It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #1
(male)

CFIDS HB User
Unhappy Atrial Fib & GI issues related??? Plz HELP

I 1st got "fluttering" and rapid heart beats in my 20's...when I was 30 I failed a tilt table test and diagnosed with vaso-vagal syncope. I told the heart doctors back then that my heat sometimes raced for no reason and skipped a beat or stopped and restarted. The were unable to caputure anything on EGK or halter monitor. I have had problems for 4 yrs (low testorsterone, CFS, gout, hiatal hernia etc.) I am not over weight but could stand to lose 10-15lbs. Due to my CFS, I have a hard time exercising so I think lack of exercise of the last few yrs has exaserbated my problems.

Fast forward to 2010 and I am almost 35 now...I have been in the ER twice since January with A-fb and the 2nd time (2 days ago), they had to shock me to get me back into normal sinus rhythm. They also put my on beta blockers and I began taking some more magnesium. My potassium runs a bit low also but they told me just to eat more bananas and not to take a potassium supplement.

I gave up caffine years ago, gave up alcohol a year ago, and have been struggling to quit dipping tobacco but I think this latest event will inspire me to do that.

Anway, my A-fib lately seems to be tied to vagus nerver & digestion/gas somewhow. Its like if I eat or drink too soon before lying down for bed or beding over, then just a wrong move and it will trigger what I call a "stomach spasm" and then it sends me into A-fib. Usually within 5min or so, it will correct, but these latest bouts went much longer and I finally has to have the shock treatment. I do have hiatal herina and I also get trapped gas (farts or burps) that also seem to lead to my A-fib.

Any help would be good...I mentioned to the ER doctors about the GI connection as the trigger and they looked at me like I was crazy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
(male)

sico HB User
Re: Atrial Fib & GI issues related??? Plz HELP

A-Fib is very common. Although it is scary, I lately just stay in bed at home and wait for it stop. Been to hospitals and done that.
Lying in bed sometimes makes it feel worse, so I get up and watch TV at 3AM. Dizzy and all. I then do the "Block nose and press as if you are opening your ears" for 30 seconds as Dr Oz said on TV. Or go to the loo and press for 30 seconds. This releases a chemical that might revert the palps or tachycardia.
Works for me more often than not.
Much cheaper than hospitals.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
(male)

CFIDS HB User

Hey thx for the reply...I have heard about the "push like having a bowel movement" before, but I tried that once and it did not work...I wonder if that is for a different kind of arythmia or if it is for sure supposed to work in A-fb or PAC's? I have also been told coughing will help? Is that for sure the case with A-fib?

thx for the reply and encouragement.

Last edited by hb-mod; 03-16-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Removed Quote of immediately preceding post. Please use "Quick" Reply rather than "Quote" Reply. Thanks!

Old 03-10-2010, 07:15 AM   #4
(male)

CFIDS HB User

Update...I went to an electophysiologist (same guy who diagnosed my vasovagal syncope in 2006), and he agreed with the ER doctor's decision to put me on 25mg of Toporol XL per day, and then he added to that 50mg of Flecainide twice per day...

Also, I had went out on my own and gotten a mgnesium supplement and he told me that it was okay to also take the magnesium in addtion to these two perscriptions...I do not want to depend on drugs the rest of my life, but for now I will humor them if it keeps me out of that painful and scary A-fib!

thoughts, comments?

UPDATE: I am gonna hold off on the Flecainide until I try the Toporol XL by itself first for awhile and see how I do...I have a stress test next month scheduled and I am gonna start on my magnesium and hawthorn berry before I get too far into more & more RX's...My next appt with the Electrophysiologist is in 3 months anyway so I have some time to experiment...I am just spooked at some of the things I read wbout the Flecainide so I want to do one thing at a time...anyone have success with beta blockers & 81mg asprin?

