It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
(female)

yammom HB User
Don't know what to think

I'm 48 years old and diagnosed with celiac about 6 weeks ago and was found to be anemic and suffering from malabsorption even though I am slighly overweight, I have a new family doctor who did a routine EKG and found a resting HR of 45 (I'm not an athlete) I was then sent for a echo, which showed good structure but a mital (sp?) valve problem I then was fitted with a holter monitor for 48 hrs. I was called to the office immediately after the doctor read the report. In 48 hours I had roughly 5000 episodes of atril fib. rougly 3500 times when my heart stopped for 2.0-2.5 seconds. there was one other electrical issue but I can't remember what it was. I was told not to exercise and take a baby aspirin to prevent stroke till I could see a cardiologist I was advised that I would probably be put on medication as my heart never has a "normal" period. This was Friday and I was set up with a cardiologist for today (Monday) Needless to say I was stressed and frightened waiting for today. I saw the cardiologist this morning and he told me its really nothing to worry about, I ask about the aspirin and the risk of stroke and he just said anyone over 45 should be on a baby aspirin. He did say he would do a stress test next week as I have had several dizzy spells and passed out once (thought at that time to be a vagus nerve problem) I don't know what to do, I have normal blood pressure, though it often is low, excellent cholesterol numbers and I don't think my insurance will pay for another doctor since I have been seen by my GP and the cardiologist today. Does this sound like normal advice? Are these kind of problems "normal"? My GP was so concerned that I was called as soon as they had the results to come in and discuss yet the cardiologist kind of just blew it off? I just don't know whether I should be worried or not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
(female)

alaskawild HB User
Re: Don't know what to think

I'm 42 and I also have celiacs. Was diagnosed last September. With celiacs you can be low is a lot of vitamins and if your potassium is low because of absorption issues due to the celiacs, that can affect your heart. I also saw a cardiologist about a year ago and wore the holster because I was dizzy and I could feel my heart skipping and pausing. They didn't think much of it and said to get my potassium rechecked because it was low. Now that I'm gluten free I hardly get the heart problem any more. I wonder if the longer your on the diet the better you will start to feel. Hard to say. If the doctor wasn't too freaked maybe it is ok but if you don't start to feel better maybe go back and do the holster thing again. Good luck.

Beth

Old 03-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
(female)

yammom HB User
Re: Don't know what to think

Thanks alaskawild, hopefully that is it. I know so little about the heart. I am following the diet for celiac and am taking vit and an iron supplement. I think if everything is o.k. after the stress test I will ask him to do a potassium and possibly magnesium (I read that may cause arrhythmia as well) test as well just to see if I need to supplement those for a little while until by I heal from the gluten damage.

Closed Thread