It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
(male)

Yevri HB User
Heart? HBP? Acid Reflux?

Sorry for long message. Been writing this out for doctor and found this site and thought it might be helpful. You can skim!

White Male, 44 years old, 5í11Ē 165 lbs. Blood Pressure (BP) has always been normal range. Last doctor visit in July, BP was higher, but had kidney stone at the time. Have had 2 kidney stones in the last few years, last one in July 2009.

Been taking Allegra-D daily for about 10 years I guess, along with Nasacort spray. Had taken Clariton D and others before that, so probably for 14 years or so?

Work from home at a computer usually from 6:00am for 30 minutes, then get kids ready for school and drive to school. Work from 7:45am-2:45pm, help kids with homework, then work off and on until dinner, then run kids in evening to practices. End up working for another hour or two after kids go to sleep (until midnight). Iím also a guitarist and singer in a band and play a couple nights per month on average.

Lifestyle (have none!). I donít drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes or do any sort of drug other than Allegra-D. I usually eat mini-wheats with soy milk and V8 for breakfast, a lean cuisine or something like that for lunch. These are high in sodium and so is the V8 (which Iím switching for low sodium). Often we have pasta or baked chicken for dinner and some sort of vegetable or salad. We eat badly on weekends Ė pizza or hotdogs at kidsí games and calzones and fries for dinner, etc.

I donít feel like Iíve been more stressed than usual before this period of time Ė no anxiety that I know of. I work too much and sleep too little, but work hasnít been more stressful than normal and I have actually been working a little less than usual (filling that with running kids around, etc.).

I go for a short walk with dog right before noon, used to jog but have been just walking and a short run down the street. No real exercise other than pitching to kids, or playing a little football or basketball with them Ė no real exercise.

Family history of heart conditions. Mother and at least 2 siblings have high blood pressure Ė most developed around 40 years old. My brother who is two years older than me had a mild heart attack (that he didnít know about until afterwards while getting a physical exam). Found he has high cholesterol. He is probably 5í8Ē and 130 lbs. An aunt and uncle on my momís side died of heart attacks Ė aunt was 55, uncle in his mid-sixties? My momís mom also died in her 50s from heart attack. My mom is 70 with HBP. Father has HBP Ė developed in his 70s.

Mon Nov 16. Raking leaves late afternoon, quick dinner, running kids around to practices. Evening, feeling really bad. Headache, lightheaded, a little nauseas, but sometimes get that with allergies, figured with leaves there was mold, etc. Had trouble sleeping that night, woke up often over night not feeling well and dull pain in left side of chest and a little down left arm. About 3-4 hours of sleep.

Tues Nov 17. Worked from home and was pretty busy so I ignored symptoms pretty much. Tues evening after dinner felt bad again. More nauseas than Monday, headache, lightheaded and pains in left side of chest and down left arm (still dull pain), with pins and needles in left hand and a little pain in left side of back. Remembered that we had a blood pressure machine in closet from kidsí science project. Tested and it was higher than usual Ė 130s over upper 80s or 90 Ė pulse was also high Ė in 80s or 90s. Very little sleep over night with pains in chest and in neck as well (all left side).

Wed Nov 18. Called doctor at 8:30 am for appointment, they said go to hospital. Went to Christ Hospital in Cincinnati. Spent day there. EKG was normal, did stress test and echocardiogram and that was all normal. BP was 144 over 100 when I left the hospital.

Thurs Nov 19. Went to family doctor. He saw me for about 10 minutes. Said it was likely acid reflux causing chest pain, took me off of Allegra D and put me on generic of Allegra (Fexofenadine), prescribed HBP medicine (Lisinopril) and acid reflux medicine Pantoprazole). I jogged on Thursday - felt terrible afterwards Ė not sure if it was just out of shape or something more, so I stopped and havenít really done anything but walk since then. Had a gig on that Friday night so I didnít exercise that day - was able to sing and play guitar all night, but didnít feel well. Jogged on Saturday and felt really bad afterwards, so I havenít jogged since.