Last edited by CFIDS; 03-10-2010 at 09:42 AM.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:59 AM   #5
(female)

lltomich HB Userlltomich HB User

I would very highly doubt they would be connected but I'm not a doctor. I have both problems and the SVT's were cured by ablation recently but my GI problems are a whole other issue. It's simply not the same part of the body. But having heart problems can sure cause GI problems from the stress of having the heart problems. I would go to a separate doctor for the GI stuff. Meds though for the heart could also cause you to have GI problems. In my case I couldn't take meds for the GI problems because it would make the heart problems worse but I didn't take meds for the heart problem. Best Wishes.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User

hello CFIDS

So does your stomach get/feel bloated when you have the abnormal heartbeats?I get that and it is very frightening for sure.I had the heart echo ultrasoud and stress tests,but it only showed a mild mitral valve regurgitation.Which tests confirmed your A-fib?Just wondering,because I get the same sx you do....I can't lean forward or it feels like my heart stops then struggles to beat then pounds a few times and then I feel okay,but it seems like I'm going to black out when it happens.

So I want to do the Holter monitor,but my dr. is a real pain in the butt.....I just saw a different dr. and I'm hoping she will be able to help me.

Well all I know is that is does help to eat smaller meals,but it definitelt seems like the stomach is related to the heart issues.I researched it and it was called Roemheld's Syndrome...it was hard to find anything much on it,but I did come across an article where they said there were several options a dr. could try to see if it helped.One was anti-cholenergics(sp?)...but it did address it being related to the heart.

This is so frustrating...I hope you feel better and your meds help you...I find that prayer is ll I have/need,but what is irritaring is the lack of knowledge these drs. have.....

Please take care....thank you for your post~

scout

Also I just found out from my neuro that I'm vitamin D deficient......have you had your vitmin D checked out?Just a thought.I also have a complicated B12 deficiency that is under control presently.I think hormones has a lot to do with all of it.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
(male)

CFIDS HB User

I have so much to respond to on this but I am cooking dinner...I assume you get an e-mail when I do an update so I will get back to you..I think we can help each other...look up vagus nerve stimulation and atrial-fib...also lookup vasovagal syncope

Last edited by hb-mod; 03-16-2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Removed Quote of immediately preceding post. Please use "Quick" Reply rather than "Quote" Reply. Thanks!

Old 03-14-2010, 04:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

so I found the info on the vasovagal syncope very interesting...hmmmm...my dr. had mentioned something about the vagus nerve,but then he just never follows through with any follow up care/consultation...I'm done with him....what a poor excuse for a dr. he is.

hey so really what I want is a Holter monitor...I'm going to ask my new dr. if she'll write me a script to get that done....it'd make me feel better to really know what's going on when I have those scary episodes.

so yeah it feels like something is strangling inside of me when I lean forward...maybe I have a hernia,tumor....who knows....the dr. is sending me for a CT scan of my abdomen/pelvic area....because it feels dunny under my right ribs....kind of stiff feeling....also if I press my arms leaning on my desk or whatever it also brings the heart thing on....so weird....I can't hold anything with weight or I feel funny in my head...my blood pressure has been lower lately...usually it's about 110,but lately it's 98-100(top number)....my neuro said that could be why I feel funny in my head...so I have to get an EEG and a c-spine MRI too...at least she is doing her job unlike my primary care dr....whi is soon to be history....I guess he only likes to see healthy people...I think he's in the wrong profession for sure.

hope to hear back from you...I really did get a lot of good info on that vaso thing....and the atrial-fib has to be dx by a Holter monitor or some other test,but they didn't say the heart echo ultrasound shows it so that makes me really want to wear the 24 or 48 hour monitor.how was your heart dx?

you've been through quite a lot...you must be a strong person.because you seem like you're taking it the best you can...I try to do the same,but somedays are good and some days I just can't help but cry me a river you know~~~later

thank you

scout

Old 03-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #9
(male)

CFIDS HB User

In 2006 I wore a halter monitor twice (once for 30 days) and they found nothing. It is possible for atrial fibrillation to sometimes just be a rapid, yet normal sinus rhythm. However, I KNEW that sometimes mine was abnormal sinus rhythm and it has only been here in 2010 that they have actually captured this proof on an EKG machine. I also had an echo cardiogram in 2006 that was "normal" but I'd be curious to see if it is still normal now that my issues have returned with a vengance.

I am scheduled to do a stress test on the treadmill (ordered by my doc) next month and he says this will indicate if I have anything physically wrong with my heart or if it is fine and my problems are only electrical/neuro.

