of all.

The bed is the WORST place for allergies, so I figure that when I lie down in bed, the allergens, dust, dust mites, etc., are the cause of my worsening heart-beat symptoms.

Just some things for you to think about.

May you have an enjoyable Thanksgiving!

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 11-26-2009 at 06:12 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
(female)

pixietwin HB User

During this 2 week period, I've also noticed it has been getting higher at night. Now it is running between 85-95 when i wake up and test. I have been on vacation and eating out a lot so taking in much more carbs. I wonder if a temporary change in diet can do this? It's very frustrating.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
(female)

pixietwin HB User

Well, now I am wondering if I have a hiatal hernia and this is causing my rapid heart beat when I lay down? I have always had stomach problems. I used to take a pepcid when necessary. Now I'm up to two max strength pepcids a day pretty much. Sunday night I made scrambled eggs for dinner with a ham steak and Grands biscuits. It was a large meal but we finished eating about 6:45. Went to bed at 10:15. I was tired and checked my pulse/bp. Pulse was 69. Went to sleep and woke up at 11:15 with a rapid heart beat. My pulse was 92. From then til 2:15, it was high. I drifted on and off, and woke up again around 1 with pulse of 103. Then around 2:30, I was awake and noticed it all calmed down. Pulse dropped to mid-upper 70s. It was there the rest of the night.

Last night I had a small bland dinner early. At bedtime, laying on back my pulse was 64. We watched tv in bed for about an hour - so I tested again and noticed my pulse had gone to 78. I don't have any acid pain but it can get bad if I eat spicy, fried foods or raw veggies and don't take a pepcid. I know there isn't much you can do for a hiatal hernia other than surgery and food modifications .... but it's frustrating to have your pulse increase just because of laying down in bed. At least it usually only lasts 3-4 hours laying down before it goes back to normal. Does that sound like a vagus nerve irritation due to a hiatal hernia or something with my heart? I don't get the rapid heart beat during the daytime. At rest it's usually in the mid 60s to mid 70s. It only gets fast like this at night soon after going to bed. I do take the Toprol XL at 9 pm, but it apparently isn't helping to keep my pulse down when I'm in bed. This is why I am wondering if it's a sliding hernia instead of a heart problem.

Closed Thread