Felt really bad for a few days after that. Lightheaded most of the time and a little nauseas Ė wasnít sure if it was from not having a decongestant or something else. Took the acid reflux med for about 4-5 days, dull chest pain didnít go away and I didnít feel like it was acid reflux anyway, so I stopped taking it. Didnít make a difference either way (but maybe I didnít give it long enough). Just started taking it again past two days, hasnít made a difference yet.

Mon Dec 7. Been a few weeks and still having dull chest pains and pain down left arm - mainly under my armpit and downward. I get pins and needles in my left arm a lot. Woke in the middle of the night one night with really sharp pains in my index finger of my left arm. I also get some sharp pains in my upper back, left side Ė less often on my right side. And have been having pain just below my butt on upper hamstrings (very similar to pain Iím having under my armpits), but not nearly as often as my left arm. When I sneeze I get a lot of pain in both sides of my upper chest and down both arms Ė kind of like when I have a bad cold or flu and I sneeze - but worse pain than that.

Arms seem to get fatigued much easier than they used to, especially left arm and more specifically, left triceps and I get numbness in left fingers often now.

My allergies havenít been as bad as I thought theyíd be without my decongestant (I used to get really bad headaches and motion sickness very easily if I only took antihistamine without the decongestant) but itís not been bad lately. I can breathe fine and nose not bad. I can live with it this way.

Blood pressure has been an average of 115 over 83 with a pulse averaging 81.6 during this period (with me taking it every two hours during waking hours the first few days to a couple times per day lately).

Recently got a new chair for my desk, but this was after the pains and hospital, etc. Itís almost the same chair as I had and I think I have the height the same, etc. So it doesnít seem like itís carpal tunnel syndrome or something like that.

Going for blood workup Dec 8 for cholesterol, etc. What should I be asking my doctor?

Ideas about treatment and what I should be doing? Will exercise and better diet allow for me to get away from the meds?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
(female)

gammy6 HB User
Re: Heart? HBP? Acid Reflux?

Hi Yevri, I am suffering from mold that I just learned I have been exposed for the past 3 mos. I had no idea, but I do know I have a very bad allergy to mold. I also have a pacemaker and lupus. We just had the house tested for mold (including the air.) We have discovered we have horrifically high levels of certain molds that are toxic and pathogenic. We had no idea...it was not visible to us. Your symptoms seem to match molds symptoms that I have found online in my research...check out the online info and you may find you need to test your house. Hope this helps. C.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB User

Do you think that possibly your left-arm pain and tingling has anything to do with holding your guitar? I once injured my sciatic nerve while trimming a tall tree; even after a steroid shot and PT, I still had tingling in my right arm which eventually subsided. I was using that arm to pull down limbs of bushes and over-did it. My son plays drums and started having problems with sciatica which eventually caused him to walk stooped over.
(he didn't even realize that his posture had changed.Someone at his work mentioned to him that his back was hunched. He learned from either his orthopedist, or the PT that he was stooping over when he played the drums. To compensate for the soreness he started riding his bike in a stooped-over position and finally changed the way he walked.
He had a steroid shot to help his sciatic pain from the herniate disk. Then with the help of physical therapy and exercises given to him to do at home, he cured his posture.
He was 45 at the time. Of course, he also changed his sitting position while playing the drums and while biking. That was 4 years ago, and since then he has had no problem and even can skii again. He also plays in a band on weekends.
Thought you might be able to relate your pains somehow to his experience. At least it was worth tellling you about his experience. Good luck! Mabent

Old 05-03-2010, 03:13 AM   #4
(male)

Yevri HB User

Thanks, Gammy6. Sorry to hear about the mold issue. I am very allergic to mold and wonder often about that causing other problems. I was raking leaves (which can be filled with mold) when all this started. How do you go about testing your house for mold? I have thought about doing that but am concerned about finding a legitimate company that isn't going to scam me.

