It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
(male)

Waynebro HB User
What can I do for fast, erratic heartbeat?

Hello to all! Happy New Year!

I have been reading some of your threads that caught my interest! let me say this, I turn 52 in Nov. 28th. I myself have skip and flop and miss fire you name it.. Its been with me since I was young (8). I remember my family and I went on a vacation at the lake in Arkansas. That's the beginning of my problem started! Mom and Dad taken me to a nearby doctor because of my side was hirting me so bad I had to bend over to keep the pain down. The problem was something I have ate. Than the doctor told my parents that I have a heart murmur. I just didn't know what that was just didn't care because I was young at the time.

Than, I was around 15 or alittle older I felt my first bad thing of my life!! I was playing basketball with some of friends in the gym and it hit me.. As I was coming down from a rebound, not soon as my feet hit the floor my heart went so fast. I felt the heart as like it was a run away sewing machine this would last about 30 sec. I Went to the doctor and he said, that was dangerous so did a ekg and of course normal. This happen to me 5 more times spread out in my teen years doing active things as playing ball or running down or up a hills. limit what I did.. My weight was 160 lbs at 6 foot.

As time pass I started getting heart skips and fluttering, no fast beats just skips and fluttering of the heart! Very scarey! Doctor also put me on a heart monitor and did found the skips and mild case of fluttering. Man these things got a mind of its on. I try to control it even pray just make them stop. Why can't I be like everyone else normal!! Been fighting with these thing for years off and on! Had from stress test to ekg and you name it. Sometimes I get tried of fight it and just live with it.. I thought by now some doctor would have the same thing and come up with an answer or cure. You know now with tech knowledge!

Sorry! telling whole life story! I see that im not along on this issue on the heart problem. As doctor would say, its normal. Well, let me share one more thing .. 2 weeks ago I was talking to some friends at Walmart it was at night around 10:30 and as I was talking to them I had a hard skip and jumping around my chest and I could feel it pretty good, the heart was doing this for about 7 to 8 sec. The funny thing of this, is that I just kept on talking. Like nothing was happening with me.. When I got back home sat on the couch and get normal and skips and flutters untill i went to bed...have at time to wake me but, went back to sleep.

I work as a cable installer and love my work. I climb poles and work in attics and under floors putting in cable and install equipment. It seem to me that the winter time is more active. I take a beta blockers pill called Atenolol 25 mg. for sometime 8 years. It does alittle bit for me not much. My weight is 220 lbs 6 foot. If anyone knows of anything else a person can do,,, Please let me know.. All take care Wayne

Please keep in touch!!!!!!

Last edited by Waynebro; 01-01-2010 at 11:55 AM. Reason: putting my weight and height

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
(male)

sico HB User
Re: What can I do for fast, erratic heartbeat?

This heart prob seems to be the most common on this forum. Nobody has yet posted that they had a heart attack because of it.
Mine flip tops and burps major time for years now and I still have not died.
It comes and goes. Have now had it for 3 months every day. Doctors cannot find the problem.
I think it is smoking as the nicotine aggravates the heart muscle, or drinking too much. I smoke and drink and know that this is the cause.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
(female)

coastgirl198 HB User

Seems like we have about the same thing,I use to have it all the time until the DR put me on 100 mg of atenolol then it seemed to go away for about 8 yrs,but lately I have been having it again and it is scarey. I can just be sitting down and it will start seems like it will never stop,I have been taking a magnesium pill and I eat a tums it seems to help.I had a nucular stress test and echo but they came back fine,I do have inverted T waves to but the DR says they can be caused by a number of things and I do hyperventalate sometimes and that can cause the inverted T waves but I do get scared and no one can tell me why I have these things..maybe you could have the dr raise your atenolol dosage I am maxed out on the dosage so I don't know what else they can give me but I am going to make another appt with the dr and see what else he can do.I hope you find out what is causing this also..let me know ,will keep you in my prayers

Old 01-04-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
(male)

sico HB User

I also have inverted T Wave. Complex Tachycardia, missed beats and all.
This inverted T Wave I do not understand at this stage, but I saw a post by a doctor on some site that said it can be caused by stress and one should not worry about it. Had it for 15 years.
I still do worry, but nothing more on the net about it.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
(female)

moonlit12 HB User

I'm with you my friends... this stuff is scary- especially when you have young children like I do... does anyone know of any research projects addressing this issue?

Old 01-13-2010, 04:49 AM   #6
(male)

stltim HB User

I have a similar history as "Waynebro" the original poster. I have had rapid and irregular heart stuff going on since I have been a kid around 12 years old and I am now 44. I have more or less dealt with heart irregularities such as sudden burst of a rapid heart rate to constant palpitations for several years. I remember the day when I went from a normal heart rate and rhythm to a continual pattern of palpitations that lasted for 4 years until I had a major episode of what is now deemed atrial fribillation. I am not even sure that is right to be honest.

In most all of our cases the doctor tells us that we are okay and for some of us we are placed on various kinds of medications. As a person that has lived with this stuff for over 30 years I suspect that doctors do not understand the depth of anxiety and stress we feel as a result of the issues. Where there is something that is not right with your heart it is very scary and bothersome.

The general advice that I would give anyone is to stay actively involved in your health and if you feel something is wrong then you need to pursue it. We all know our own bodies and we need to listen to our gut. I also think stress and anxiety play a large role here and we need to find ways to lower our daily stress as well as when we are having an issue. For me I have learned to meditate, do deep breathing, prayer, etc. I also think talking on this forum and to people that truly understand what we are going through is also helpful.

I wish everyone continued good health and a good new year.

Tim

Closed Thread