It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User
Exclamation Heart biopsy experience? Urgent help needed!

Can anyone tell me what they know about heart biopsy? I need information about the procedure itself, what happened exactly, and what they were trying to diagnose?

My dad has a history of hypertension and atrial fibrilation/flutter. Finally after 2 cardiac ablations, the afib/flutter seems to be done, he's currently in NSR. Hopefully that will continue. In the meantime, he had an echocardiogram done a couple of weeks ago and the cardiologist sent him to get an MRI, stating possible amyloidosis!! A blood test last week showed nothing out of the ordinary. But the MRI showed an enlarged heart. His only current physical symptom right now is shortness of breath upon exertion. That really bums him out because before he got sick with the afib, he was really active, walked 3 miles a day and lifted weights. He could pretty much have run circles around most guys half his age! And then the afib happened and it's been all crap since then.

My understanding of amyloidosis is that it is that it's exceedingly rare to have it affect only one organ. If someone has it, it affects multiple organs. The blood test ruled out him having it in multiple organs. But they don't know what is causing the enlarged heart and want to do a biopsy. I'm not a doctor but I know that hypertension can cause an enlarged heart. There were times when his BP was really high, for a few days, because his meds weren't working or whatever. For the most part it's controlled but not always because I'm sure as heart patients you all know how BP can be!

Anyways, my dad is very worried about doing the heart biopsy. His concern is that if there is something going on in the heart, doing the biopsy might cause whatever it is to be released into his bloodstream, making the situation worse. He wants to know exactly what's involved and how much of a sample is taken. Furthermore, he wants to know how they stop the bleeding, because I'm having trouble too understanding how they can snip tissue from the heart without it bleeding?!?

Please someone help me because I need to help my dad and I can't get answers from anyone! I need personal experience with the heart biopsy so I can tell him what to expect.

Last edited by Bracelet; 02-23-2010 at 02:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User
Re: Heart biopsy experience? Urgent help needed!

I am not familiar with the procedure, but I have found the Cleveland Clinic to have wonderful online information on Cardiac issues. I hope someone else may have some knowledge to share, but at least you may be able to research there.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User

Thanks for your response. My family is very familiar with Cleveland Clinic because that is where he had one of his cardiac ablations. They are the ones who saw on the echocardiogram that he had an enlarged heart and therefore sent him to find another doctor to get a more in depth look at what's going on.

I'm sad that over 70 views for my post only netted one response. I'm sure with the number of people who post here, there must be someone out there with some experience of a heart biopsy? Is it such an uncommon procedure that no one has any experience?

Please guys, I am desperate here! My dad needs me to come through for him with some info. If I tell him I can't find anything, he will be very upset. He has done so much for me in my life, I really just want to help him out here. Isnt' there someone out there who can give me some information, please??

Old 02-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #4
(male)

ixocean HB User

I'm one of the viewers who didn't originally comment, as I didn't really have anything meaningful to add. (Sorry!) But after having the same problem with my own newly added thread, I decided to do a little searching and came up with a few links for you:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003873.htm

< edited >

Best wishes,
Travis

Last edited by hb-mod; 02-25-2010 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Please do not post disallowed Internet websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Old 02-25-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

I know very little about Heart Biopsy, but I have had some personal experience with having an enlarged heart. I have survived Heart Failure for over 22 years, and am getting progressively better each day.

If you would care to read it, I documented how I've lived with Heart Failure in my thread, under this same topic of Heart Disorders, titled: The four essential steps, that I've taken, that help me live with Heart Failure

The direct link to my thread is: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=641933

Best regards to both you and your dad. I hope that he fully recovers and lives a long, quality life!

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Closed Thread