It's been almost 5 months since I posted this issue and since then I have been on HBP medicine daily. My BP has been normal. I also take the acid reflux medicine pretty often, not daily like the doc suggested because the medicine makes me hungry and I eat all the time when I'm on it. When I know I'll be eating something that will cause more acid, then I take it. For the most part, I haven't been having the chest and arm pain. I'm thinking the doctor might have been correct about the acid reflux causing the chest pain - I'm not sure I buy the arm pain being caused by acid reflux, but who knows. I will get some chest pain on the left side when I eat spicy food and haven't take the acid reflux medicine. So that might be correct. I've wondered if guitar and sitting position while I work at the computer have something to do with the arm symptoms as well and it was just a coincidence that they happened at the same time. Those symptoms (arm pain, numbness in left hand and shooting pains in fingers) are all gone now.

I have also recently gotten on singulair for my allergies and that has helped quite a bit. I hate being on the extra meds - allegra, singulair and HBP, but it does seem to be helping. I noticed that my eye sight has worsened suddenly (distant things are blurry and my eyes seem dry all the time) and wonder if it's just age (just turned 45) or if the meds play a part in that happening so suddenly. I haven't seen anything about that in the side effects, but I doubt the combinations have been thoroughly tested.

Thanks again for your reply. I hope your mold issues are getting better.

Last edited by Yevri; 05-03-2010 at 03:31 AM.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:26 AM   #5
(male)

Yevri HB User

Thanks for the reply Mabent. The pain in my arm could be a coincidence and related to some injury or overuse from guitar or work. You might be correct there. It's pretty much gone now.

The doctor might have been correct about the acid reflux causing my issues. Not sure, but a neighbor who is a doctor told me that with the acid reflux, you need to be on the medicine for a while before it works so I used it for a few weeks straight and it seemed that the symptoms lessened and were pretty much gone. I could have sworn that it had nothing to do with acid reflux - made no sense to me that it would be on the left side of my chest and my arm and not in the center of my chest since that's how I had always felt acid reflux in the past, but maybe they were correct about that. Or it could be the HBP medicine made the difference. Not sure, but things are much better now.

I hope your son's issues have gotten better - that's amazing.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:41 AM   #6
(female)

gammy6 HB User

Hi Yevri...< edited > I personally have had pneumonia, asthma, and heart complications in the past 3 months.. I also wanted you to see that sometimes the mold symptoms are mistaken for acid reflux. As for allergy medicine, I find zyrtec works better for me than claritin or singulair.

We found our mold tester through the internet. He is certified and licensed. I live in the Space Coast area of FL so if you live on the east coast of FL, I would recommend him to you. Then he must send the samples to a gov't approved lab. You then deal with your home owners ins. That is where we are at.

The tester comes in and takes several samples of your air in several rooms and outside as a baseline. They charge per room, so we only did 3 tests (about $300 total).

And the ins. co is dragging their feet..of course. (allstate). They should be getting us out of this home and fixing it. But so far it is a sit and wait. We can stay in touch so we can follow up on both of our progress. I hope the info sheet I sent is helpful! Take care..

Last edited by hb-mod; 05-04-2010 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Old 05-05-2010, 03:38 AM   #7
(male)

Yevri HB User

Thanks for the info. Keep us posted on the mold issue. We might have to test for that since my family and I are so allergic to mold anyway.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:39 AM   #8
(male)

Yevri HB User

Double posted - never mind on this one.

Last edited by Yevri; 05-05-2010 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Double posted due to delay.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:16 AM   #9
(female)

gammy6 HB User

Hi...the mold was old and dangerous so the insurance co. has put us up in an extended stay hotel...very nice, until the house is fixed...at least a week. At least now we will have a chance to get better. We will go home again when all the mold is gone! Take care...feel good. Cheryl

Closed Thread