You are really young to be having these issues (I was too). I can tell you that I had atrial-fib on & off as early as 22yrs old, but in routine doctore visits they always said it sounds fine and never took me seriously.

I learned I had vasovagal syncope by failing a tilt table test in 2006; but I was never given much info on it nor have I ever fully fainted from it like many who have it can. But I can tell you there is a huge link between the vagus nerve and digestion, breathing and heart rhythm...

I have a hiatl hernia which also can complicate this problem further and it is possible you have a hiatal hernia too...Not sure of a way to test for it other than an upper GI (which I had done), but there is no real cure, just changes in lifestyle/diet like everything else...are you over weight, do you smoke?

Last edited by CFIDS; 03-15-2010 at 09:17 AM.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

hello

..thanks for your reply...first of all I'm very underweight...I weigh 99 pounds...my normal weight is about 110-112...and I'm 5'6"....so I've been losing weight since this stuff started.I do smoke(average of 8 cigarettes per day)...I used to smoke like a pack and a half,but it's been over a year since I cut back...I still want to quit,but now I'm nervous and well that's why I feel the need to smoke...but I do not drink alcohol...ever.

So I also read that the vagus nerve is very sensitive to toxins...so I'm wondering if it has to do with my teeth,because I do have two molars that are cracked and part of a tooth that was fake fell out plus one of my front teeth that had a root canal years ago has a slight crack so I'm just thinking my teeth might be at the root of some of my health problems.....I know I need to go see an oral surgeon...I'm just worried that I'll have heart sx when I'm having teeth pulled...such a baby I am....

Well I just called my new primary drs. office and they are really great...the nurse is going to call me back,but the receptionist listened to all my concerns and agreed the dr.needs to know what's going on.....so hopefully I will get some help.

I'll check back in with you later....thank you for all your help.

Scout

Old 03-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #11
(male)

CFIDS HB User

you are welcome; i wish you well...you need to get your life on a new track NOW while you are still young enough to overcome the health problems...the body can heal itself pretty well, but you have to do your part and are at an advantage being about 10yrs younger than me.

Some people just flat out have to find what makes them "the most normal" and then move on...unfortunately, that is many times some perscription pills that a doctor gives after a 10minute consult and then people just go back to their ordinary old ways of being unhealthy. I am no exeption completely; I still dip tobacco and wish to quit.

Don't get me wrong, there are people with serious genetic defects that would be sick no matter what, or those who have wrecked their body beyond repair. But you are not one of them yet! 80% of people with these "phantom" issues can get somewhat better if they are willing to pay the price...some conditions are harder than others...for example I have CFIDS...there is dental link to that as well...I have yet to get better and am often in misery...but I know that the half-azz health improvements I have made (stopped drinking, caffine, most candy, sleeping more, light exercise, more fruits & veggies, certain carfully selected supplements etc.) are what keeps me going and still able to work despite the disadvantage.

Sure, some people might still need perscriptions to live and function, but the healthy life is a big part of getting well...I'd suggest you stop sugar and caffine in addition to smoking...you are young enough to recover; it could be that you will need to be on pills to feel better, but I bet if you radically changed your life you might feel better. Unfortunately, I miss the happy hours, chasing women, softball league, most golfing, lake, etc...I have had to give up a lot so far to function while I continue to search for an answer...if all you have is the heart beat issues, then consider yourself lucky for now. I think it is great you are doing research and stuff, but in your journey you may come to find the insensitive and arrogant doctors who can't really help you and won't listen to you...that is what many people are dealing with (including me to an extent)...but there are also plenty of "quacks" in the natural healing world too so you have to weigh the options and utilize resources from both the natural world and the traditional medicine world to have the best chance of understanding your condition; or much less, getting well. I tend to gravitate tot he natural world but am on a small dose of beta blockers right now to help my heart beat as a just in case measure...I hope to get off of them in 6 months if the doctor will agree.

Last edited by CFIDS; 03-15-2010 at 03:29 PM.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #12
(male)

jacwrd HB User

I have the same problem when I eat. When, I lay on my right side, I get a fib after I eat...your not crazy!!!! I changed my diet...fruit, salads, eats less portions and no fast foods!!! Most important exercise more!!!!

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-15-2010 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Closed Thread