It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
(male)

mikey84 HB User
Lightbulb Odd heart issues, palpitations, need advice

Hi all, sorry in advance for the long read, however I've been having these issues for quite a while...

I first noticed a few weird palpitations about two years ago. It feels like a single hiccup or jumpstart or skipped beat in the heart area and it usually makes me cough, although I don't feel like I have to cough (not a lung thing). Frequency was once or twice a week.

This lasted for about a year until I started noticing it happening more often and I started to notice my heartbeat pounding loudly at times where it shouldn't. I went to see my family doctor. He listened to my heartbeat and told me that he could hear a very minor abnormality in the electrical rhythm. He ordered a cardiogram and Holter monitor test.

During my wait for the Holter monitor setup appointment, I began experiencing increased palpitations, and one night, noticeable chest pains that got me worried. I ended up going to the ER for which they did an EKG and again, found nothing abnormal. I did the 24-hour Holter test and saw a cardiologist, whom proceeded to tell me he couldn't find anything of note in the Holter results and that it was likely due to "diet" or "caffeine intake" or "stress".

My stats: I'm 25 years old, 5"10 and a muscly 200 pounds. Yes, I could stand to lose a few pounds! However, for years, I have been regularly exercising at least three times a week, if not more. I play ice-hockey twice a week, swim, run, lift etc.

Which brings me to my next issue. Increasingly as of the last few months (this is about 9 months since the Holter test), when I play hockey, during the first half of the game or so, when I come back to the bench after a shift, I will have several very noticeable heart-hiccups (that's what I call them) on the bench, probably about 6 or 7 of them. As soon as I get back on the ice for the next shift, they go away. It seems to be only when I go from high-heart-rate back down to something reasonable while I am sitting. About halfway through the game, once I've been playing for a good half our or so, they don't happen as much or at all.

It's getting to a point where I am CONVINCED that something is wrong with my heart... yet all of the EKGs etc have yielded nothing from the doctors. This of course makes me hesitant to go back and see the doc again.

Another symptom... occasionally I will feel feint but noticeable pains in my chest. I decided to take my pulse during one of these incidents and noticed my heart rate was about 54-55. I've read it should be above 60.

Anyone with any ideas as to what's going on with the ticker?

Any help would be appreciated greatly!

Last edited by mikey84; 02-22-2010 at 03:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
(male)

sico HB User
Re: Odd heart issues, palpitations, need advice

I also have this. It comes and goes. When it skips a beat, it feels like a "Head Rush" not so?
I had extensive med tests in a private hospital twice over 3 days each and they could not find a prob with body and then said it is stress.
Sometimes I get a pulse like: pulse, skip, pulse, pulse, skip, pulse, skip, pulse, pulse, pulse, skip. Then I feel slightly dizzy and my feet feel hot. This might carry on for 5 minutes and then it goes like: Pulse, pulse, pulse, skip, pulse, pulse, pulse, pulse, skip. If you know what I mean.

I have had this for 13 years.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
(male)

acdc554 HB User

I have the same symptoms as well. Anxiety is what makes mine the worst though. I find that when I am with my friends or in school, I have no trouble at all because I am entirely focused on something else. However, in my spare time, I get palpitations often due to anxiety and stress. I have had A Fib in the past as well.

Do you get a higher frequency of heart palpitations when laying down? That's when I get mine the most. If I am on my back(which I can no longer sleep on anymore b/c of the palpitations) then my heart goes wild.

Try not to worry to much about it. Maybe go for a stress test and see if that turns up any results. The stress is a multiplier in terms of palpitations for me.

Also, drink fluids and consume electrolytes..mainly salt, but potassium and magnesium don't hurt.

Last edited by acdc554; 02-23-2010 at 02:00 PM.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
(male)

mikey84 HB User

Sico and acdc, thanks for the replies.

My symptoms definitely seem to be a bit different than yours. I never experience any dizziness or head rushes and as far as I know I don't have any problems with anxiety. I'm usually a pretty laid back person. I would say my job and life is pretty far from stressful.

I don't usually get any skipped beats when laying down, although I have noticed my heart-beat pounding a lot when laying down or at night when trying to sleep. It comes and goes though.

My biggest concern is the hockey thing. When I come back to the bench it's all I can focus on, because I know it's coming... and while it doesn't hurt... it makes me think, jeez, am I going to keel over in a second?

Basically what's going through my head is can a holter monitor, several EKGs and a cardiologist miss something? Is there something here that's gone undiagnosed?

Or should I just accept the doctors "there's nothing wrong with you" and learn to live with it?

Old 02-24-2010, 08:05 AM   #5
(male)

mikey84 HB User

Oh, also, occasionally during hockey I will experience a very feint but noticeable tingling or pins and needles in the ends of my left hand's pinky and ring finger.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:15 AM   #6
(male)

sico HB User

The head rushes come when I feel my pulse in my neck and it skips a beat. Otherwise it is a flutter feeling in my chest. An occasional skiped beat is OK with me, but when it skips a beat after every 2'nd or 3'rd beat, then I get somewhat dizzy. Feels like a continuous rumble in my chest.

Closed Thread