It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
(male)

ixocean HB User
Question MVP, Regurg, Ruptured Chordae, eek!

Hello everyone,

I've been around the boards for a few years and posted some wonderful news in 2005 that I had gone from 242lbs down to 175-ish, with a strict diet and exercise.

In 2007 however, I collapsed in a movie theater and as a result had what I could characterize as almost every medical test known to man. The end result was a diagnosis of Mitral Valve Prolapse/Regurgitation (via ECHO). Flash forward to this January and I've gained 30lbs and am experiencing extreme fatigue, chest pain, tingling in legs and arms, headache, nosebleeds, inability to concentrate at times, and hot flashes (sweats) accompanied by extremely cold feet and hands. My doctor ordered an ECHO.

Now it appears as if the condition has worsened somewhat and additional concerns were noted. I'm now seeing a Cardiologist who has ordered a TEE, which I will be doing within the next 10 days. At my appointment with him yesterday it truly hit; only 33 y/o and hearing him tell me which Cardiothoracic Surgeon he'd recommend, etc.

Here are the test results below; I welcome any input from others who may have similar experiences and/or anyone with medical training who may be interested in commenting.

Patient Data:

33 y/o male with exhaustion, extremities often VERY cold (hands/feet), daily cold sweats, occasional blurred vision, faint-feeling upon standing, unable to concentrate, chest pain/pressure, and throbbing pains (in sync with heartbeat) in neck/head followed on by headache, which sometimes results in nose bleeds. Recently had CT scan; came back 'normal' and had an MRI in 2007 after collapsing in a movie theater (what triggered the ECHO and finding of MVP). CBC and Thyroid panels have come back within 'normal' range as well. Recent BP was 142/90; subsequently prescribed Lisinopril 5mg 1xD. TEE has been ordered.

The 2007 ECHO results:

Observations
*Left Ventricle - Normal size with normal global and regional systolic function. Ejection fraction 65%. No wall motion abnormality.

*Left Atrium - Normal size.

*Right Ventricle - Normal size with normal systolic function.

*Right Atrium - Normal size.

*Aortic Valve - Normal.

*Mitral Valve - Leaflet thickening. Chordal thickening/calcification.

*Pulmonic Valve - Normal.

*Tricuspid Valve - Normal.

*Aorta - Normal root size.

*Pericardium - Normal.

*Pulmonary Artery - Normal size.

*Inferior Vena Cava - Normal size.

Doppler
*Mild mitral regurgitation, trace tricuspid regurgitation.

Conclusions
*Normal LV/RV size and function.
*Mitral valve thickening with systolic anterior motion of the Chordal apparatus and mild mitral regurgitation
*Trace tricuspid regurgitation
From the 2010 ECHO:

Observations
*Left Ventricle - Normal cavity. Normal wall thickness. Normal global systolic. Normal diastolic. No resting abnormalities noted.

*Left Atrium - Normal size and volume for age.

*Right Ventricle - Cavity size normal. Global systolic normal.

*Right Atrium - Cavity size normal.

*Aortic Valve - Normal structure and motion. No evidence of stenosis. No regurgitation visualized.

*Mitral Valve - Mild mitral regurgitation seen. Borderline mitral Prolapse present. Myxomatous bileaflet mitral valve. Mild ruptured chordae to the anterior leaflet. Mild ruptured chordae to the posterior leaflet.

*Tricuspid Valve - Normal valve structure and opening noted. Trace Tricuspid regurgitation noted.

*Pulmonary Valve - Appears normal. No evidence of stenosis. No regurgitation visualized.

*Pericardium - Appears normal. No pericardial effusion visualized.

*Aorta - Normal aortic root size for age and BSA.

*Pulmonary Artery - Systolic pressure is normal.

*Venous - Inferior vena cava is not dilated and shows more than 50% respiratory variation.

*Other - No pleural effusion present.

Conclusions
*Above, and global ejection fraction is 50-59%

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread